Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 750 supersport and the oil piston ring has broken trying to put the piston back into the cylinder. My friend has got the same year 750 monster and he has a spare piston ring set that he said that it would fit as there the same engines and that I could have the oil ring from him. Can I put this straight in or do I have to get one from a supersport? Many thanks in advance..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi Max!

Same engine! I would advise buying/using a piston ring compressor to fit the pistons into the bores (yes - they are not cheap. Piston rings are VERY not cheap! ;))

Fitted mine into the barrels first - then slid the gudgeon pin through after fitting the barrels onto the studs? Eliminates any faff trying to feed rings into the barrels & dropping bits into the cases...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice 470four, I have learned my lesson now and went and purchased one and will now do things right, not just say "let's see if I can manage without one of them". I shall use it when I find a new ring. Can I use the ring from a monster do you know? Thanks for the pics, have you had a respray?

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
+ 1 on the engine,
What did you use to clean it and what kind of paint did you use?

Cases were sprayed separate (a simple hi-comps & studs mission turned into an engine split thanks to the legendary crank plug problem...)

Engine was degreased, prepped with wet&dry paper & brass wire brushes (hand & dremel), brake cleaner for all the tricky awkward bits - a LOT of prep...

An acid etch primer on the cases, then a top coat of VHT paint - UK Halfords silver & black satin?

Well tidy! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts