Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Okay I'm sure this is a topic that's been exhausted but I'd still like to start a discussion.

I have a hypermotard 821 I bought second hand with a termignoni full system and I beleive its tuned.

So, I have burned through the Mitas brand rear tire the bike came with so it's time to buy a new set.

I live in a tropical climate with less than perfect roads. Concrete, black-top, lots of potholes, patches, etc.

My riding style is spirited, riding hard between zero and 120kms/hr on straight and curvy roads.

I avoid riding in the rain if I can. The roads are hot and sometimes have some sand left over in the curves I slip on occasionally.

I think I'm a moto gp rider but the fact is my chicken strips are at least 2cm 馃槅 I'll attach a photo.

Anyway, which Pirelli tires would you all recommend for my riding style AND for longevity?

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks 馃憤

Attachments

Registered
I reckon MT60's are pretty good. Ive got Rosso Corsa 2 on my HM1100S and theyre awesome BUT our roads sound a 'little' better. I had MT60's on a Svartpilen 701 , and I was surprised how good they were.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I reckon MT60's are pretty good. Ive got Rosso Corsa 2 on my HM1100S and theyre awesome BUT our roads sound a 'little' better. I had MT60's on a Svartpilen 701 , and I was surprised how good they were.
The mt60's do not appear to be available in 120/70 17 from and 180/55 17 rear, my stock tire size.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see the mt60 available in 120/180 but thanks. The corsa II's are more of a track tire?

Premium Member
I bought my bike with 17.3K miles and worn tires. I consulted with a local tire shop and settled on Pirelli Angel GT 2 shoes front and rear. I am now at 23.9K miles and very happy with them. A dual compound tire for longevity and sporting grip on the sides. The only time I experienced some slip was over some road paint that was moist.

Registered
I'm going to mention this again. Metzler M9rr. They are made by Perelli and the Metzler tire has won tops spots in many of Isle of Man races. I'm seeing a lot of other mentions of specific tires with very little lean angle wear on the tire. How can you say it's a good tire if you aren't pushing the corners. Over the years I became a fan of the M7RR, Road5 and M9rr . The Road5 are great but the profile is 'ball like' making turn in slow. The M9rr has a higher peak which makes turn in quicker and flatten out on the sides which equates to grip. All 3 tires are dual compound meaning that there is a hard center section with soft sides giving long life yet sticky in turns. My newest favorite by far are the M9RR and I get to the edge(near edge) regularly. All 3 tires are fantastic for all weather including rain. All 3 tires will last you a decent amount of time. Also, mind your tire reading. The feathering into and out of the siping tell a story of compression and rebound as well as used tire surface and color. The right tire with dialed suspension will make you faster, safer, build confidence and more consistent.

Premium Member
Since I don't ride the track these days I call them "wisdom strips". As I said 8/10 is as far as I go on public roads. I practice the 2/3 apex rule, maximize the road rather than equipment, and hold reserve for the unknown around every blind turn. Call me a chicken, but I plan to ride into my 70's God willing :)

Registered
Since I don't ride the track these days I call them "wisdom strips". As I said 8/10 is as far as I go on public roads. I practice the 2/3 apex rule, maximize the road rather than equipment, and hold reserve for the unknown around every blind turn. Call me a chicken, but I plan to ride into my 70's God willing :)
I completely understand but if people aren't getting to the edge then how can they say they are a great tire. A big part of being a great tire is how well it holds the road in the shoulder of the tire. I'm not calling anyone a chicken at all and I almost never point out Chicken strips. Who am I to say how to you should ride. I'm just purely talkind about promoting tires that have very little of the carcass being used. It is not my intention to attack anyone.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I thought I was going to buy Rosso III's but they sold the 180 rear yesterday (darnet) and only have a 190 rear left and I've learned from previous experience up-sizing is NOT good.

The only tires my size, in-stock, is a set of Mitas Sport Force+, Pirelli Angel GT2's and a set of Rosso II's. I'm inclined to get the Rosso II's because Rosso II's are oem for the 2014 Hypermotard.

But I really wanted Rosso III's!! So maybe I'll order.

Someone locally suggested the Scorpion Trail II. Has anyone used the Scorpions on their Hypermotard for strictly street use?

Sophomore Member
Don鈥檛 waste your money on the Scorpion Trails. Those tires are put on ADV bikes like the Multi. They are much better than the used to be, but still not great for pure street. The Angel GT or Rosso II will suit you well.

Reactions: Davidlnrd

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Don鈥檛 waste your money on the Scorpion Trails. Those tires are put on ADV bikes like the Multi. They are much better than the used to be, but still not great for pure street. The Angel GT or Rosso II will suit you well.
Thanks for the input t-bills. That's what I was kind of wondering about the Scorpions, the hypermotard is not an adv bike haha.

Registered
Metzler M7s on my hyper now, do-it-all city bike, with a few kart track days, some touring and a few days in the twisties. I was worried about wearing down the center like you have, but so far so good, holding up better than expected. Nice soft rubber on the shoulders, I'm not a pro but they did fine at the kart track, 1/8" of chicken strip left on the rears. I wanted softer/faster rubber but the tire guy talked me out of it, good decision. I'm in Thailand so I get plenty of crap roads to ride on and they do ok

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I am very happy to report that these Rosso II's are AWESOME!! I've broken them in, I'm at 34psi front and 38 rear and they are sweet.

Lean fast, firm but not too firm, promotes confidence. I'm really happy with them so far. I haven't had a chance to go super fast on turns yet though.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts