Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the rear wheel removed, if I grab the sprocket and move it back and forth there is a little bit of play. Is this normal or should there not be any play at all, meaning that the bushings are worn that are in the rear wheel?

Upon reassembling, should there be a light coat of grease on the sprocket carrier tabs that go into the cush drives?

Has anyone had to replace their's?

TIA

·
Registered
37 Posts
The play you refer to is usually normal to a extent.
The part is some times called a Cush Drive.
It cushions the drive line so on acceleration it feels smother and quieter.

I don't understand the other part of the question, but you should use grease to reassemble the axle internal parts so that it will not get corroded from the elements. A small coating is all that is needed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I take mine apart every winter layup and note the play. It is always there, has not incresed. You must have some play so that you can insert the tabs as you call them into the cushions of the rear wheel.

I always lube them with water resistant grease like the Bel-Ray brand.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
572 Posts
I quote the same play on my 998. When i grab the sprocket, there's a little free play from sprocket (a little bit sliding on the cush drives). Cushdrives seem to be ok (no crack, still in places).
Is it also normal on the 998 (and other Single swingarm duc?).

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you go back to older bikes like classics, Z1, H1 the cush drive rubber were flat and about an inch thick. Now these seemed to have an ability to absorb. I wonder if the small area of rubber is most of the cause of the sharpness of the drive line in either slowing or accelerating. I want to say jerkiness for lack of a better word, but its not that bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts