Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - i would just like to say thank you to everybody who pipes in here. I am REALLY looking for as much advice as possible - so PLEASE add your $.02
worth.
I am a DIY'er - so i enjoy working on my bike myself (plus the nearest DUC dealer is over 100 miles away)

My 2001 996 with (7700 miles) has been running really crappy lately - it bogs at 2800, backfires and continually misses (and stalls)

As an experiment, I picked up a set of cheep plugs and a fuel filter from Napa (all for under $20) and the bike ran like a dream for about an hour.

Now its back to bogging and stalling...I took the new plugs out and they were totally covered in black (carbon maybe??)

Im now planning on purchasing a good set of plugs and perhaps an OEM or aftermarket fuel filter (and get rid of the cheep $3 napa one) and possibly some new wires.

My questions are as follows:

1) Could the cheep plugs be to blame for the excessive fouling after just an hour of riding....or am i looking at something worse?

2) Why do the Ducati OEM plugs cost $30 each on most websites? Am i wasting my money - are the $30 plugs "special" or something?
Is there a better option?

3) I also need the 2 air filters for the bike...any good aftermarket ones or should i stick to OEM?

4) why am i having SOOOOO much trouble finding simple parts for this bike? Air filters, fuel filter, plugs, wires - are we just completely tied to OEM or does anybody have a good aft market site?

·
Registered
794 Posts
First of all, I don't think you are having a "parts problem." The NAPA fuel filter is used by just about everyone these days and works great - I've been using one since '97. As far as "cheap plugs" go - I have been going to Walmart and buying the sub $4 a piece Champion plugs for over 10 years now and they work terrific. Air filters? The foam filters in the air runners are made to be cleaned and re-used, so I'm not sure what it is that you think you need there.

It sounds like you are having a fueling problem rather than a parts problem. Something is causing your bike to run rich and foul the plugs. I can only guess at why after the new parts the bike ran well for a short duration of time - probably until it fouled the plugs.

We'll have to wait for a few more to chime in on this but obviously something is yet to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
OEM filters are good. I have a reasonable condition in airbox filter from European Cycles if you are interested. I prefer the OEM though.

OEM plug wires are fine and seldom go bad.

Fueling issue or electrical. My bet is electrical after you check the fuel filter and the fuel lines in the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Looks to me like a f/i problem, if the plugs are coming out black. TPS reset recently? Getting the fuel injection set by a pro is relatively cheap and easily accomplished. If it hasn't been done recently, it should. Just my 2¢.

Ron

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Ducatis are finicky with regards to tuning. It requires a balancing act to get them tuned precisely. Best bet is to take it to a dealer, spend the bucks and get it set up properly. After that you should be fine....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep - TPS reset, aftermarket plug wires - sounds like air/fuel ratio is off - I'm not familiar with 996 - have a 999s myself- I used VDST software to adjust trim for low rpm stutter. Something like this would still costa few hundred $. Unless you have the expensive diagnostic tools there are lots for DIY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.