Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am about to purchase a new set of tires of my 848 Evo and I can't decide between the Rosso II's or III's. I get that the III's are an overall improvement on the II's but I couple of things have me a little confuses.

1. They say that the redesigned profile aids turn in which sounds good since my bike is not quite as flickable as other bikes, but I've also read that the III's fronts lack a bit of feel. I was wondering if the II's have more. Also, Ducati's are known for being stable bikes and I was wondering if the increased turn in comes at the cost of less stability.

2. They also say that the III's are designed with high horsepower and electronics like traction control in mind. My 848 has neither of these things so I was wondering if the II's are better suited for my type of bike.

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got 2k miles out of Rosso 3s on my m821...was not a fan...try the power RS...got 4500 miles on those...includes a 1k mile road trip and a track day

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,073 Posts
I would say your experience with comparing the Rosso III to the Power RS is unique. Generally speaking the Rosso III should last much longer than the Power RS. Are you sure you're not confusing the Rosso III with the Rosso Corsa II?

In my experience the Rosso III is better than the Rosso II in every way. I consider it a great sport touring tire and I get about 6k miles from the rear on my KTM990SMT. I've never worn out a front but I still replace them every 2 or three rear tires. I would say their only negative compared with more track oriented tires is a slight vague feel in feedback when turning in. This isn't bad and is easily ignored once you learn to trust them, but it's there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say your experience with comparing the Rosso III to the Power RS is unique. Generally speaking the Rosso III should last much longer than the Power RS. Are you sure you're not confusing the Rosso III with the Rosso Corsa II?

In my experience the Rosso III is better than the Rosso II in every way. I consider it a great sport touring tire and I get about 6k miles from the rear on my KTM990SMT. I've never worn out a front but I still replace them every 2 or three rear tires. I would say their only negative compared with more track oriented tires is a slight vague feel in feedback when turning in. This isn't bad and is easily ignored once you learn to trust them, but it's there.
I'm sure everyone's experience is going to be different and I'm sure I'm on the low end of longevity for any tire given my surroundings...I'm on a set of rosso2 right now (came new with the rims)...I'm nearly to the wear bar with only 1k miles in... rosso2 have a far smaller 2nd compound than the 3...the 3 center compound is great and very long wearing...but the side compound just disappeared on me ...i would surmise that I was running the wrong pressure on the 3s but I have been diligently adjusting the rosso2s and I'm near done with them...the wear has been so bad it would be hard to get me back on them...that said the rosso3 is very flickable and far better in the rain when it gets aggressive...the second compound on the RS has zero silica and didnt like anything north of 28psi...

I'm frugal... I try and get my money's worth...when one area wears before another I feel I've wasted my money...with the rosso2 I would roll off the throttle to preserve the center...had no issue with that on the 3....I still had plenty left on top in the end but no performance left at lean...

Here's how I like to roll...

That's some even wear...vroom vroom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. That vagueness on the III's do you think it would be better, worse, or about the same on the II's?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. That vagueness on the III's do you think it would be better, worse, or about the same on the II's?
That was a major complaint initially on the rosso2...it always felt invisible...but the truth is you have to be flying into a corner to get near the limit and that's where it starts talking back to you...the performance on any Pirelli is impressive...if you can... dial in more compression on the fork...it degrades your cornerspeed a lil, but will start a dialogue with the tire....when you begin to push the front and get this shiny bit around the tire start dialing it out

If your looking for front tire feedback I could also recommend the s21...it's ultimately a slower tire but it will talk to you wet or dry...I loved that front tire...I would have deep meaningful conversations on many mountain roads ...lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys thanks. I read review after review and I couldn't get the answers I was looking for. Honestly I do not have the skill to push any Pirelli Diablo tire to its absolute limit, so I'm obsessing over this more for fun, but its great to learn about them.

I have to admit I made a stupid mistake. The tires I'm replacing are the ones that were on the bike when I got it. I actually assumed I had a set of II's on from the tread pattern on the rear but it turns out they're the normal Diablo's, so I'm sure either the II's or the III's will feel great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had both the RII and RIIIs both were confidence inspiring however the thing I noted about the RIIIs was turn in - it felt like more feedback and discussion was happening vs. the others.

Both were great on the street - but on track or when "spirited" riding took over - the RIIIs were my winner.

Bike was a Ducati 998.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also on the ANTI R3 bandwagon. Switched from a set of SuperCorsas to the R3s because I wanted more tire life and better wet traction but also to keep the "Pirelli" profile since they claimed to mimic the SCs. With the SCs I got ~2900 miles and a track day out of them. I got 2800mi out of my R3 rear and it's a slick now. Garbage. I'll never waste money/time on that tire again. At this point I'm between Power RS, Rosso Corsa 2s or a set of Q3+ (I've had GREAT experiences with those tires on multiple bikes, and they're cheaper than everything else out there).

The R3s are pretty damn stiff as well. Especially coming from something soft like the SCs. So depending on what you're coming from this could be a massive difference in feel for you. I never was able to find a feeling with the rear after trying to dial things in, when looking for that "load" feeling on the rear. Only when the rear would lose traction is when I had feedback. The front took some suspension adjustments and personal adjustments to get used to and I feel ok with it now.

Wouldn't put another set on though.

This is on a 1098 btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts