Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the clean up and prep back to street legal I noticed there is a bit of play with the front sprocket. I can wobble it probably 3\16 of an inch. Is this normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have you ever checked the sprocket retainer plate (or whatever it's called)?

I'm guessing yours looks a lot like this:

EDIT: This of course assumes they were still using these plates in 2000, and that you're talking about the bike in your sig.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever checked the sprocket retainer plate (or whatever it's called)?

I'm guessing yours looks a lot like this:

EDIT: This of course assumes they were still using these plates in 2000, and that you're talking about the bike in your sig.
Yes and it looks pretty warn out. Is this the source of the wobbly sprocket?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My front sprocket rocks quite a lot on the splines. Shaft does not look worn and it is the same with brand new sprocket. I would have expected a new sprocket to be much more rigid than this. New locking plate does not control the rock.
1994 750SS.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
My front sprocket rocks quite a lot on the splines. Shaft does not look worn and it is the same with brand new sprocket. I would have expected a new sprocket to be much more rigid than this. New locking plate does not control the rock.
1994 750SS.
Auumining you hav ethe same locking plate we have been discussing, there also s/b a shim behind the sprocket, there are 5 available sizes, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1 and 1.1 (i presume mm). Do you have one behind your sprocket? Right size?

·
Registered
979 Posts
ummmm.... wait. I don't have one of those, I should probably look into buying one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Auumining you hav ethe same locking plate we have been discussing, there also s/b a shim behind the sprocket, there are 5 available sizes, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1 and 1.1 (i presume mm). Do you have one behind your sprocket? Right size?
Yes I do. I have never seen a shim behind sprocket on my bike.
Do you just lock sprocket to shaft with keeper plate and then feeler gauge the gap behind sprocket to get shim size?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Yes I do. I have never seen a shim behind sprocket on my bike.
Do you just lock sprocket to shaft with keeper plate and then feeler gauge the gap behind sprocket to get shim size?
That might work. I haven't found out what the acceptable variance is, I bought a full set, and went with what felt best.
Not sure about stacking them either.

Might check with a friendly Ducati mechanic.

The service manual is silent on the subject, but the parts manual shows the parts.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I dont have a shim behind the sprocket on my bike? I assumed all the shaft shimming was done inside the cases?

** Just had a look in the parts manual, there is a shim listed!

0670.16.170 shim.th. 0.8
0670.16.171 shim.th. 1.0
0670.16.172 shim.th. 1.2

Bizarre... There are a lot of parts on my bike missing I never knew were missing because they were never there :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
I dont have a shim behind the sprocket on my bike? I assumed all the shaft shimming was done inside the cases?

** Just had a look in the parts manual, there is a shim listed!

0670.16.170 shim.th. 0.8
0670.16.171 shim.th. 1.0
0670.16.172 shim.th. 1.2

Bizarre... There are a lot of parts on my bike missing I never knew were missing because they were never there :D
OK listen... I am not totally sure, but I bought my bike with the original sprocket installed. I definitely didnt have the shim. So I am really confused. Is it supposed to be rigid? or is there float in the sprocket?

·
Registered
954 Posts
There is another shim just inside the case on the sprocket shaft which I thought was doing all the work of keeping any side-play in check?

Unless the sprocket-side shim is there so both sides are supported etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking about this some more, I think that shims behind the sprocket could prevent the teeth edges on the inside of the keeper plate from getting hammered. But this would still leave the teeth on the outer edge of the plate vulnerable. This side is where I usually see the wear.
Does anyone have an official view on this from Dutai themselves?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking about this some more, I think that shims behind the sprocket could prevent the teeth edges on the inside of the keeper plate from getting hammered. But this would still leave the teeth on the outer edge of the plate vulnerable. This side is where I usually see the wear.
Does anyone have an official view on this from Dutai themselves?
Oops, spelt Ducati wrong must get new batteries in keyboard!
I am now wondering just how many people have these shims fitted, or are even aware of them.
As I said before, a definitive answer from a factory trained person would be most helpful

·
Registered
746 Posts
would have thought a small amount of float would be ok.
I didnt have any shims on my original front sprocket either.

No damage has been done, so must be ok.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No shim on mine either...& also a bit of play..i seem to recall actually ringing the place where i bought the parts as i was concerned & was told the play is pretty normal & the only thing to be concerned about was wear in the retaining/keeper plate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts