Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a Pitbull F0044-000R stand (and a front stand as well) for my 2006 999 for the holidays. Its the model specifically made for the non-spooled 999's. So I tried it out with the tabs on the stand max'd out as wide as they could go and tried to put them on the flat spot just under the axle nut (see arrow #1 ). It didn't fit, you can see where it nicked up the paint trying...this was upsetting. I don't think it should go under the sloped part of the swing-arm (arrow #2) as it could slide off.

I could get the spools (~$20) and a new tab w/ a "V" shaped spool hook ($40). I could also grind the posts back another 1/4".... but I shouldn't have to spend another $60 to get this to work. Especially when this stand is specifically marketed for the 999.

Am I missing something or do I have to go spooled to get this to work w/o crapping up the paint on the swingarm every time I lift it? This wouldn't be an issue if it had a smidge more adjust-ability.

The image on their website shows (what I am guessing) an older model swingarm, but it seems that it should work w/ later models as well. :confused:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The older swingarm had two different heights, so only the Ducati stand would work. The best thing to do on the newer arm is throw on the spools and get a Woodcraft stand- that's what I use. Probably cheaper too and made in the US.

·
27,525 Posts
"Non-Spooled 999's" means the older style, grey swinger that you can't put spools on. You've got the wrong stand tops. You need spools and the V tops.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Get swingarm bobbins and the screw right into the 8mm tapped holes on the side of your swinger. You'll need the cradle holders for the stand which should have came with it.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
"Non-Spooled 999's" means the older style, grey swinger that you can't put spools on. You've got the wrong stand tops. You need spools and the V tops.
Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize that "non-spooled" meant only for non spool capable swingarms, I thought it meant you just don't have them. That subtlety didn't jump out at you on their website.

ETA: The support team at Pit Bull said they'd exchange them for me, so I was pleased about that! Also looks like they recently added a note on the product page.

"These stands are not ideal for 2005 and later models that had the threaded holes to accept spools. If your swingarm is spooled, use either F0003-000, F0043-000, or F0028-000. Please call with any questions you may have."

·
27,525 Posts
Spools are always preferable over non-spooled designs. Consider yourself lucky you can run spools!

One year at Daytona for the CCS races in the fall, there was folks from Pitbull walking around the pits and replacing handles and rubber pads on Pitbull stands around the pits, no charge. It's a good company...good folks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in southern NH and have the Pitbull cradles you need (sold my 749 a while back, no need for the stand). They are yours for free if you want to drive up and get them. You will still need spools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts