Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at S4RS models and a lot of them have plastic tanks. Handmade replacement tanks seem really expensive.

What 'good' cost effective options exist? Factory tanks? Aftermarket tanks? Retofit options from similar models?

TIA,
Sid

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I also have one. Great bike, with this one major flaw. Do a search, the subject has been beat to death. Basically, there are two options:
1) Buy an expensive replacement. There are some really nice ones out there
2) Keep the stock tank. Coat it. Buy ethanol free fuel whenever possible. Don’t leave non ethanol fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree it fixes but I still find unacceptable we need to worry about this, especially in the "luxury" segment the brand plays in. To me this is the tail wagging the dog.

It's a known issue for years and models/versions. If I'm not wrong it started on the Multistradas with the first water cooled Multi in 2010 and it lasts till today, TEN years later! They have had the 13, 14, 15 and 18 revisions to fix it and still haven't.... And the USA is not the only country in the world who unfortunately mixes Ethanol to Gasoline (or makes the Mojitoline, as I call it).

And that thing about "the charm" of the italian machines being these little flaws should be long gone. I really don't understand why they settle for it.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Thanks, Chuckracer. Brain fart.
S4RS had plastic tank in ‘07, so farther back than you thought.
Ducati bought Ascerbis plastic tanks, but for some reason, apparently not made out of the material Ascerbis usually uses, which doesn’t swell. Maybe to improve paint adhesion ?
What is really disappointing is that Ducati knew within a year that they had a swelling problem, yet continued installing tanks made of the same material for YEARS , then failed to replace them.

Reactions: fipenna

·
Registered
361 Posts
What is really disappointing is that Ducati knew within a year that they had a swelling problem, yet continued installing tanks made of the same material for YEARS , then failed to replace them.
Exactly my point. Known issue for more than a decade in more than a model. Why not solve it?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
That’s an excellent question and does not speak well for Ducati Upper Management.
Answer: The initial error on the tank material was badly mishandled. DUM could have nipped this in the bud , after all, the tanks were made by an outside vendor.
Instead, DUM decided to “ watch the situation” because changing tank material or vendors would be an admission of guilt.
Later when the scope of the issue became apparent, the cost of dealing with it became prohibitive. They had dealt with it with a limited warranty Initially, and I’m going to assume Italian law allowed them to ignore any liability past the original owner and warranty period.
This whole fiasco does not speak well of DUM and certainly does not qualify Ducati as a premium or luxury brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts