Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there's already a thread but I didnt see it.

I know that a lot of you were pretty bummed when the V4 came out with a 19 inch front wheel and a dual swing arm. Now that the PP is here what are your thoughts on the bike?
For me this version absolutely addresses every issue I had with the first V4. For me it was mostly the relaxed touring focused ergonomics and seating position. But all of the performance upgrades are a big plus. I felt the new bike stepped way into the realm of the BMW GS which is not what I want ,and the pikes peak brings it back to what I like about Ducati. And that is a bike that does it's job and also has performance above the rest.

I'm excited to ride it.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,962 Posts
There’s a pretty decent discussion at this thread.

For me it’s a $32k bike before taxes (want bags, center stand, aux lights, heated grips) and I’m not sure I want to go there. A test ride will cement my thoughts but not sure I’ll get one anytime soon so I’m looking forward to reviews and thoughts posted here.

What I’m most curious to hear about is how the seating position compares to the 1260 I’ve got now. I know Ducati have changed the ergos a bit but if it’s near my bike, I’ll be good with that part of it.

IMO this is what the V4 Multi should’ve been to start with. I’d have been fine with Skyhook over Ohlins and basically the electronics and braking package of the V4S.

I think a truly ultimate Pikes Peak bike would’ve included the V4 unit out of the StreetFighter/Panigale.

·
Registered
594 Posts
There’s a ton of discussion on the new. PP in this thread, but perhaps starting a new one isn’t a bad idea:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry if there's already a thread but I didnt see it.

I know that a lot of you were pretty bummed when the V4 came out with a 19 inch front wheel and a dual swing arm. Now that the PP is here what are your thoughts on the bike?
For me this version absolutely addresses every issue I had with the first V4. For me it was mostly the relaxed touring focused ergonomics and seating position. But all of the performance upgrades are a big plus. I felt the new bike stepped way into the realm of the BMW GS which is not what I want ,and the pikes peak brings it back to what I like about Ducati. And that is a bike that does it's job and also has performance above the rest.

I'm excited to ride it.
Awesome, another thread to argue in. :) Here's the TLDR summary of my posts from that thread:

• I was one of the biggest naysayers of the new 19" front / new multi as an owner of previous MTS1200s (mostly on advrider as I was not a MTS owner since 2017)
  • Decided I liked the motor, ergos, suspension enough to buy a new V4S "full" (sport?) last july after a test ride - better ergos / tech than my 2017 ktm SDGT. Heard the PP rumor but didn't want to wait for it, and figured if the PP was that amazing I'll trade up eventually.
  • 2 wks ago I was on an Edelweiss tour in Spain on a 1260 S Multi (they don't have V4Ss in their fleet yet) for 2300kms and I'll happily detail out how better the V4S is over the 1260 S (yes even the 17" front) but it seems most folks don't want to hear it.
  • Agree with the aesthetic opinions and the reality of limited tire choices of the 19" front wheel. Disagree vehemently that it somehow holds back the bike performance-wise compared to previous MTS1200s.
  • Disagree 100% with anybody that says the V4S is "too GS" - I owned a 2017.5 1200GS, that comparison is overly generous to the GS and 100% inaccurate for the V4S lol. IMHO if BMW "Multistrada'd" the GS, they'd get a LOT of complaints for making such a "hardcore" sport tourer out of the GS lol.
  • The PP is great but not what I want in an everyday / sport touring moto - the V4S is exactly what I wanted: a modern update of my '14 MTS1200PP with V4 goodness and a tad more comfortable for long trips. The PP went the opposite way from comfort / sport touring (for me). I'm on the list for one but it'll be a 2nd bike to my V4S, not a replacement.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One thing I wish about the new PP that I haven't seen anyone mention yet - is anybody else wishing they put the "real" streetfighter / panigale V4S motor in the PP, instead of the "toned down" multistrada-specific V4S?
I mean - we're already at 17" front, SSSA, wider rear, street/track focused performance with the current PP. Are valve adjustment intervals and fuel tank range big selling points for y'all on this type of moto?
Give me the announced PP with the 200+hp V4 motor and I'd happily fork over $34k for it. :)

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There’s a ton of discussion on the new. PP in this thread, but perhaps starting a new one isn’t a bad idea:

yeah I saw that but the last few pages were mostly a comparison to the bmw XR - I can understand that but I'm not really interested in that comparison nor all of the negative banter. hopefully this thread wont devolve into that too.

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Awesome, another thread to argue in. :) Here's the TLDR summary of my posts from that thread:

• I was one of the biggest naysayers of the new 19" front / new multi as an owner of previous MTS1200s (mostly on advrider as I was not a MTS owner since 2017)
  • Decided I liked the motor, ergos, suspension enough to buy a new V4S "full" (sport?) last july after a test ride - better ergos / tech than my 2017 ktm SDGT. Heard the PP rumor but didn't want to wait for it, and figured if the PP was that amazing I'll trade up eventually.
  • 2 wks ago I was on an Edelweiss tour in Spain on a 1260 S Multi (they don't have V4Ss in their fleet yet) for 2300kms and I'll happily detail out how better the V4S is over the 1260 S (yes even the 17" front) but it seems most folks don't want to hear it.
  • Agree with the aesthetic opinions and the reality of limited tire choices of the 19" front wheel. Disagree vehemently that it somehow holds back the bike performance-wise compared to previous MTS1200s.
  • Disagree 100% with anybody that says the V4S is "too GS" - I owned a 2017.5 1200GS, that comparison is overly generous to the GS and 100% inaccurate for the V4S lol. IMHO if BMW "Multistrada'd" the GS, they'd get a LOT of complaints for making such a "hardcore" sport tourer out of the GS lol.
  • The PP is great but not what I want in an everyday / sport touring moto - the V4S is exactly what I wanted: a modern update of my '14 MTS1200PP with V4 goodness and a tad more comfortable for long trips. The PP went the opposite way from comfort / sport touring (for me). I'm on the list for one but it'll be a 2nd bike to my V4S, not a replacement.
All great points and I hope to ride both the PP and an S back to back to also see which bike suits me better.

When I rode the V4S I loved the engine, my biggest complaint was the relaxed nature of the bike at the cost of nimbleness and handling. The 19" front wheel didnt bother me a bit but the riding position did. You can call that a more GS-like position or not but the bike lost some of the fun-factor that my current 1200 has.

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One thing I wish about the new PP that I haven't seen anyone mention yet - is anybody else wishing they put the "real" streetfighter / panigale V4S motor in the PP, instead of the "toned down" multistrada-specific V4S?
I mean - we're already at 17" front, SSSA, wider rear, street/track focused performance with the current PP. Are valve adjustment intervals and fuel tank range big selling points for y'all on this type of moto?
Give me the announced PP with the 200+hp V4 motor and I'd happily fork over $34k for it. :)
No not me - I'm very much for the smother, quieter, less complicated and lower maintenance of the non-desmo V4. 170 HP is plenty and the engine character is phenomenal. I have a 2021 streetfighter S and I think the multi engine is... the only way I can describe it is - sweeter...

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
253 Posts
FWIW, the price (and the graphics somewhat) on the new PP disappointed me. I was also hoping for more power (we all know the V4 is capable of so much more!). I actually became more interested in the standard V4S after seeing the PP details! Finally took one for a test ride yesterday and really enjoyed it. That motor is lovely….smooth and sneaky fast. Riding position seems similar to my 16 PP. Wind protection is much better. Seat is more comfortable. Blind spot detection is way more visible (and therefore more useful) than the barely visible blinking on the mirrors of my car.

I might actually buy one!

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Yes, I’ve seen it in my post which was 2 above yours. ;)

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
And a 12 gallon tank so you might make 250 miles. The V4 is a pig under 8k rpm and would make a terrible pick for the multi.
The V4 from the SF is no doubt thirsty however the PP was introduced on the track and doesn’t come with any touring “stuff” so I don’t think it’s that far of a stretch to think it’s be a suitable motor in that bike. It has a race mode and the front braking setup from the Panigale no less.

Granturismo motor is far from a deal breaker.

Maybe Ducati will go mental with a PP SP and put the V4 desmo motor in it

Can’t wait for @flynbulldog to have a PP demo to share his thoughts on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like I’m in the same boat as the OP, the changes made to PP make it something I want. The V4S isn’t something that excites me. The motor is cool, the service intervals are nice. I can feel the affect of the 19” front wheel having ridden the V4S back to back with my SDGT. I’m excited to have a dry clutch again as well. Dumb but I love them. :D

More than happy for others to have their own opinions of course.

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like I’m in the same boat as the OP, the changes made to PP make it something I want. The V4S isn’t something that excites me. The motor is cool, the service intervals are nice. I can feel the affect of the 19” front wheel having ridden the V4S back to back with my SDGT. I’m excited to have a dry clutch again as well. Dumb but I love them. :D

More than happy for others to have their own opinions of course.
All great but I don't think the dry clutch is a standard feature of the pikes peak. Of course you can always add it later.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah I saw that but the last few pages were mostly a comparison to the bmw XR - I can understand that but I'm not really interested in that comparison nor all of the negative banter. hopefully this thread wont devolve into that too.
If you don’t want the negatives, you can change the title to PP Snowflake Thread. Otherwise, it’s hard to keep the internet from getting dark 😉

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well I'll be the jerk I guess, what's wrong with comparing and contrasting what would be the only real competition for the PP? The XR is the bike most people would be cross-shopping with a PP, ignoring it would be dumb.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts