Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed a burning/melting plastic smell emanating from my Duc. I was riding and was stuck in traffic, the temp reading was over 210. The bike has about 800 miles on it. Is this normal?

BTW, I have my first service scheduled for next Thursday. The dealership told me not to worry about going over 600 miles for the first service. They had to order my fork shims so I'm waiting for them to arrive from Italy.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just noticed a burning/melting plastic smell emanating from my Duc. I was riding and was stuck in traffic, the temp reading was over 210. The bike is has about 800 miles on it. Is this normal?

BTW, I have my first service scheduled for next Thursday. The dealership told me not to worry about going over 600 miles for the first service. They had to order my fork shims so I'm waiting for them to arrive from Italy.
I'm going to say no.

I don't like to smell anything "burning".

There is sometimes a burning smell of "new" when operating a vehicle.

But if you think that it's not quite right......you're right.

Dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine had a hot plastic-y smell that I would notice time to time...now that I have 1800 miles on it, it seemed to have stopped making that smell. I think what you're experiencing is just "new bike" smell. :D

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Mine did that when sitting in traffic and temps went high enough to kick on the fan. After a little while it will go away. I'm not sure what the source is... but I've not noticed any sort of troubles as a result.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
Do you have a Touring, well, or any model with a center stand? Mine melted the little rubber dealy that rests against the Cataclyptic Perversion / udder

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is the rubber thing on the center stand, it's something Ducati still hasn't fixed. It's was on the 2010 model and on the 2012 model you smell it again.........:)

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
That must be it! Mine looks very much like that. I must say that is a silly design.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just checked mine...its slightly deformed maybe, but doesn't look like the one pictured above...maybe it just needs more time to cook.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
I put some FIRE BLANKET type fabric on mine and glued it with some Highest heat silicone. Works sorta , And I put a big glob of the silicone on the rubber bumper...
This is where some asbestos would work well...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check the exhaust valve cable housing near the valve.
For this there is an update.
The 2010 models have a free fix and by the newer models this problem is already solved in the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is this the reason your heel hits the center stand while riding?

Are we supposed to hold it off the exhaust to keep it from happening while riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I experienced a burning plastic smell and had smoke coming from somewhere behind the chin faring during a ride in the mountains with nice weather. I had the ABS disabled @ the time (connection?). This was B-4 my 1st service.
The dealer was unable to reproduce it and chocked it up to some burnt oil. This has not happened for me since that ride, but the bike only has 1000 miles on it. I did not notice this problem when commuting in the heat.
The center stand rubber looks ok, as does the exhaust valve cable housing from what I could see. The bike is a '12 MST.

·
Registered
734 Posts
MTSott2

Is that a shot of the center stand bumper from your bike? Is that something I should be ready for when I get mine? Does anyone have a fix for that or do you just buy a bunch and change them out when they get bad enough?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts