Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,

Does anyone use this new tire on the Multistrada DVT? Did you used the previous generation Diablo Rosso 2? Can you give me your opinion? I need to change the rear tire and I want something more sport as I will never do off road with my MTS.

I am thinking about the following options:
- Dunlop Sportsmart2
- Pirelli Angel GT
- Diablo Rosso II
- Diablo Rosso III

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - the video start in German but it's in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7S1e5HDt0E

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm just finishing of a set of Rosso 2's on my Multistrada, got a little over 2K miles on the rear.

Can't say they performed any better that the OEM Scorpion II's. The Scorpions were just about done at 3500 miles, but I got a puncture in the rear, so that had them come off the bike probably 500-700 miles early.

The next set, sitting in my spare bedroom currently, will be Michelin PR4's. I have a couple of friends that run these and I've been impressed with how well they appear to work, plus they seem to get good mileage out of them.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,325 Posts
The next set, sitting in my spare bedroom currently, will be Michelin PR4's. I have a couple of friends that run these and I've been impressed with how well they appear to work, plus they seem to get good mileage out of them.
You wont buy another stickier long lasting touring tyre. You will LOVE THEM. And you get used to the looks (not the prettiest tyre).

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have used the Rosso 3 on my Hyper. No complaints other than the short life expectancy. Not a very good touring tire for that reason. The PR3 or PR4 is a great option.

Funny story…….when I traded my 2011 Multi in it had a set of PR3s on it that I had put about 3500 miles on. The dealer turned around and advertised my former bike as having “new tires” on it. They looked that good still.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have approx. 5k miles on a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3s and I probably have another 1k I could get out of the rear tire. Pretty happy with the performance of these tires on this bike and I think I'll spring for another set when the time comes. The front is actually wearing out about as fast as the rear so I'll probably end up doing both at the same time. You can see spots in the tread where it is flattened off a bit, moreso on the left shoulder than the right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done 7.000kms (with passenger) with pirelli scorpion trail..they have good grip but would like to have something without trail soul :)

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have used the Rosso 3 on my Hyper. No complaints other than the short life expectancy. Not a very good touring tire for that reason. The PR3 or PR4 is a great option.
Have the 3's been released yet. Could you be confusing Rosso 2's.

bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
+1 on the PR4 as a street performance tire - great grip, turn-in feel, and lasts long enough to justify their cost.

I have to say though, I ran a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3s on my Multi just once, and holy crap they are sticky, fun, and feel fantastic as a dry-weather sport performance tire. I can only imagine the Diablo Rosso Corsas are just as fantastic, Pirelli makes a great tire. I ride too often to be replacing rear tires every 2k miles, though - works out to about every 6 weeks, lol.

If you want some great performance but decent mileage wear, the Angel GT is also a fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The Rosso 2 is not a distance tire. It has harder rubber in the center, but it's more of a medium/soft tire tuned for sport street riding. I really liked the tire. It was a very consistant tire that fit my former SS very well.

The 3 is all new. It's character will show up on the forums later this year as early adopters share their experiences.

I'm currently on Pilot Road 2's on the ST. Great in dry and the looks are more traditional than 3's or 4's. I have about 4 k on them and they are at mid wear. Maybe new tires later this year.

Bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
these photos are from a track day on angel GT's. i can't say enough good things about them. if i was able to do this with them on a track, they are more than capable on the street; which is really where they are made for. i think the sportier tires on a heavy bike end up zero'ing out the grip benefits because of the bike's weight for a softer carcass tire. these bikes are made to run on sport touring tires if you ask me, plain and simple. and the GT's are the best of the bunch. i was a dunlop roadsmart 2 fan and still am but these pirellis were so grippy at the track for the multi they are my tire for life now on this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just had my bike in today for an oil change and front/rear tire replacement. Just rolled over 5k miles. My front tire actually looks worse than my rear!

Was going to go with the Angel GT's but after talking to the dealer I ordered a set of the Rosso III's. Will have them installed next week.

All the literature looks positive. Guess I'll soon find out.

I'll follow with pics once they are on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The OE Pirelli Angel GT's on my bike were caned after a 10,000km - a couple of long trips and regular blasts through the twisties. They would get hot but never really felt too sticky.

I just changed to Rosso 2's and straight away I've noticed how much more tack they have to the road. They inspire a lot more confidence through the bends... but I doubt they will offer even half the life of the Angel GT's if I do any more touring.

·
Registered
665 Posts
these photos are from a track day on angel GT's. i can't say enough good things about them. if i was able to do this with them on a track, they are more than capable on the street; which is really where they are made for. i think the sportier tires on a heavy bike end up zero'ing out the grip benefits because of the bike's weight for a softer carcass tire. these bikes are made to run on sport touring tires if you ask me, plain and simple. and the GT's are the best of the bunch. i was a dunlop roadsmart 2 fan and still am but these pirellis were so grippy at the track for the multi they are my tire for life now on this bike.

Agree. Long mileage, plenty of grip, also in the wet, and do good on a trackday too. What more can you want from a tyre. Angel GT is the for me too. Don't go for the rosso's, low mileage and worse in the rain.

·
Registered
655 Posts
With 50,000 miles on my '12 Ive run alot of different tires/tire combo's, but have yet to try the Angel's....maybe that'll be my next set. Ive run Dunlops, Michelins & a set of Bridgestone TF30R's and a mix of 'types' of tires e.g. Q3 frt/Road Smart II rear. The problem here is 'definitions' of stick/performance vs life. The problem with defining 'stick/performance' is the skill level of the rider. With that said....Ive done numerous track days at Thunder Hill running 2:05's on my Gixxer 600 track bike (if that means anything to you guys). What this track day time means is that Im dead valium induced snail slow compared to real race guys, but semi-fast for a canyon guy. The reason I mention this is to explain 'my' opinions on all the tires Ive run. First, our lovely girl has major track day issues due to ground clearance. It drags almost everything, so..... With that said, overall, the PR4's gave me the most stick/peformance + mileage. Period. I got 6400 miles out of a rear, which is about 1000 miles more then any other S/T tire. For example, Road Smart II's last about 5000 on my bike.

FWIW....

·
Registered
100 Posts
well said. that's why i was hanging off so much in hte photos i posted, ground clearance is an issue. but whether it's an angel GT or the PR4, i truly believe you get the most grip from a good sport touring tire versus a softer tire more appropriate for a lighter sport or naked bike.

With 50,000 miles on my '12 Ive run alot of different tires/tire combo's, but have yet to try the Angel's....maybe that'll be my next set. Ive run Dunlops, Michelins & a set of Bridgestone TF30R's and a mix of 'types' of tires e.g. Q3 frt/Road Smart II rear. The problem here is 'definitions' of stick/performance vs life. The problem with defining 'stick/performance' is the skill level of the rider. With that said....Ive done numerous track days at Thunder Hill running 2:05's on my Gixxer 600 track bike (if that means anything to you guys). What this track day time means is that Im dead valium induced snail slow compared to real race guys, but semi-fast for a canyon guy. The reason I mention this is to explain 'my' opinions on all the tires Ive run. First, our lovely girl has major track day issues due to ground clearance. It drags almost everything, so..... With that said, overall, the PR4's gave me the most stick/peformance + mileage. Period. I got 6400 miles out of a rear, which is about 1000 miles more then any other S/T tire. For example, Road Smart II's last about 5000 on my bike.

FWIW....

·
Registered
655 Posts
I hadnt thought about your take. I ran Q3's on the bike and loved them, but they lasted 2200 miles. Since I rode 21,000 miles last year, $$$ becomes an issue @ 2200 miles per, so.....Im guessing the Angel's would last me 5000'ish, so I may slap a set on and see. And I get you 'hangin off'.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had the centre stand touch down several times with a passenger on the back or if I forget to turn up the the rear pre-load from "one helmet"... but what scrapes the ground after that?
I have no problem putting a knee down and nothing scrapes!

The Angel GTs were a good all-round tyre but as they neared the end of their life, I could feel them letting go and the DTC light would flash on really hard corners.
I'm leaning off a lot harder with the Rossos fitted though - first time out they were balled up and tacky like I'd been on the track so I don't think they'll last for long + a little scary in the wet.

I will be going for PR4's next.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i've had the pegs, center stand touch down on lean angles above approximately 45 degrees. it's manageable with good body position however; even at the track.

let's face it, the multi is not a bike you go and set lap records on at the track but the bike is more than capable out there, even on angel GTs. i'm not saying i'm right or wrong, but every time i've mounted a "sport" tire on a larger, heavier bike, i have felt the tires overwhelmed by the weight and soft carcass of a sportier tire. with a sport touring tire, i've never had that "squirrely" feeling in the rear even at hard acceleration and lean angles.

i think in the end you could mount a sport tire on the multi and it will be serviceable, but the added grip you get from a softer, higher performance tire like a q3 is mitigated by the weight of a bigger bike like the multi. the sport touring tires of today are basically as capable as slicks of 10 years ago. tire technology has progressed so much in the last decade that the current crop of sport touring tires are way more capable than most of us will ever use.

look up the angel GT reviews at the track and you'll see most if not all journalists are amazed at how impressive they are at track speeds and lean angles. and they last longer and are better in the rain/wet conditions. i have a sportier bike and prefer the rosso's or q3s, but the bike weighs alot less than the multi and that is the kind of bike those tires are made for, not a large tourer like the multi. some may disagree, it's just my opinion, but i'll never mount a sport tire on my multi, especially after doing a few track days with my multi using the angel GTs, they were simply amazing.

I've had the centre stand touch down several times with a passenger on the back or if I forget to turn up the the rear pre-load from "one helmet"... but what scrapes the ground after that?
I have no problem putting a knee down and nothing scrapes!

The Angel GTs were a good all-round tyre but as they neared the end of their life, I could feel them letting go and the DTC light would flash on really hard corners.
I'm leaning off a lot harder with the Rossos fitted though - first time out they were balled up and tacky like I'd been on the track so I don't think they'll last for long + a little scary in the wet.

I will be going for PR4's next.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts