Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . I love my Skyhook but I think I may love the PP's looks even more. I have not ridden a DVT Pikes Peak yet and will soon, but in the meanwhile perhaps some of you might share your thoughts on the differences?

I'd appreciate it (and others might, also).

Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've ridden many Skyhook 1200's and loved them but the Pikes Peak is noticeably nimbler.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Pikes Peak looks better, in part due to all the carbon fiber cosmetics, and has a more fine tune-able suspension suited for track and/or spirited street riding. It also has better wheels.

The S model is more versatile, due to it's more advanced electronic suspension. That suspension is good for most things, but not great at anything. It also increases the long term cost of ownership, as the Skyhook suspension parts are very expensive and not all are rebuildable. How much those costs would impact ownership is largely a matter of chance, and at least anecdotally it seems the problems Ducati had with Skyhook in the first few years have mostly been resolved.

In my brutally honest opinion, both are great bikes, and both have their gimmicks. Skyhook is OK, but that's about it. There will be days when you're glad you have it, and others when you would prefer to have a normal, high quality suspension setup. I own a bike with a track prepped suspension; Skyhook is nowhere close to that level of responsiveness. It's not good enough for what it costs, and it desperately needs factory supported spring tuning options, because as-is it's undersprung for nearly everyone who buys it. Not going to happen, though. The Pikes Peak on the other hand has turned mostly into an appearance package, whereas pre-2015 it was a genuine article race bike, nearly identical to the ones Ducati raced up the mountain. It's overpriced for what you get, given that the Skyhook suspension costs more, and beyond that the only performance oriented difference is the wheels. Still, it is a sharp looking bike, and the PP models typically hold their value better.

So there is no right or wrong answer here, it's just a matter of what you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, great replies. I actually have OZ wheels on my '18 1260, plus a bit of carbon on my front and rear fenders. So I could spend $1500-$2000 on a fine replica paint job, $5000-$7000+ on a nice low mileage Pikes Peak or just be happy with my Multi, as I am. And, like a bunch of you guys, I'm still thinking about the V4. I think I'm getting cabin fever with this shutdown!

·
Registered
274 Posts
IMO, If all you care about are looks, you can easily add some decals and CF bits from the ducati parts catalogue...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey, great replies. I actually have OZ wheels on my '18 1260, plus a bit of carbon on my front and rear fenders. So I could spend $1500-$2000 on a fine replica paint job, $5000-$7000+ on a nice low mileage Pikes Peak or just be happy with my Multi, as I am. And, like a bunch of you guys, I'm still thinking about the V4. I think I'm getting cabin fever with this shutdown!
If you can afford it, and you want one, go buy another bike. This shutdown is killing motorsports dealers, and couldn't come at a worse time of the year. I'm sure they would appreciate the business.

You don't happen to have the Carlos Checka replica wheels, do you? Those things are sick.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Fairly certain the PP is just decals/stickers, not paint?

(PP owners will chime in, I'm sure)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks are, of course, nice, but I really want performance, especially suspension. I do like the Sky Hook and have an on again, off again love/hate with Ohlins. It depends on the bike. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep my MTS. It's got 14,000-plus miles which is pretty good considering I have three bikes. Again, thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
The livery of the PP, I think, is decals under clear. The suspension are exactly what u want if your riding include trackdays.
I easily change settings when I go 2 up and/or bags. This thing rides like a dream, flickable, even though not a lightweight bike and plenty of acceleration. The original PP raced by Greg Tracy first, then Carlin Dunne (RIP) were off the floor models, with just a few difference, ae exaust, wheels, a shorter handlebar and suspension, I believe the front Brembo were also upgraded and still are on modern PP compared to "S" and Touring models. Engine internals, chassis, electronics, were all the same as a regular Multistrada. Of course the Pikes Peak has CF bits as well. There was never a "race spec" PP, like 916 SPS or any "R" model superbikes The first ones were numbered, just like some older "S" ducati model were numbered in the past.
I love my 2016 PP, and will never sell it. Next, hopefully, I will add to the stable a base model SF V4, I will install non-electronic Ohlins on it and proper lighter weight wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
@AXSPwr
Re: post #3 above
I agree with everything you said up to where the Pikes Peak is now just cosmetic.
Up to 2017 perhaps yes except for Ohlins.
2018 and later now sport Marchesini Forged wheels in addition to Ohlins.
The only two things I would have added off-the-assembly-line are 1) electronic Ohlins and 2) sport tires like Rosso 3's (or Angel GT's at a minimum)
P.S. Adjustable rear-sets should be available as a possible 3rd on all sport-bikes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think your '16 has the QS, does it? I had the '16 1200S (put nearly 33,000 miles on it) but traded up to the '18 (and got creamed financially—not a big market to "high" mileage Ducs, huh?). It has QS, a nicer TFT, ridiculous Hill Hold (nine seconds only) and don't discount those 60ccs! I think, with my OZ wheels, full Termi exhaust and a really nice set-up from Palmer in the UK, for my tinted windshield and "hold off" mount, I'm good until the V4s. My Russell Day-Long seat rocks! Thanks again for all comments!

·
Registered
278 Posts
@AXSPwr
Re: post #3 above
I agree with everything you said up to where the Pikes Peak is now just cosmetic.
Up to 2017 perhaps yes except for Ohlins.
2018 and later now sport Marchesini Forged wheels in addition to Ohlins.
The only two things I would have added off-the-assembly-line are 1) electronic Ohlins and 2) sport tires like Rosso 3's (or Angel GT's at a minimum)
P.S. Adjustable rear-sets should be available as a possible 3rd on all sport-bikes.
I mentioned the better wheels twice. It's unfortunate that despite being a higher quality forged design, the Pikes Peak wheels don't look all that different from the regular MTS cast wheels. Even if they were, it's a huge price jump for some wheels and carbon fiber bits. For it's cost, the Pikes Peak bikes should have included the touring kit w/ matching bag covers. Riders can easily remove the center stand if they don't want it, but they shouldn't have to pay extra at that price point.

Either that or those should have been carbon fiber wheels.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I got the touring kit with panniers in the late season deal but I agree that the MSRP was over-priced.
In fact, I think Ducati may be pricing itself out of the market if they continue their price escalation.
IMO, the "Ducati Premium" has gotten out of hand.
I'm toying with the idea to get another Panigale. Well for about the price of a base 2020 V4, I can get a 2020 S1000RR with all the bells and whistles such as forged wheels, heated grips, cruise control, launch control & pit-lane limiter, hill start control, tire pressure monitor and a state of the art display including built-in navigation. It's also rated better both on the street and on the track. Faced with this information, I would feel awfully stupid and gullible buying a Panigale V4 today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has been a very helpful thread. I love the look of the PP but was worried about the Ohlins vs. Skyhook. How much better or worse would be a standard suspension over the electronically controlled version? Doesn't sound like much of a hurdle based on the above. For now, will keep riding my 1260s until the V4 is released and the 2021 models are firmly announced. Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The livery of the PP, I think, is decals under clear. The suspension are exactly what u want if your riding include trackdays.
I easily change settings when I go 2 up and/or bags. This thing rides like a dream, flickable, even though not a lightweight bike and plenty of acceleration. The original PP raced by Greg Tracy first, then Carlin Dunne (RIP) were off the floor models, with just a few difference, ae exaust, wheels, a shorter handlebar and suspension, I believe the front Brembo were also upgraded and still are on modern PP compared to "S" and Touring models. Engine internals, chassis, electronics, were all the same as a regular Multistrada. Of course the Pikes Peak has CF bits as well. There was never a "race spec" PP, like 916 SPS or any "R" model superbikes The first ones were numbered, just like some older "S" ducati model were numbered in the past.
I love my 2016 PP, and will never sell it. Next, hopefully, I will add to the stable a base model SF V4, I will install non-electronic Ohlins on it and proper lighter weight wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
"
The original PP raced by Greg Tracy first, then Carlin Dunne (RIP) were off the floor models..."

Not even close. I was at Santa Barbara Ducati when Carlin and his dad were building the PP they raced up the mountain. Carlin walked me through what they did to the bike as they put tires on my multi: blueprinted engine, custom hand built pipe, trick ECU and tuning, etc, etc, etc...and flat black paint so it was a sleeper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts