Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I've got this thing in my head about traveling from Virginia to Alaska this July. After watching many Youtube videos I'm confident about doing it except for one thing, I never see anybody do it 2 up! I will change to 90/10 tires and run enduro mode on the packed gravel but with some abs. Not doing the Dalton highway. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've done the trip from Charlotte NC to Skagway. Not much gravel on Al-Can highway but further north its questionable. Not all gas stations marked on GPS are or were open. Carry extra. Crossing the border was not a issue but can't carry more than a pocket knife. Yes we did see bears on the side of the road. Not to speak of wolf pack warnings from DOT. You will need to change your tires at lease once. Plan ahead. Many locals dealerships are not fully equip for changing street tires.Or have your size. Its an issue. Do it before the Al-Can.I do not see two up being an issue but go with another bike rider so you look after each other. Its a rain forest up there so bring your best suite.Plan your overnight stops and miles for the day. 1k miles per day untill the Al-Can then slow down and enjoy it maybe 300 per.Cell phones work on and off. Carry weather radio an CB. Put a rock screen on your headlights and water cooler. Adding a front fender extender will help too. Plan on dropping your bike at lease once. I did it on a '06 Aprilia Caponord. Well worth the trip and stories.
BobL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bobl, thanks for the comprehensive response. All good points . I’ve started with the rock shields. 2016 multistrada headlamp shields?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mike: Once you have roughly planned your route, share it here. You may also want to join the Facebook group MotoGpsRoutes; I only joined FB last February and exclusively for motorcycle stuff. Anyhow, once like-minded folk know where and when you may be in their neighbourhood, you will get offers for free and fun overnight stays. I'll be the first! I'm just a little north west of Vancouver BC Canada so if you are passing by on the way to or from Alaska, you have a place to stay.

I just ordered rock guards and a front head guard from Iconic Parts (https://iconicparts.uk/) because the radiator guard design is composed of little hexagons and looked like it will provide better protection than the Ducati design. Evotech look really good too. I also ordered Barkbusters due to the overwhelming support for this product from Multistrada forums. My next project is to sort out the buffeting from my windscreen. I also just ordered spacers and will try these first. Forum posters suggest that the Givi touring screen combined with spacers is a good solution. I'm about 6'2" and my Enduro screen will not work for longer trips at this time due to excessive buffeting, especially as I plan to add speakers to my helmet.

Here's a link to the Puig headlight guards. I had not considered this yet: ducati multistrada headlamp guards - Google Search:

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rick,
Great feedback, I will be leaving Cody, WY on July 9th then on to Glacier NP and up north. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts