Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get the SW-Motech skid plate and was wondering what kind of tires i should get... right now I'm on my Q3s but i was riding 80% road 20% track.
I'd like tires that can handle roads and dirt roads (mainly packed sand/rocks) comfortably. I saw some folks getting TKC80s and I don't need this, just tires that would be in between the TKC and the METZELER TOURANCE NEXT mc73w I think... any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm probably going to put the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on my 1100 next. I don't plan to go any distance off pavement with it, but I like the ability of a blockier tread to deal with loose stuff on pavement.

I've run the Shinko E-804/805 on my Africa Twin: they're a similar design to the TKC80, but cheaper (and may last longer). I've got more confidence on pavement with that bike on those tires than any other I've ridden. I've dragged the pegs and been able to hold my own with much sportier bikes in the twisties.

I currently have the Shinko 705 on my AT; I think they're more 70 road/30 dirt, but they do well on packed sandy/rocky surfaces. They look less aggressive than the TKC80, but are only available in a 170 rear; I've still considered trying them out on the Hyper…

·
Super Moderator
26,203 Posts
I used Avon Trailriders on my KTM 950 Supermoto and my 990 SMT with good results. There's a lot of dirt up here in the Adirondacks and they worked great. They were awesome in the twisties as well. Recommended!

DSC_4652.jpg
DSC_4653-X3.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys!
going to check out those ones!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought Pirelli MT60s because I wanted to drive sand roads also and small rocks always made me sliding. They looked "dirt" enough but aren`t and small rocks still "lift bike to slide". Next time I will get the TKC80s. Most of the TKC users claim that they are good on they pavement too as long as you don`t do track days :D

My driving is probably 20% dirt and 80% pavement. Mostly because of the tires.

·
Registered
397 Posts
+1 on the Avon Trailriders. They are decent on dirt roads and easily better than the prior dedicated street tire I had before on pavement
Are the Avons better than the scorpion Trail 2 tires? I love the trail2s on the road - dirt - dunno nothing really to compare them to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts