Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was of the impression that the Ducati SF 848 (2014) had to use the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tire due to the traction control sensitivity to that spec tire?

The reason I ask, is I'm taking my bike in for the 7500 mile service and I once again need a new set of tires and the only thing I have been running on it are the Pirelli DRC, but the service tech was trying to talk me into going with the Super Corsa. I have read reviews and I know it's a great tire and sticks like glue provided it's not raining out, but will this Super Corsa impact traction control and do you feel the life span will be dramatically shortened?

As a point of reference on life span, I got 3200 miles out of my first set of PDRC, and then nearly 4000 miles out of my second PDRC. So I am more than pleased with how well they hold up, especially considering 70% of my riding is in the canyons riding at a pretty good clip.

Thoughts on if the Super Corsa will work on this bike, and would you pick it over the PDRC. The price difference is not a huge factor, I just want the best grip for the canyons (I never ride in the rain) and something I can get 3k miles out of without effecting my traction control.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had similar experience with DRC. A bit shorter on tire life, I went through two sets at 13700kms. I never considered supercorsas though as I believe life span should be a bit better on DRCs. So I considered the q3s for better wet grip and same dry grip, with shorter warm up times and cheaper price at the end.

But a I decided to take the plunge into pilot power 3s for the tire life. May try q3s next season and finally decide on a tire and stay with it :)

Lets see what others experience with super corsas...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The DTC concern is a more an issue with 180/60 vs.180/55 (SF848) as opposed to Pirelli vs. Pirelli. I went with Supercorsa SP V2 and love the grip, but suspect I will sacrifice mileage for this.

I'd try Q3s but they don't have the 180/60 size and I'm staying with this factory size, so it's Pirelli for me. Maybe the Rosso III next...

DIABLO ROSSO III , Motorcycle Tyres | Pirelli

·
Registered
798 Posts
Has anyone actually reported a real DTC problem with the 180/60 vs 180/55 situation? I know theoretically it could be a problem, but... does theory reflect real life experience?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Has anyone actually reported a real DTC problem with the 180/60 vs 180/55 situation? I know theoretically it could be a problem, but... does theory reflect real life experience?
I hadn't read anything anecdotal. But my OCD would kill me in excruciating fashion (or at least make me break out in hives) if I go with anything but the 180/60 recommended size. LOL

I'm sure the 180/55 is fine. Just trying to avoid the medication.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have run both the Pirelli Diablo Rosso corsa and the super corsa on my streetfighter 848. I like the super Corsa better because I can get about 7000 km on the back and about 12,000 on the front and I find they just help the bike perform a little better on both road and track. Super corsa for this guy. Hope it helps
Both tires were the 180/60R17.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are willing to switch brands continental has a very good tire called the race attack. They do come in the correct sizing 180/60 for the 848. So no worries about the DTC they also come in various compounds depending on your needs. The endurance compound seems to be the one for street use as you gain a little more longevity versus the softer compounds. I have not tried them personally but they have received many good reviews. Will probably give them a try when the Pirelli's need replacing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with the Pirelli Angel GT in a 180/55. I wanted a little more life out of my tires even though I do use my bike for the twisties mostly. I've experienced no problems with the DTC. It is still usable if you want, your desired setting may just change one or two spots. I love the GT. It is a dual compound, so there is still tons of grip in the turns, but hopefully more life out of a set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts