Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at a BMW/Ducati dealership today and met a new, young salesman learning how to use the MS settings options so that he could explain the same to customers. I asked him if he'd played with the PIN code and he hadn't got that far yet. I explained it to him and stated that most dealers reset it to 0000 or 1111 or the last 4 digits of the VIN just to make it easy for themselves/customers. Mine was 1111 when I got my bike. My red key has a plastic tag with a 4 digit number; I wonder if this was the original factory PIN.

Got me thinking; how many owners never changed or even used the PIN? Makes stealing MS bikes and any other PIN Ducatis really easy; turn a knob, wait a few seconds click in the alternatives shown above and see what the screen says. If "Correct" start the bike and ride away.

If you have not already done so, learn how to PIN start and change your PIN to something unique.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pretty sure there was a story somewhere about a bunch of new diavel's being stolen that way a few years back. i thought i would never use that feature but it has already saved my bacon after forgetting my key.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I did not know there was a system on some bikes to start with no key, just a PIN.
Guess I should set the PIN on my bike but if I understand it is only in case the immobilizer fails.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monster4Lee: My PIN is used to start the bike if I have misplaced the key; it overrides the immobilizer. As it sounds like you've never used it then I agree that you should set it now, assuming you are able to. You will need to know the current PIN to change it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sounds like yours has a different system. Mine is a '14 Monster 1200. It seems you must have the key to start it.
From the MOM:

Anyway, I still need to set this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was at a BMW/Ducati dealership today and met a new, young salesman learning how to use the MS settings options so that he could explain the same to customers. I asked him if he'd played with the PIN code and he hadn't got that far yet. I explained it to him and stated that most dealers reset it to 0000 or 1111 or the last 4 digits of the VIN just to make it easy for themselves/customers. Mine was 1111 when I got my bike. My red key has a plastic tag with a 4 digit number; I wonder if this was the original factory PIN.

Got me thinking; how many owners never changed or even used the PIN? Makes stealing MS bikes and any other PIN Ducatis really easy; turn a knob, wait a few seconds click in the alternatives shown above and see what the screen says. If "Correct" start the bike and ride away.

If you have not already done so, learn how to PIN start and change your PIN to something unique.
Good advice. I changed mine day 1 back in 2011.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My dealer never changes the PIN for security reasons.
The default is the metal tag with a 4 digit number attached to the key ring.
I have since personalized the PIN on both bikes.

FYI, the Multistrada will start with the PIN only however, the Monster still requires the key.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
FYI, the Multistrada will start with the PIN only however, the Monster still requires the key.
Interesting. I don't think I like the PIN only start, but hopefully they programmed it so nobody can just start trying codes one at a time until they get it. 4 digits is not that many.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Interesting. I don't think I like the PIN only start, but hopefully they programmed it so nobody can just start trying codes one at a time until they get it. 4 digits is not that many.
Nobody is going to sit there to take the time to enter 9,999 combination randomly. I know what the code is on my bike and it still probably takes 5-10 seconds to enter it properly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was asked to enter my own personal pin when I purchased the bike, it was factory new. Part of the pre-ride intro. Funny, I just entered my 2nd pin code, so I modified it so I don’t have to scroll thru so many digits. I’ve been without a working fab for over a year now so using the pin code is a multiple daily routine for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having bought my bike second hand, this forum is providing excellent information. I didn't know about the pin start and was able to find the old pin and reset it to my own. Thanks!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts