Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently solved my many issues with my 999R, I am going to take it to the track on Friday. I usually run Dunlop slicks, but this time will try some Pirelli SC1 slicks I have never used before (free is good). Usual cold pressures are about 30 front 28 rear on DOT tires, but I was shocked to see as low as 22-25 pounds rear on some DOT rears I was using on a GSXR 1000 last week. They worked well, so I learned something new.

Does anyone here race on Pirelli SC1 slicks on a heavy fast twin? What hot pressures do you look for?

Regards to all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's really best to ask your vendor. It also depends on the compound(s) you are using and how you ride. I've got a 999 and my guy told me to start with 27 rear and 31 front (tire warmers on - do 3psi less when cold). I've had problems tearing fronts at some tracks, so will search between 28-30 until the front cleans up. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm running sc2 front/rear Pirelli superbike slicks at the moment on the 998.

I try to go around 28-31psi off the warmers and they wear very well.

Me too had front shearing problems that went away by lowering pressure.

Mind you, ambient temp here is around 12 degrees celcius and track temp around 20 degrees C.

That's why they call it the Winter series I guess :)

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Pirelli Slicks temps and pressures

+2
Hot = Pirelli slicks = 168 degrees F = 28 rear 31 front is what I run.
I have checked them after pulling into the pits with a
laser thermometer and they were running 132 degrees F.
A little time to cool off going through the hot pits to get back to my
spot. I figure the time I get from my spot and onto the track they will loose
some heat too after coming off the tire warmers.
Tire pressure is still at 28 and 31 after I come in so it is just the tire surface
that has cooled off I am thinking.
I run the same temperature on both the 1098 and the GSX-R600, the 1098 has the 190-55, the Suzuki has the 180-55 rear.
Both bikes stick like glue and both front and rears look great, no tearing either. I am running the SC-2 both front and rear on the Suzuki and an SC-1 front with an SC-2 rear on the 1098.
Keep in mind suspension plays a big part in tire wear.
I got my information from Chris Maguire the Pirelli Rep. from the Thunder Hill Raceway area in California. 831-419-9680, www.ctracetires.com.
Chris says "cold front=29psi, hot front=32 psi and cold rear=25psi, hot rear=29psi." HOT =
168 F/76C setting on my tire warmers, Power Stands.
I ran an SC-1 rear this last summer on the 1098 and it lasted all day!! I got it for $150.00 US and knew it was not going to last long on a fast left bias track but it was fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts