Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the "Installing barrel and piston as an assembly" procedure from the Haynes manual on my stock 2001 996, installing 1st circlip with piston on benchtop was easy, but putting 2nd circlip in place (at the bike, with engine still in frame) after pushing piston pin through connecting rod small end is much more difficult. Anyone that's done this before have any tips? Using needlenose pliers & flat blade screwdriver, also trying forceps, but not too successful thus far.

A little internet searching revealed a tool -- AccuProducts C-Clipper Circlip Installation Tool -- that looks promising; anyone use this, or any other helpful tools?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I recently had to install a piston circlip too. Same style circlip. I ended up loosing the cir clip. Is there a better way to do this than using needle nose pliers and praying?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Put a clean white rag in the barrel surrounding the con-rod so it won't drop into the motor. Forceps attached near the open end of the circlip and a small flat-blade screwdriver has always worked for me. Can often be a PITA to get it done.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
What also may help is to make a tool like I did.

You take a long, thin screwdriver (like a P1, or thin flat-blade). Cut the end off, and drill a hole in the end.

This tool then won't lose grip of the circlip.

See this youtube video for a better idea:

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
My advice is to go pull the piston out of your lawn mower. If runs when you are done tackle the ducati. If not take it to a mechanic. Sounds harsh I know... It will save you money in the long run. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
It's easy once you've done it a few times. Unfortunately the description of how I do it wouldn't be perfectly clear.

I use need-nose plier to feed the clip in as much as possible. Once that point is reached, and maintaining a hold on the c-clip with the pliers, I used a flathead to to force a bit more of the clip in. I do this beginning where the ring is already seated and work toward the plier. It only takes a very little but before you KNOW you the clip is in the piston, not seated, but that is will not pop out. Now you can now removed the pliers.

Pliers out, force the ring in, it should slide into the seat now, in whatever fashion you like with a non lethal object/tool.

This is a 30 second process once you are use to it.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I do it pretty much like the video except with a small flat blade screwdriver.

I have had 2 different types of circlip though from Ducati:- 1 with a long tang like the video and a few with much shorter tangs that don't bend out at 90 degrees to the circlip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As enzochi said, practice. With a pair of bent tip needle nose and a flathead you get it right in there. I just feed one end of the circlip in the ridge, make sure it's seated and apply pressure with the pliers while following around the circlip with the flatblade screwdriver. As mentioned above, the ones with the tang make it much easier than the flat circlips.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
It's easy once you've done it a few times. Unfortunately the description of how I do it wouldn't be perfectly clear.

I use need-nose plier to feed the clip in as much as possible. Once that point is reached, and maintaining a hold on the c-clip with the pliers, I used a flathead to to force a bit more of the clip in. I do this beginning where the ring is already seated and work toward the plier. It only takes a very little but before you KNOW you the clip is in the piston, not seated, but that is will not pop out. Now you can now removed the pliers.

Pliers out, force the ring in, it should slide into the seat now, in whatever fashion you like with a non lethal object/tool.

This is a 30 second process once you are use to it.
Plus 1... exactly the same process as Namor describes. And as someone else pointed out, rags IN the cylinder openings in the case or else you risk finding out the hard way why this is a smart idea.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Thanks Babyman for the awesome video and advice. I've installed pistons for the last 30 years and haven't had the 90 degree extension on a cir clip until now.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I am getting ready to put my piston back on the rod and have some new circlips to install. They don't have the 90 degree bend at the end like the OEM ones. They got superseded.

Was: 12110061A (0.0585" Dia.) with little return tip that holds in the recess in the piston
Is: 88440111A (0.0595" Dia. ) now just a simple circlip with no helper tip for install/removal

I don't like the new ones. I can see why they come in a pack of 10 because I just deformed one trying to get it in the hole on the bench. Not easy to work with.

Is there any problem with re-using the old ones? They only have 5K miles on them and look very good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts