Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding for 29 years please what is the advantage of changing my standard H/m bars ?
Sounds dumb i know ?

Shane
Australia

·
Registered
592 Posts
i put narrower (= bonus) stiffer (= bonus) stronger (= bonus) cheaper (= bonus) protaper bars on and am very happy with them. they sit a little higher and further forward than stock ones so i have more room when hunched over on the bike. feel is better, response is better as the bars are stiffer. I've crashed em with acerbis handguards on and they are still perfect. they look better as they are not black.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Actually not really any except for personal preference. If you not uncomfortable there is not a reason to change your stock bar aside from looks, or the position you feel best in. The stock bar on rubber mounted and move a bit but that takes up vibration and is fine for most stuff.

The Protapers are not made to handle crashing a 400 pound street bike on asphalt so they will bend in most cases, and that is not really a reason to change your bars. Bar stiffness you won't need until you go really fast on the track and want more feel, and it may make the ride harsher if your hands are sensitive and you hold on too tight.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
The Protapers are not made to handle crashing a 400 pound street bike on asphalt so they will bend in most cases, and that is not really a reason to change your bars...
Not true at all. Pro Tapers are MUCH stronger than the stock bars, and I can tell you from personal experience that they can withstand a 400 lb. bike falling on them quite heavily without bending. So there's every reason to change them!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Pedro-
Which model of protaper, did you purchase ? Alsp, whats the length of the bar ? They look alot shorter than the stock bar, or is it just the photo.
F-

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not true at all. Pro Tapers are MUCH stronger than the stock bars, and I can tell you from personal experience that they can withstand a 400 lb. bike falling on them quite heavily without bending. So there's every reason to change them!
Trust me I have 12 years riding with Protapers on the dirt.... Of course the Protapers are much stronger than stock...but my point is they are not made to handle a crash on a 400 lbs bike .Take a fall on a 400 pound bike with wide bars and they are bent, period. To much leverage on the bar.. Sure they may not bend on a tip over or even minor slide if your lucky... but I've bent about 4 pairs over the last 10 years on a 230 pound dirt bike and that is on dirt. But the bottom line is almost anybar is going to bend on a bike this heavy and such a wide bar. That is my argument... why the heck get them if you going to crash your Hyper..the bar most likely won't survive anyway. By them only as a needed replacement.. It isn't like a dirt bike where they most likely will survive a crash.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I changed mine for the bend.After removing the stock plastic, mirror, hand guard, blinker, kitchen sink.I noticed the bars are really swept back.So a trip to Scotts and a pair of pro taper carmichaels seemed to work .

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
What am I, lying???

Trust me I have 12 years riding with Protapers on the dirt.... Of course the Protapers are much stronger than stock...but my point is they are not made to handle a crash on a 400 lbs bike .Take a fall on a 400 pound bike with wide bars and they are bent, period. To much leverage on the bar.. Sure they may not bend on a tip over or even minor slide if your lucky... but I've bent about 4 pairs over the last 10 years on a 230 pound dirt bike and that is on dirt. But the bottom line is almost anybar is going to bend on a bike this heavy and such a wide bar. That is my argument... why the heck get them if you going to crash your Hyper..the bar most likely won't survive anyway. By them only as a needed replacement.. It isn't like a dirt bike where they most likely will survive a crash.
WTF?! It almost sounds like you're accusing me of making this shit up. What part of "personal experience" do you not comprehend?

When I crashed the Hyper, it was a front end tuck on the brakes in 2nd gear, about 50 mph. I hit the ground hard enough to break my left shoulder and seven ribs, damage muscles in my upper arm, break my foot, and destroy my helmet.

My Pro Taper bars DID NOT BEND. Don't tell me they won't survive a tip over.

This was NOT a tip over:

Note the handguard is twisted forward. THE BAR IS NOT...

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Anybody crashed and bent the stockers? Are they really that weak?
i haven't crashed mine...knock on wood. i have seen a few posts where guys have had minor tip overs and the stock bars didn't bend. they snapped :eek:

i think i like the look of the pro-tapers, even before a crash ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have gone off my hypermotard since someone on this forum referred to the brake and clutch reservoirs as urine samples.

Raising the bars would only place them more firmly in my face. Quite distracting just thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
you made up those photos too, huh? :rolleyes:

WTF?! It almost sounds like you're accusing me of making this shit up. What part of "personal experience" do you not comprehend?

When I crashed the Hyper, it was a front end tuck on the brakes in 2nd gear, about 50 mph. I hit the ground hard enough to break my left shoulder and seven ribs, damage muscles in my upper arm, break my foot, and destroy my helmet.

My Pro Taper bars DID NOT BEND. Don't tell me they won't survive a tip over.

This was NOT a tip over:

Note the handguard is twisted forward. THE BAR IS NOT...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pro taper bars

AZ,

I ride an XR 400 in the eastern woods and I have bent up protapers (CR high bends) more than once.

I crashed on a hard rock up hill (broke a tib on that one) and my protapers bent badly.

On the other hand, I have crashed countless times and they survived just fine. It seems to me that here are so many variables that can effect the bar in a crash that general statements often carry significant exceptions.

That said, I run the stock bars on the hyper and I do plan on switching to protapers as I prefer protapers to most other bars.

Issues with protapers are the amount of standard diameter bar space is limited so when you start bolting on enduro computers, GPS systems and the like, you run into clamping on the tapered diameter portion which places the equipment at unusual viewing angles, but that is a very minor gripe.

My opinion is that if you like the protapers, bolt'em on, they are a cheap mod.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm an eastern woods racer as well and have good luck with ProTapers and Renthal FatBars. Yeah I've bent them but it takes a big get off. My last big crash on a rocky downhill that shattered my clavicle tore the handguard half off the bike but the bars were fine. Handguards and their mounting have something to do with it too.

For me the reason to swap and add real handguards is to avoid the stock bars snapping and causing more expensive damage to the side of the bike in a tip over, or leaving you stuck if your on a road trip. Its a survivability issue. If you crash much harder you'll likely have other problems and won't care about the bike at that point. The stock bar is full of locating holes that create stress risers.

A few questions. I have an extra set of Hebo Varibars from my GasGas I plan to use. These are like ProTapers, very strong bars from Europe and the wall at the end is actually thicker than a ProTaper. I love the bend, its very close to the KTM SX bend, not much sweep. The available space for control mounting on the straight sections is 7.5" per side (determined by sliding a brake/clutch master cyl until it stops at the taper.) This will create a distance between the inside edge of the HM brake/clutch master clamps of 17.5", the OEM bars are 14.5".

Thats 1.5" per side, are the wires/cables hoses long enough?

Is 7.5" enough for the controls? I have a G2 throttle which is a little shorter than the stocker.

I like the Acerbis Rally Pro guards, they look good on the bike to me, and a local dealer has a black set on the shelf I can probably get cheap. It looks like these can be used with the stock levers. I suspect that a spacer can be added to the mount to avoid having to bend the guard to clear the master cyls, I know I can do this with the Moose guards from my GasGas. The Zetas use a long spacer mount and basically straight bend. I prefer not to bend alloy guards a lot (a little is fine)without heat as they can work harden and snap, and its impossible to heat the Acerbis guards. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
+1 (million)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've ditched mine with pro tapers and they are perfect, they are so strong in fact that the steering stop tab on the frame bent and the fork tube too the impact. the wall thickness at the tip is a good 3mm, the stock bars are 1mm tops!

I think my bars were the woods low, 780 or 800 mm can't remember. looks like they are not listed. they were funny to put on. if i matched stock position the bike was great to steer at slow speed and terrible going fast, forward was great for fast but terrible slow so i ended up going out with the clamp loose and pushing them back and forth to get a good balance and am now really happy.

the shorter bars also make for faster lock to lock turning in traffic as i have short arms and its less of a throw to turn full lock.

I'd let the protapers take the pepsi crash challenge over the piss weak stock bars any day. I think the point is that YES the protapers will bend and you can ride home, the stockers will snap and then your fuc*&d

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I crashed my stockers into the side of a mountain and they did fine.

Despite that, I still changed to the Pro Tapers (Henry/Reed). My only beef was that the controls got a bit cramped...

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
standard bars ??

I get it
1/ reduce risk of more damage/ cost including me in a fall
2/ stiffer feel (thats sound bad) !
3/ improved handling for some
4/ narrower than the b 52 standard bars "car clippers"

5 but proof will be in the fall and brand

still learning every day