Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) :confused:
Hi Guys, I have recently picked up a 2004 999s and it has Pirelli Dragon MTR21 Evo Corsa front and a MTR22 Evo rear. I know little about these tyres and I was wondering if they would be ok for a track day. The bike has only done 1000mils on these tyres, and not sure if I need to change or more importantly I should? I have run Pilot Powers in the past and found them to be great. Any help advice appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So MTR21 and MTR22 should be ok

Hi, thanks for that so you feel the MTR21 and MTR22 should be ok for some track use? I understand thy have been superseeded now by the Diablo? The front is a corsa (yellow) but not the rear?
Cheers

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
kiwi2003 said:
Hi, thanks for that so you feel the MTR21 and MTR22 should be ok for some track use? I understand thy have been superseeded now by the Diablo? The front is a corsa (yellow) but not the rear?
Cheers
They have been superceded by the Diablo and I have used both, I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference - if there is any it is minor.

Many people use the Corsa on the front only, for the extra grip but on the rear they don't last very long so use the standard version, (which also doesn't last very long), I don't know how hard you ride but I don't think that many of us would have any problems with these tyres - but tyres are very much a personal thing.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Those are some old tires. My 2002 748 came with the Dragons, and the 2002 998 came with the Dragon Evos. I believe the Diablo replaced these tires in 2003, so......Looks like those tires are at least three years old, regardless of the mileage. I've run the Dragons, Dragon Evo, and Diablo on the street and didn't notice much of a difference between them for my riding style. All the "Corsa" tires are noted to be the more performance minded tires, so the Dragon Evo Corsa should be better for the track than a Dragon Evo, but......the tires are 3+ years old. Being 3+ year old tires, I'd probably get newer ones if you plan on hitting the track. On the track, I've run the Diablo Corsa on the rear and a Supercorsa on the front, and on a 90+ degree day, after about 10-15 minutes into a trackday session, the Diablo Corsa was getting greasey, but the Supercorsa held well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.