Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot believe I just found a pinhole leak right in the middle of my radiator. There is a very tiny stream squirting out once the bike is running. I don't see a dent or any evidence of a rock hitting it where it is squirting out.

Anyone else have any pinhole leaks? I assume the radiator is aluminum, so is it possible to repair an aluminum radiator? If so, is it reliable on a high revving engine? Try to get it covered under warranty? Anyone know what a new one costs?

This sucks. And please, no beatings about not having a rock guard...Ebrew already took care of that (as well as tea and sympathy).

Ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Weird karma, though, as I just installed a radiator guard this afternoon.
Not that it helps you any :(

I would try and have it repaired by warranty if you can. Any evidence that it was caused by a rock-strike? If the fins are straight, then you could argue a defect in workmanship.
I'm sure you can have the radiator repaired. It would either be brazed (brass) or welded (aluminum) and either will be plenty strong if done correctly.
Good luck,
JRT

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's a 2012, with no signs of damage, why are you even considering a repair, it's a warranty item. Get it replaced.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's a 2012, with no signs of damage, why are you even considering a repair, it's a warranty item. Get it replaced.
Downtime waiting for parts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don't you have snow on the ground in Boulder? Seems like a great time for waiting on parts.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Yeah, sounds reasonable.

But I bet If they plow today, Dadridesagain will be out there tearing up the Mass countryside!!

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you have snow on the ground in Boulder? Seems like a great time for waiting on parts.
One of the advantages of being retired is we can go south to SoCal and ride in the winter...unless your radiator is leaking :mad:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cannot believe I just found a pinhole leak right in the middle of my radiator. There is a very tiny stream squirting out once the bike is running. I don't see a dent or any evidence of a rock hitting it where it is squirting out.

Anyone else have any pinhole leaks? I assume the radiator is aluminum, so is it possible to repair an aluminum radiator? If so, is it reliable on a high revving engine? Try to get it covered under warranty? Anyone know what a new one costs?

This sucks. And please, no beatings about not having a rock guard...Ebrew already took care of that (as well as tea and sympathy).

Ideas/suggestions?
It's apparently possible; mine has been repaired for this (by the dealer) while I wait for a new one under warranty. Same symptoms, though I had a rock guard, there was no sign of a dent or anything. Just sprang a pinhole leak.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's apparently possible; mine has been repaired for this (by the dealer) while I wait for a new one under warranty. Same symptoms, though I had a rock guard, there was no sign of a dent or anything. Just sprang a pinhole leak.
Glad to hear that mine is not the only one to spontaneously spring a leak, but sorry to hear that you too are going through this as well.

Very curious as to what your dealer is telling you the estimated lag time is in getting a new radiator, and hopefully they do not have to come from Italy. If it is going to be a long delay, then I will push for a temp repair in order to keep riding. Glad to hear your dealer got you back on the road while you are waiting.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but it did serve as the deciding factor for me to order a R&G radiator guard today.

Thought about an oil cooler guard too but it seems less of a target up high with far less surface area exposed.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW: there is no sign that this was caused by an impact w/ an object, but a guard is probably cheap insurance for that possibility.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
FWIW: there is no sign that this was caused by an impact w/ an object, but a guard is probably cheap insurance for that possibility.
Yes, your situation sounds like a manufacturing defect, but the fear of down time waiting on Italy due to any cause got me going.

Hope you are back up and running soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Glad to hear that mine is not the only one to spontaneously spring a leak, but sorry to hear that you too are going through this as well.

Very curious as to what your dealer is telling you the estimated lag time is in getting a new radiator, and hopefully they do not have to come from Italy. If it is going to be a long delay, then I will push for a temp repair in order to keep riding. Glad to hear your dealer got you back on the road while you are waiting.
Sorry to the bearer of bad news, but:

They said 'extended backorder'. Yes, from Italy -- and out of stock.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to the bearer of bad news, but:

They said 'extended backorder'. Yes, from Italy -- and out of stock.
Hey, I appreciate the info and will not kill the messenger ;-} This lets me know that a temporary repair is necessary while waiting for Godot and how I need to proceed.

I think the extended backorder is BS as the '13 uses the identical radiator and they are building and shipping the '13's so the factory has to have radiators.

I wonder if this has anything to do w/ the new spec antifreeze, ie: did the old AF not play well w/ aluminum? I'll try annd search the forum for the reason for the recall on the old spec AF.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
An exceptional dealer (like mine :)) would offer to strip a new rad from an unsold floor model to repair yours NOW.

·
Old Fast Guy
511 Posts

Ideas/suggestions?
Yes, aluminum radiator can be repaired by any competent radiator repair specialy shop. Yes, the factory installed antifreeze attacks aluminum and is likely the culprit in your case. Full warranty repair IMO. Sucks about the wait time, but you must get warranty approval on the radiator before any temporary repairs are made and you will likely pay out of pocket for the repair vs a free radiator under warrany. Unless you're a several (3+) bike purchaser from the dealer, don't expect anything special from them as far as temp repairs. Good luck! :)

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
A real radiator should should be able to help.

Back in the day, you could get a little plug to insert in the core hole that was leaking and plug that one hole.

Not a big deal but haven't seen them in years. Just a thought. They worked great for oil coolers too.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called GP Cycles of San Diego and talked to the service manager. He asked for and I emailed him a pic of the radiator (I am 2.5 hours from San Diego), he got a replacement approved by Ducati under warranty in about 10 minutes, then located 10 radiators in the east coast warehouse and had two (one for stock) expedited to him. They expect delivery by Saturday and will replace it on Tuesday.

I am from out of state and did not buy the bike from them, although I did just have them perform the 15K service since their tech Mauro was personally recommended to me by Colin Dunne (who won the last two Pikes Peak races on a multi). He did a bang up job on the 15K and after the service the bike runs better than it did when brand new (I think it might have been having the throttle bodies properly synched). AAR: these guys have been a pleasure to deal with and have gone way above and beyond and exceeded my expectations. Sure wish we had a dealer like this in Colorado, and I would suggest that anyone w/in driving distance give these guys a try.

I will not be absolutely sure until the radiator is actually replaced, but it looks like the story will have a fairly quick, stress free, and happy ending. I have no idea why the dealer in ABQ would tell expatbrit that the radiators are backordered from Italy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts