Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there's already a thread but I didnt see it.

I know that a lot of you were pretty bummed when the V4 came out with a 19 inch front wheel and a dual swing arm. Now that the PP is here what are your thoughts on the bike?
For me this version absolutely addresses every issue I had with the first V4. For me it was mostly the relaxed touring focused ergonomics and seating position. But all of the performance upgrades are a big plus. I felt the new bike stepped way into the realm of the BMW GS which is not what I want ,and the pikes peak brings it back to what I like about Ducati. And that is a bike that does it's job and also has performance above the rest.

I'm excited to ride it.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There’s a ton of discussion on the new. PP in this thread, but perhaps starting a new one isn’t a bad idea:

yeah I saw that but the last few pages were mostly a comparison to the bmw XR - I can understand that but I'm not really interested in that comparison nor all of the negative banter. hopefully this thread wont devolve into that too.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Awesome, another thread to argue in. :) Here's the TLDR summary of my posts from that thread:

• I was one of the biggest naysayers of the new 19" front / new multi as an owner of previous MTS1200s (mostly on advrider as I was not a MTS owner since 2017)
  • Decided I liked the motor, ergos, suspension enough to buy a new V4S "full" (sport?) last july after a test ride - better ergos / tech than my 2017 ktm SDGT. Heard the PP rumor but didn't want to wait for it, and figured if the PP was that amazing I'll trade up eventually.
  • 2 wks ago I was on an Edelweiss tour in Spain on a 1260 S Multi (they don't have V4Ss in their fleet yet) for 2300kms and I'll happily detail out how better the V4S is over the 1260 S (yes even the 17" front) but it seems most folks don't want to hear it.
  • Agree with the aesthetic opinions and the reality of limited tire choices of the 19" front wheel. Disagree vehemently that it somehow holds back the bike performance-wise compared to previous MTS1200s.
  • Disagree 100% with anybody that says the V4S is "too GS" - I owned a 2017.5 1200GS, that comparison is overly generous to the GS and 100% inaccurate for the V4S lol. IMHO if BMW "Multistrada'd" the GS, they'd get a LOT of complaints for making such a "hardcore" sport tourer out of the GS lol.
  • The PP is great but not what I want in an everyday / sport touring moto - the V4S is exactly what I wanted: a modern update of my '14 MTS1200PP with V4 goodness and a tad more comfortable for long trips. The PP went the opposite way from comfort / sport touring (for me). I'm on the list for one but it'll be a 2nd bike to my V4S, not a replacement.
All great points and I hope to ride both the PP and an S back to back to also see which bike suits me better.

When I rode the V4S I loved the engine, my biggest complaint was the relaxed nature of the bike at the cost of nimbleness and handling. The 19" front wheel didnt bother me a bit but the riding position did. You can call that a more GS-like position or not but the bike lost some of the fun-factor that my current 1200 has.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One thing I wish about the new PP that I haven't seen anyone mention yet - is anybody else wishing they put the "real" streetfighter / panigale V4S motor in the PP, instead of the "toned down" multistrada-specific V4S?
I mean - we're already at 17" front, SSSA, wider rear, street/track focused performance with the current PP. Are valve adjustment intervals and fuel tank range big selling points for y'all on this type of moto?
Give me the announced PP with the 200+hp V4 motor and I'd happily fork over $34k for it. :)
No not me - I'm very much for the smother, quieter, less complicated and lower maintenance of the non-desmo V4. 170 HP is plenty and the engine character is phenomenal. I have a 2021 streetfighter S and I think the multi engine is... the only way I can describe it is - sweeter...

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like I’m in the same boat as the OP, the changes made to PP make it something I want. The V4S isn’t something that excites me. The motor is cool, the service intervals are nice. I can feel the affect of the 19” front wheel having ridden the V4S back to back with my SDGT. I’m excited to have a dry clutch again as well. Dumb but I love them. :D

More than happy for others to have their own opinions of course.
All great but I don't think the dry clutch is a standard feature of the pikes peak. Of course you can always add it later.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The more sporty riding position is in comparison to the V4 Multi. All of the liquid cooled Multistrada have a sportier riding position compared to the V4Multi. It could turn out that the PP riding position is very close to the 10-20 Multistrada and the odd riding position is with the V4 Multi.
This is exactly what I've been thinking too. I have a 11 mts and I'm wondering if the V4PP is close to my first series 1200. My bike is now 11 years old and getting a bit long in the tooth, I've been looking at all the new multis as they've been announced since about 2014 and so far they all seem to be stepping away from what I like. this may be the first step back.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Please educate me - What is the advantage of a dry clutch?
First - it has a legacy from racing and in older Ducati engines so its a romance thing - but there are some advantages - it doesn't pollute your oil with clutch dust and you can change the plates more quickly and without draining the oil. again mostly an advantage in a racing application. - but I think most of us like it because it looks cool...

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So you actually took the time to search, found a thread talking about the same as yours, but because it had "unpleasant infos to you", you started a new one? 🤔 Interesting 😅
well actually that thread was months old with speculation and a lot of unknowns about what would be released, so it wasn't really on topic until the last couple of pages. By then it devolved into an argument about a BMW. I figured a new thread would get us back on topic but if you want to bitch about me starting a new thread we can just flush this one down the toilet too - or else we could discuss the pro's and cons of the pikes peak if that's ok with you?

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
This is actually pretty tough for me. I like the touring nature of the V4S but I do feel that it has lost some of its sporting feel and ability - the bike is now a much more competent tourer.

If we are to believe the Ducati marketing hype the Pikes Peak has brought the performance back to the model and I do think I'd miss that if I were to buy the S.

The problem is what I need and what I think I want are 2 different things. I still feel like I'm a performance guy but the reality is I really don't ride the multi real froggy very much - I use it for long trips and 95% of the time I'm riding with a pillion. On top of that the new bike is crazy expensive with the touring accessories I'd have to buy.

I have 3 choices:
1) just keep my current 2011 MTS (which I just serviced for over $2000) and ride it till the engine gives up.
2) Be uncharacteristically pragmatic and buy the V4S that will probably do everything I need but be a bit fat and stodgy.
3) go for all the gold and get a Pikes Peak with a billion dollars worth of touring stuff that should have been on the bike in the first place.

The only way to know for sure is to ride them all back to back and that is what I plan to do.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I know exactly what your going through. Just went through the same thing. Sport biker at heart, but getting older and riding with the wife all the time. FWIW I kept my 2012 MTS for now and bought a GSA. I may sell the MTS to my son and get a 916/996 or maybe Panigale V2 to scratch the hooligan itch occasionally. Don’t know yet, but I’m in no rush to let go of my MTS
For many of us the 10-11-12 multi is still the best of the series - they are the sportiest and the most pure - every evolution from that point on tried to do things more practical and less sporty. I dont think I'll let go of mine even if I get a new one. And the new V4 is the furthest away from that bike the multi has ever been. I'm kinda hoping the new Pikes Peak reels it back in, at least part way. But I bought the current mts 11 years ago - is that pure-sport tourer really what I still need? Truth is, probably not - I'm just finding that hard to accept.

I can tell you this; I am not a GS guy and never will be - I find the boxer twin to be completely without excitement and the telelever front to be blindingly numb. So that bike is not an option for me. (yeah, I know a lot of people love both of those things - its just not right for me, so please don't go all crazy on my opinion 😜 )

Luckily I do have a streetfighter to scratch that hooligan itch when I get it - and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's here so...

this has been an amazing fall:
Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle

This shot was taken about 10 days ago at about 830AM up near Asheville NC. raining lightly, 35 degrees, and this 10 mile stretch of winding dirt road beginning to turn to mud. Even though I rarely take the mts off tarmac it feels very confident to do so.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I thought the same thing about the GS until I owned one, great bike and so is the multistrada. I still miss my 2012 multi With ohlins. We are in the golden age of motorcycles
formed my opinion of the GS after renting one for a week and putting 2500 ish" miles on it...

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Having owned both Multi and GS and having ridden a Multi V4, I can say in my experience that the GS steers much quicker than the V4 Multi. I'm saying that is leaning from one side to the other at speed in the corners. I have 3 friends who have sold GSs and bought the V4 that feel the same way. That doesn't mean that the GS is faster necessarily through the corners but it's much shorter wheelbase and lower center of gravity help a lot. That is only apparent in side by side or back to back comparisons.

Not that any of that has to do with road feedback.

But, let me step away from that any further b/c we don't want this to be a comparison thread to another kraut bike. 😁
Saying the GS steers quicker than the V4S is not saying a whole lot. The V4S is pretty sluggish side to side... 🥴

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Is it though?
My V4S turns as well as a 1260 S I rode a few weeks ago, with the added confidence from better suspension feel and throttle response / fueling.
What GS are you comparing it to? The 2017.5 I had was not very nimble but I never thrashed it anywhere near the limit because I didn't connect with the front end feel.
What I'm really comparing it to is my 2011 MTS. I rode it back to back with the new V4S and the new bike honestly felt sluggish (side to side) to me.

I'm with you on everything here. But compared to the first series 1200 the bigger heavier 1260 isn't nimble either. But hey, lets try to stick with comparing like bikes; All of the multis are super nice road bikes with handling and performance on top of the segment, and I feel exactly the same way you describe about the GS that I had (for a week) a few years back.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I compared my 1250 GS to a V4 Multi as well as my new 1260S. GS is hands down quicker when transitioning than either of the Multi's. I live in N. Ga so there's plenty of curvy roads to test that on. Over 2" shorter wheelbase on the GS. Now, the GSA doesn't handle quite as well as a GS in my experience (I've owned both). YMMV.
I just dont feel the same way - the GS to me is BORING 😜 I but I still love you man!

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I was at the Ducati dealership today. They received a letter from HQ that says no more PP for 2022. I am getting the only one at this dealership and they sell a lot of duc's. Those confirmed will be getting a bike and those pending will probably push to 2023. Check with your sales rep on status of your bike to make sure you still can get one in 2022 if you placed an order. I placed my order on launch date.
They got a "letter" ? :ROFLMAO:
Sure they did -

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Yeah, i'm 80kg ready to ride and my 1200S skyhook works very well for me as well....
super happy with it actually.

I know a guy that tracks his BMW S1000RR with active suspension and he is roughly your size.... he got so frustrated with BMW and their lack of any way of adjusting it that he pulled it out and replaced it completely. He is not pleased and neither would i be.
I had an S1000R with active suspension and it was useless. not only did it fail to do any kind of adjusting but it was impossible to adjust manually and it completely sucked. I know several on the BMW forums who pulled it off the bike and replaced it with decent manual suspension...

I think the ohlins system is a bit better than that crap.

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Totally believable actually.....

Here's the bulletin my dealer got regarding the V4SP availability, or lack of it......
Still not buying it. The panigale V4SP is a limited production bike, of course availability will end. The pikes peak is not a limited production unit, they will make as many as they can sell. I'll call my dealer and ask later today

·
Bon Vivant
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I just watched a couple of these from the California press launch. Seems they invited some small time you tubers but forgot about some of the bigger reviewers like MCN and Cycle world. (or maybe they haven't posted yet?) I wasn't too impressed with this review from 44 teeth - it was long and had a bit too much babbling on about stop lights, being cold, and eating too much etc. After 30 minutes of video I got about 10 minutes worth of insight into the bike. Way too much video of California traffic.

I have one on order - I was excited to see a few reviews. I hope a few more pop up in the next few days

This guy was just giddy about being there and couldn't muster up the strength to be objective - but he did get some good footage of Josh Hayes doing wheelies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts