Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the Multistrada family as I purchased a 1260 Pikes Peak this week.
Would you suggest replacing the OEM Scorpion Trail II on the Multistrada with Rosso III or Angel GT's?
I don't do dirt roads and if I did, it would only be because I'm forced to by road construction or a detour of some sort.
I have experience with Rosso III's, Rosso Corsa's and Supercorsa's but none with Scorpion Trail II or Angel GT's.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,859 Posts
It seems to me you now have experience with all the tires you mentioned except the Angles. Are you wondering where they fall in that good chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to me you now have experience with all the tires you mentioned except the Angles. Are you wondering where they fall in that good chain?
Somewhat I suppose. I don't have experience with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II either. For a pure sportbike like the Panigale, I would never go back to Rosso Corsa's after having mounted Supercorsa's as the later provides more grip and confidence while lasting just as long. They just don't warm up as fast and must be kept at operation temperature to work right. However, the Monster 1200R came mounted with OEM Supercorsa's and I chewed right through the rear center in no time. Thus, those were replaced with Rosso III's with good results although I felt a few mild wobbles when pushed which never happened with the SC's. Now, I'm trading the Pani where the Multi will be taking over the Monster's previous role. I don't intend touring very far thus wet weather traction is not a concern but cold weather grip is.

·
18,859 Posts
Is there something about the Scorpions, that you are riding now, that you don’t like? If you haven’t ridden them enough to have an opinion I would suggest riding them until you do and base your choice for a next tire on what you learn from that.

I will say the Rosso III is my current favorite tire for all around sport touring and I would choose it over the Angle for my needs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there something about the Scorpions, that you are riding now, that you don’t like? If you haven’t ridden them enough to have an opinion I would suggest riding them until you do and base your choice for a next tire on what you learn from that.

I will say the Rosso III is my current favorite tire for all around sport touring and I would choose it over the Angle for my needs.
I have not taken delivery of the Multistrada yet therefore I have no experience on those dual purpose tires. Since the bike is still at the dealer, I have the option to either 1) keep the OEM's or 2) swap them now at a reasonable cost. I really like the Rosso III's as well. What I don't get is why Ducati chose the Scorpion Trail II's as OEM's on the MultiStrada Pikes Peak, when they chose the Rosso III's as OEM for the Hypermotard?

·
18,859 Posts
We have a friend here that might chime in. T-bills.

He just got a new PP with the Scorpions and I rode with him some back in September. On the Cherohala Skyway the Scorpions were not holding him back much. He did mention they got a little slippy at the limit. But honestly he was holding his knees up so they wouldn’t scrape (no sliders) and the tires were new. :)

And you’re right why they put those tires on that bike Is a little strange.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I run the Rosso III on my light weight MV (170kgs) but on the Multi and 1290 i run the PR5s, the Rosso's wouldn't last any touring rides i do, even my 800MV eats them.

Attachments

·
Sophomore Member
2,698 Posts
First, let me say you have incredible taste in motorcycles.

If you can get the dealership to swap out the tires and not just lose the expense of a set of tires, go for it. I really don't understand why Ducati put these tires on the PP. If swapping tires is you just tossing the stock tires and the cost of a new set of tires, give them a chance first. I've hustled them pretty well and not run into any real problems. My complaints are that they don't handle rain as well as the Michelin Pilot Road series and that they don't warm up quickly in the cold. Their grip is appropriate for riding a brisk, but reasonable pace on the street. They feel pretty well planted at heavy lean.

As for a replacement, I'd recommend the Pirelli Angel GT or the Michelin Road 5. I've been a big Michelin fan for years and never been overly fond of Pirellis. The new Angel GTs have my blessing. The Road 5 is also a wonderful tire. It handles wet weather unbelievably well. I'm recommending these tires assuming you are going to be doing similar riding as me which is touring and playing in the mountains. Needing some miles out of a tire and capable of handling some wet weather while also being great in the mountains. If you aren't putting many miles on the bike, hell, get something sportier like the Pilot Power 3 or or Rosso III.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Just joined the Multistrada family as I purchased a 1260 Pikes Peak this week.
Would you suggest replacing the OEM Scorpion Trail II on the Multistrada with Rosso III or Angel GT's?
I don't do dirt roads and if I did, it would only be because I'm forced to by road construction or a detour of some sort.
I have experience with Rosso III's, Rosso Corsa's and Supercorsa's but none with Scorpion Trail II or Angel GT's.
Angel GTs are ok, I've been through 4 sets on veering bikes, but i find the PR5s a step up, far better in the wet, and i find the very edge grip and feel on the PR5 better, i wouldn't have recommended the PR4, as they were vague near the edge and limit. Rosso III are great, great grip once warmed up, but id struggle to get 3000km out of them, but will get at least 6000kms out of the PR5s with the same effort in riding.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys for your input.
Parts manager at the Dealer is looking into a swap pricing.
I'll see what my dealer can do and take it from there. If not, I'll wear-out the scorpions and replace them accordingly.

PS. @t-bills
Any regrets sacrificing the Skyhook?

·
Sophomore Member
2,698 Posts
Sacrificing? I didn't make any sacrifices in suspension. That is the reason I bought the PP.

I had a 2011 MTS with the Ohlins mechatronic suspension. It was great suspension. That bike was replaced with a KTM Superduke GT which had electronically adjustable WP suspension. I had numerous complaints with that suspension. I couldn't fine tune it (only select between comfort, street, and sport). It was seriously lacking in the valving of the shock. Suspension was a top concern of mine when getting the new Multi. The general consensus is the Skyhook is good, but not as good as the older Ohlins mechatronic. I wasn't willing to compromise with the Skyhook, so I went for the PP to get the top shelf Ohlins.

I've had the bike for 3 months. I've done some touring on it loaded down with all my camping gear. I commute on it daily. I have only had a couple chances to go play in the mountains on it, but it handles itself well. Duckman and I went over Cherohala the second day I had it so it was still in the break-in and clearly not familiar with the bike yet. I took a much more spirited ride over Cherohala a month ago. No real complaints. I'm still playing with the suspension a little bit, but pretty close to having it nailed down. Ground clearance was my only issue, but I'm ok with that given this is my touring rig and comfort is a priority. If I'm going to go push that hard, I should be on one of my other bikes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sacrificing was a poor choice of word. My bad. I was referring to the flexibility not the quality.
The demo I was lent for a couple of weeks had the syhook which I thought was fantastic in terms of adjustability on the fly.
Long term reliability was a concern for me however. That, lighter forged wheels, the termi and yes the blling sealed it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I luv my Angel Gt's.

I ride very spirited and leaned over in canyons. Never had a grip issue.

They seem to be holding up just fine so far. Although MTS's generally do chew through tires.

FYI, i have the standard Non electronic suspension on mine. Once dialed, i luv it.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I am leaning toward the Road 5's, pun intended, as the Pirelli are done after 14 kms and I don't get a tire that is road biased and wouldn't do much good anywhere else. Having said that I was warned not to monkey with size or aspect ratio as the TC will become problematic due to a change in wheel speed......

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@t-bills
Following-up. I'm just under 4000 kms on the 1260 Pikes Peak. Only real observation noted about the Scorpions is that the edge come fast relative to the Rosso III on my Monster. Not that I care about chicken strips (I don't). However, I'm using the whole tire whereas the Rosso's which I haven't pushed that hard still have just about a cm left and I ride them both the same way.
That's my only concern for now as I really can't comment on grip which so far has not been an issue. As for the Skyhook, I don't miss it at all. In fact, for the few times Mrs. D was a passenger, all I did was crank-up the preload and the ride was sublime. Only negative about the bike was the typical Italian long gearing which I dealt with at the 600 miles service. The new 15/42 gearing made a world of difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,760 Posts
Sacrificing? I didn't make any sacrifices in suspension. That is the reason I bought the PP.

I had a 2011 MTS with the Ohlins mechatronic suspension. It was great suspension. That bike was replaced with a KTM Superduke GT which had electronically adjustable WP suspension. I had numerous complaints with that suspension. I couldn't fine tune it (only select between comfort, street, and sport). It was seriously lacking in the valving of the shock. Suspension was a top concern of mine when getting the new Multi. The general consensus is the Skyhook is good, but not as good as the older Ohlins mechatronic. I wasn't willing to compromise with the Skyhook, so I went for the PP to get the top shelf Ohlins.

I've had the bike for 3 months. I've done some touring on it loaded down with all my camping gear. I commute on it daily. I have only had a couple chances to go play in the mountains on it, but it handles itself well. Duckman and I went over Cherohala the second day I had it so it was still in the break-in and clearly not familiar with the bike yet. I took a much more spirited ride over Cherohala a month ago. No real complaints. I'm still playing with the suspension a little bit, but pretty close to having it nailed down. Ground clearance was my only issue, but I'm ok with that given this is my touring rig and comfort is a priority. If I'm going to go push that hard, I should be on one of my other bikes.
Pretty spot on... I've got skyhook and like it... but it's not as good as the Ohlins. If they had a PP that was semi-active Ohlins in '15 when I bought my bike I'd have definitely gotten it. I've been waiting for the Streetfighter to drop as my next buy but if not for that I'd likely be getting a '20 PP (my 15 is at 50,000 miles now so either I need to replace it or I need a bike to take some of the shenanigan mileage so it can focus on touring).

As for clearance... has someone convinced Rizoma to sell that rearset they put on the PP Multi yet?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pretty spot on... I've got skyhook and like it... but it's not as good as the Ohlins.

Indeed, I looked for a used Ohlins model when I bought mine but I don’t think I’d survive on my tall 2014 without the ability to quickly get into Urban mode with minimum preload when I’m stuck in traffic and especially when I’m loaded with gear. See the “Dropped it again” thread; for those of us that are on the shorter/lighter side, it can be a challenge at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

I will say the Rosso III is my current favorite tire for all around sport touring and I would choose it over the Angels for my needs.
Hi Mike, I followed your advise and kept the Scorpions to give them a chance.
I'm just under 4000 kms on them now. Only real observation noted about the Scorpions is that the edge come fast relative to the Rosso III on my Monster. Grip has not been an issue. While I have them, I'm taking the opportunity to travel on some unpaved roads and lighting-up the TC just for fun. Since I have the Rosso III on the Monster, I'll probably replace the Scorpions when the time comes with Angel GT's which riders here seem to like. May even try the new Rosso Corsa II's on the Monster next.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have no problems with the scorpions and they have handled anything I have thrown at them. They feel good leaned over too....grip is more than adequate and they do outstanding in the rain. No need to change them IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts