Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hardly a rarity that I post whiny msgs. about the performance of our SC lineage, and really, this is hardly one. But damnit, over the weekend I was attempting to finesse my riding ability in the chilly mtns. of HWY 9 / Boulder Creek / 84 and the Phantoms were skidding all over the place, causing me to feel like a wishy-washer rider in a Night Rider scene.

I've always been a personal advocate of this tire set, and they're truly a decent tire to tread somewhat hard on (in my opinion). But damn, I was def. a little concerned about their performance under these chilly weather conditions. Nothing in the hills, other than slightly colder weather than usual as Autumn kicks in here in the Bay Area.

Am I going to go out and buy fresh sets cus I have money coming from the chimney of my home? NO. I'll tolerate them until they're ready to retire. But until then, I'll def. lighten up this coming fall and winter.

They're were a little sketchy...like a new date whos gone off to drink with another guy, but goes home with you...

The One, The Only: LIVEDD0

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
mine work absolutely great when dry, even on track, but they suck monkeyballs when it's wet. Especially when it's damp.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get rid of the phantoms - ask any tyre shop what they think of them. I had mine changed to Michelins.

The guy who owns the tyre shop used to work for Pirelli and told me how they cheaped out making these tyres.

The pilot powers are a revelation - no more tramlining and they stick to the road like glue. Wet performance is excellent giving a lot more confidence.

Regards Nick

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
probably only like my Phantoms Cuz I'm in Hawaii and its hot... the Michelin pilots are awesome on my super sport though

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/41 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Get rid of the phantoms - ask any tyre shop what they think of them. I had mine changed to Michelins.

The guy who owns the tyre shop used to work for Pirelli and told me how they cheaped out making these tyres.

The pilot powers are a revelation - no more tramlining and they stick to the road like glue. Wet performance is excellent giving a lot more confidence.

Regards Nick
Yes I agree. I put about 600 miles on the Phantoms and switched to the Michelin road 2ct's

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

Regards Nick
Since you live in England, I'll follow your advice :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the front fold on me twice under heavy braking on the phantoms within a 3 month period. Corsa III's now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wet performance is necessary here - 3 days and no let up yet. An inch of the wet stuff today (25.4mm for the Belgians!:D)

Regards Nick

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've recently changed the OEM Michelin Pilot Classics on my bike only to find that the Pilot Classics are now obsolete. I've had good results from Michelins in the past but I got a good deal on some Dunlop Road Smarts so I decided to spring for a pair - very pleased with them so far.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my sec. set of Phantoms, and alot of you know, I personally feel these tires are great. Not extraordinary, nor fabulous, but they're not weak.

But yes, I will def. be upgrading sometime soon. Softer ride for me by lowering the pressure would make me even more nervous . . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dagnabbit!

Well......guess I need to get to this forum a bit more often. I've got a set of Phantoms on the way for my GT-1000. The rims are being sealed by Woody's Wheel Works, so 'Lil Miss Duckie can go tubeless. I'm riding as much year- 'round as possible here in Colorado, so going into winter, I'll see if this was a wise move or not.

Many years ago, I roadraced on Phantoms, mounted on Woody's Wheels. Supreme confidence was the result, but then again, that was at half my current age! I'll freely admit to nostalgia getting the better of me this time. I'll report back, if anybody's interested.

*QUACK*

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Wet performance is necessary here - 3 days and no let up yet. An inch of the wet stuff today (25.4mm for the Belgians!:D)

Regards Nick
damn ! that's a lot to say the least. :D

So for performance all round, wet, dry, track, you would defenitely recommend me those Michelins ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well......guess I need to get to this forum a bit more often. I've got a set of Phantoms on the way for my GT-1000. The rims are being sealed by Woody's Wheel Works, so 'Lil Miss Duckie can go tubeless. I'm riding as much year- 'round as possible here in Colorado, so going into winter, I'll see if this was a wise move or not.

Many years ago, I roadraced on Phantoms, mounted on Woody's Wheels. Supreme confidence was the result, but then again, that was at half my current age! I'll freely admit to nostalgia getting the better of me this time. I'll report back, if anybody's interested.

*QUACK*
I have never heard of having rims sealed to use tubeless. I like the stock wheels, but would like to go tubeless. I have had my share of rear flats with tubes. How are the rims sealed?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
They're were a little sketchy...like a new date who's gone off to drink with another guy, but goes home with you...
LIVEDD0
Try lowering your PSI to 30 front and 32 rear.
Will that really make the date seem less sketchy?
Lower tire pressure causes the tire to heat up more. This is a well accepted phenomenon.
You, sir, do not seem quite as perceptive as Will when it comes to humor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never heard of having rims sealed to use tubeless. I like the stock wheels, but would like to go tubeless. I have had my share of rear flats with tubes. How are the rims sealed?
I first heard of that being done here, on this forum. As for HOW it is done, best to either find that thread (I'm too lazy to help ya!), or get in touch with Woody's Wheel Works, in Englewood (Denver metro), Colorado. I'm certain that they can explain it to ya. I wouldn't want to mislead anybody here, and cause disaster on a do-it-yerselfer's ride.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
sealing OEM wheels to go tubeless

Dietrich will know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts