Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friends,

Im sure this has been answered before BUT ....

Just got my first MTS, a 2020 1260GT. Getting close to scrubbing off the TERRIBLE, hard, feelingless stock tires which i'm very excited about.

Before the MTS I had a Yamaha FJ 09 that a ran multiple sets of PR4s and a set of PR5s on. Loved the tires had no issues what so ever. I ride rain or shine and the PR series seem to do the trick just fine. They heated up quick and had good feel in the corners.

Looking for a new set for the 1260 and ive seen some alarming reports about the PR5s not fitting/ the chain rubbing against them?

Im interested in the Angel GT2s as well. I have never ridden on them and have seen posts about serious front tire wobble on some pavement.

EDIT: I am interested in a multi weather tire. Dont want a pure sport tire as I ride year round rain or shine. I spend about every other weekend riding aggressively in the mountains of NC so I would like something multi compound as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Put a set of Conti Road Attack III on. Ive tried the others, Angels=Good, PR5s=OK (poor milage on front) Conti RA III, bloody excellent tires and last. Best tire I've ridden in the wet on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same boat, just about worn out the OEM's on my Multi GT but was thinking about getting the Michelin Power 5 (not to be confused with the Road 5). I ran the power RS on previous bikes and found they were a great tyre.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Both are the manufacturers finest. Buy the cheapest ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran angel GT's on one of my 675's. I liked them well enough, mileage was good out of them. Good in the wet. My biggest complaint was that they were hard and unforgiving in the cold. More than once I almost lost the rear end getting on the gas before I should have.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Keep in mind the weight of the bike you may consider a GT variant of either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The PR5s do have the chain rubbing issue. It may not happen for thousands of miles, but chances are you'll encounter it eventually. Not sure anyone knows exactly why it's happening. Probably the most important point to note is that due to this, Michelin doesn't recommend the PR5 be fitted to the 1260 Multistradas.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The PR5s do have the chain rubbing issue. It may not happen for thousands of miles, but chances are you'll encounter it eventually. Not sure anyone knows exactly why it's happening. Probably the most important point to note is that due to this, Michelin doesn't recommend the PR5 be fitted to the 1260 Multistradas.
I just use Pirelli's but I've read that about PR5's in many threads. Those included many photos of rubbed tires. However, I have searched and never found an official statement from Michelin stating that they don't recommend the PR5 for the 1260 Multistrada.
An actual link to that effect would certainly clear the ambiguity if anyone can find one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've got nothing in writing, I spoke to them on the phone after mine were fitted and I noticed the damage. There have been plenty of us who reported the same issue, and Michelin has disabled their tire recommendation system for the non Pikes Peak 1260. I'm not sure they're going to release an official statement, but I was told a communication went out to dealerships asking them not to fit these tires to 1260 models.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
I noticed a minor chain pattern on my deceased pr5's after removal... nothing substantial enough to make me not use them (they're more durable than the AGT's). I do run the GT variant.

Reactions: t-bills

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've got nothing in writing, I spoke to them on the phone after mine were fitted and I noticed the damage. There have been plenty of us who reported the same issue, and Michelin has disabled their tire recommendation system for the non Pikes Peak 1260. I'm not sure they're going to release an official statement, but I was told a communication went out to dealerships asking them not to fit these tires to 1260 models.
Non Pikes Peak is very interesting and you're right. I can also add the 1260GT.
However, like you wrote, the base and the 1260 S does not appear on the following Michelin UK website for the PR5.
Is the swing arm or any other rear component any different?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nope. More likely the web guy got told 'disable the Multistrada 1260', and didn't look to see if there was more than one. Unless the Pikes Peak forged wheel is slightly narrower, but I can't imagine that being the case.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nope. More likely the web guy got told 'disable the Multistrada 1260', and didn't look to see if there was more than one. Unless the Pikes Peak forged wheel is slightly narrower, but I can't imagine that being the case.
If it's not the wheel, then the other main difference is Skyhook vs manual Ohlins, but I can't imagine how that could make a difference. :unsure:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Years before the PR5 was available Michelin has had different tire recommendations for the Pikes Peak vs the standard Multistrada, Multistrada GT or Multistrada S. It appeared that Michelin thought the Pikes Peak might be suited for a sportier tire than the more common Multistrada. I don't know if they knew something or it was just marketing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Put a set of Conti Road Attack III on. Ive tried the others, Angels=Good, PR5s=OK (poor milage on front) Conti RA III, bloody excellent tires and last. Best tire I've ridden in the wet on.
What sort of mileage are you getting out of these?

·
Sophomore Member
3,188 Posts
Well, I experienced the little bit of chain rubbing the tire on my PP. not enough for me to be concerned, but just pointing out it’s not a difference in PP vs non PP.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What sort of mileage are you getting out of these?
Around 8000-9000kms. Angels around 5-6000kms, PR5s, 4500 from front and 6000 from the rear, these have been the tires I've fitted on the GT and 1200 Multi over the last 5 years. Im running S22 now on the 1290R and getting 5000kms a set, they wear out evenly front to rear.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Around 8000-9000kms. Angels around 5-6000kms, PR5s, 4500 from front and 6000 from the rear, these have been the tires I've fitted on the GT and 1200 Multi over the last 5 years. Im running S22 now on the 1290R and getting 5000kms a set, they wear out evenly front to rear.
8-9000 kms sounds great. I've been tempted by S22s, but even with my low mileage (4-5000 miles aka 8000kms/year) I'd be replacing tires more than once a year and that's an annoyance.

Now, if I graduate from a 1 bike to a 2 bike garage, that might change things....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts