Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I placed a deposit on a pikes peak edition today! So excited, this is everything I wanted after being disappointed with the v4 multi redesign being more of a gs inspired design. I’m already put a list of needed accessories together to make the bike more touring friendly when needed…
I’m anxiously waiting for mine as well. Lemme know what you come up with for accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
214 Posts
I placed a deposit on a pikes peak edition today! So excited, this is everything I wanted after being disappointed with the v4 multi redesign being more of a gs inspired design. I’m already put a list of needed accessories together to make the bike more touring friendly when needed…
Getting the 19” front wheel?

Just kidding. I bet you love the bike. Last I talked to ProItalia here in LA I think they had 9 or 10 deposits down for PPs. What number are you at your shop?

Reactions: mixedup

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
258 Posts
The one other thing that would have swayed me to the PP is MORE POWER! We know it’s capable, so presumably they’re holding back for 2023/2024. Oh….also the graphics…that “I” 😜

That being said, I can’t wait to hear real world impressions! I’m sure it’s incredible!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Getting the 19” front wheel?

Just kidding. I bet you love the bike. Last I talked to ProItalia here in LA I think they had 9 or 10 deposits down for PPs. What number are you at your shop?
My local dealership is Herwaldt in Fresno. I’m the first to place a deposit here but the salesman said the first batch of bikes is almost sold out already and will probably be sold out in a few days according to the Ducati rep he called, what ever that means, but he said delivery will be first quarter 2022..

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’m anxiously waiting for mine as well. Lemme know what you come up with for accessories.

Went on a group ride today on my monster. After an hour, my hands were frozen even though I was wearing thick goretex gloves. I’m gonna order heated grips and probably the larger touring hand guards along with the tall windscreen for starters….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went on a group ride today on my monster. After an hour, my hands were frozen even though I was wearing thick goretex gloves. I’m gonna order heated grips and probably the larger touring hand guards along with the tall windscreen for starters….
Yeah, I've got heated grips (w/hand guards) on my current Pikes Peak -- can't imagine riding without them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maybe so, hoping that @AXSPwr will respond though.

In that case, the only real advantage is having them on the shelf so that you can just order a spring rate and skip the production time for the springs (and COVID supply chain issues).

If the dimensions and rate of the springs are available (and it sounds like that’s possibly a big if) custom ordering isn’t that big a deal IMO.

The bigger concern is the range of available damping that might not actually work for some people depending on weight. I expect that there’s a significant range of damping adjustment but having had the 2012 S Touring and doing the Suspension Control Unit upgrade to get usable suspension, I’m definitely more concerned about the damping than springs.
Sorry about stirring this up and vanishing, last week was crazy.

I did mean that either Ducati or Ohlins should have the parts available and in the catalog to re-valve and re-spring both the shock and the forks. While it would be great if they let you custom order a suspension tuned to a given weight and riding style from the factory, that'll never happen because lawyers.

I agree that for a technical person, custom ordering a linear spring isn't a big deal. Not everyone who buys one of these bikes is technical. For that kind of money, Ducati should have the parts necessary in the catalog, as well as training their technicians in how to do the work. If I'm spending 29k on a 'race' bike, I shouldn't have to immediately delve into the murky world of custom fabrication and voided warranties just to get my suspension tuned right.

Another point of note: As I understand it, all of these semi-active suspension system absolutely require an appropriate weight rider in order to function correctly. If the rider is too heavy or too light, the sensors won't read suspension movement within the calibrated ranges and it basically reverts to being a non-active setup. That's my understanding based upon hazy recollection of some article I read somewhere, so I'm hardly an expert.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Another point of note: As I understand it, all of these semi-active suspension system absolutely require an appropriate weight rider in order to function correctly. If the rider is too heavy or too light, the sensors won't read suspension movement within the calibrated ranges and it basically reverts to being a non-active setup. That's my understanding based upon hazy recollection of some article I read somewhere, so I'm hardly an expert.
I don't believe that is true in any way.

I'm a typical sized (aka slightly overweight) north american (230lbs @ 6ft) and the skyhook on my DVT 1200S copes with my weight just fine. It likely has a bit heavier spring due to the fact it is designed for (occasional) 2-up touring. I recall no mention of an "ideal" rider weight in the manual.

My 2017 S1000R, on the other hand, was severely undersprung for my weight and short of sending to Germany (Wilburs, I think) there was no way to fix it. The manual suggested a rider weight of 75kg (165lbs), while I am closer to 105kg.

Reactions: danaid

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for your reply @AXSPwr I understand what you’re referring to now.

I’ve had that experience on some older electronic suspension systems - where no matter what setting I use, it’s painfully harsh. The worst so far was the ‘17 Super Duke GT, I ended up replacing springs at both ends.

I don’t know about the Ohlins setup, my ‘12 S Touring wasn’t great until the SCU came out which was intended to address the very issue it actually solved for me - having enough range to configure for lighter people.

·
Registered
666 Posts

I'm a typical sized (aka slightly overweight) north american (230lbs @ 6ft) and the skyhook on my DVT 1200S copes with my weight just fine. It likely has a bit heavier spring due to the fact it is designed for (occasional) 2-up touring. I recall no mention of an "ideal" rider weight in the manual.

My 2017 S1000R, on the other hand, was severely undersprung for my weight and short of sending to Germany (Wilburs, I think) there was no way to fix it. The manual suggested a rider weight of 75kg (165lbs), while I am closer to 105kg.
What do you mean by it copes with it, though? We're about the same size, and while my '18 handles my weight just fine with some preload set, I can't say I've ever noticed the semi-active part of Skyhook doing anything. I appreciate it all the same because the way I ride being able to change from a cushy highway tune to a sport oriented one is awesome. That's just electronically adjustable suspension though, nothing to do with semi-active. I've never once noticed the semi-active piece working, and I've tried plenty.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What do you mean by it copes with it, though? We're about the same size, and while my '18 handles my weight just fine with some preload set, I can't say I've ever noticed the semi-active part of Skyhook doing anything. I appreciate it all the same because the way I ride being able to change from a cushy highway tune to a sport oriented one is awesome. That's just electronically adjustable suspension though, nothing to do with semi-active. I've never once noticed the semi-active piece working, and I've tried plenty.
By coping I mean it can handle my weight, my S1000R definitely could not. It was made for a rider with a more "european" build.

If my suspension bottoms out on a rough road, I find it seems to increase the pre-load to cope, but maybe I'm feeling something that's not happening?

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts

I'm also around 230... and I'd like heavier springs on the bike but I do agree that it's not a huge problem. One of the points of 'active' suspensions is the ability to vary based on conditions - and they DO have "two passengers with baggage" as one of the preload settings... so Ducati think the bike suspension is able to handle in the vicinity of 300lbs.

Even with a multiweek touring load (had to be close to 300lbs with my chunk in the saddle) I never had issues with suspension bottoming out or undesirable suspension characteristics and that's up to 95mph on a brief slab run in Texas.

Reactions: iamzombie

·
Registered
19 Posts

I'm going to order one to. Juist need to decide the accesoires...
I already have a hypermotard 950 SP and I keep it.
The multistrada is mostly for riding with passenger and for commutting when it gets colder.

I was thinking to take this accessories

• heated grips
  • heated seats
  • touring windscreen
  • panniers (but will mostly leave them off)
  • center stand (so I have more room in garage)
  • alarm ????

comments welcome :)

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
35 Posts
Having owned both Multi and GS and having ridden a Multi V4, I can say in my experience that the GS steers much quicker than the V4 Multi. I'm saying that is leaning from one side to the other at speed in the corners. I have 3 friends who have sold GSs and bought the V4 that feel the same way. That doesn't mean that the GS is faster necessarily through the corners but it's much shorter wheelbase and lower center of gravity help a lot. That is only apparent in side by side or back to back comparisons.

Not that any of that has to do with road feedback.

But, let me step away from that any further b/c we don't want this to be a comparison thread to another kraut bike. 😁
I had a 2020 R1250 GS and rode 32 K km's on it. Now I have a Multi V4S 2021. And somehow I totally think the opposite. The Multi is quicker on any curvy roads, including successive curvy roads and wide curves. It throws its nose quicker into the turns then I think my 1250 GS did.

but considering that you gain speed with the multi it may seem that it steers not so easy into. Keep an eye on the entry speed and then re evaluate I guess...or may be we just see things different.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel your agony in that decision. The PP will be a brilliant bike no doubt, but if you want the touring features of the "S" it's going to be a pretty expensive proposition to get there. However, the new Pikes Peak really looks great (controversial #1 aside). Looks keep you warm, right? 😁
i have owned almost every Multi since they first came out, and my new V4S Multi is the best by far. I am lucky enough to have a SF V4S too, so i get my sporty thrills from that. The new Multi sublime, but i'd argue that the 950 or new V2 Multi is the Goldilocks Multi... Its a super competent bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The multistrada is mostly for riding with passenger and for commutting when it gets colder.

• heated grips
  • heated seats
  • touring windscreen
  • alarm ????

How do you like your 950 Hyper? I had the 939 and loved it, but its was super snatchy... and too angry for around town.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i have owned almost every Multi since they first came out, and my new V4S Multi is the best by far. I am lucky enough to have a SF V4S too, so i get my sporty thrills from that. The new Multi sublime, but i'd argue that the 950 or new V2 Multi is the Goldilocks Multi... Its a super competent bike.
Agreed, even though I've only owned 2 previous gen Multis. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you like your 950 Hyper? I had the 939 and loved it, but its was super snatchy... and too angry for around town.
I'm keeping it!
I really like it for commuting the short didtance I do (10 miles single).
It's a fun bike, I have the full termi on it, so it's safe for lane splitting, they hear me ;-)

I found my hyper1100 more snatchy..

·
Registered
381 Posts

• heated grips
  • heated seats
  • touring windscreen
  • alarm ????

I just started buying accessories for my '22 PP.

Purchased:
Heated grips
Heated seats
Fog lights
Engine guard
LED rear turn signals
Carbon rear mudguard

On the list:
Top case (plastic)
Saddlebags (plastic)
Akra full exhaust
Center stand