Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Ducati top and side cases installed at time of purchased on a 2012 Pikes Peak. Side case are the large volume size. Bike had 1800 miles on it at time cracks were noticed. The side latches from GIVI are cracking/splitting at case seam and the top case is cracking at the large mounting attachment screw for the colored inserts at the forward side on both sides, Dealer just replace one rear latch and both top case inserts.

Both new dealer installed colored inserts have a stress molding defect where the largest attachment screw installs them which is the same place the last inserts cracked. So they are ordring new parts again. Anyone else experiencing this issue who have the Panniers? The cases have never been overloaded. It seems like materials or process GIVI is manufacturing these cases is flawed and will repeatdly exhibit the same problems.

We rode to summit of Pikes Peaks on July 4th. So bike is an limited limited edition Pikes peak model now since it has offically "Summited the Peak". Notice my wife has the collectors Pikes Peak rally T-Shirt dated July 8th we bought at lodge on top. I do not know what they'll do for shirts since the rally was postponed till August 12th.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't say much about your findings except that I'm sorry.
But it's nice to see someone from New Braunfels! I grew up in San Marcos and have many fond memories of skipping school to ride the 'chute'. This was long enough ago that German language was still required in all public schools in the town(and the language of instruction in some).
Cheers,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
just chiming in because New Braunfels holds many memories for me too. Grew up in Houston and went to Texas A&M. Spent many nights in tents and cars to save money for air fills. Recall ripping through the Comal chute so many times, and (illegally) spearing catfish in Canyon Lake. I wonder if the Schlitterbahn is still running?

Oh, I have a Pikes Peak too but longest trip so far has been about 2 hours each way. Hope to cross the country soon.

Haven't noticed any cracking in my panniers or topcase so far, I have the smaller size.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My topcase is used daily and never off the bike and it is fine. I use the side panniers maybe 4 times a year and they are also fine. Maybe you have a bad moulding. Maybe politely suggest the dealer replace the entire set?

Remember also that the early side panniers were (and still are) poorly moulded and there was a retrofitted front and rear latches to get them to close. A bit dodgy but it does point to a design or manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My topcase is used daily and never off the bike and it is fine. I use the side panniers maybe 4 times a year and they are also fine...
+1 same here. All good so far - I can be lucky too sometimes I guess!

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
don't hide the pretty paint

Hey travelingman, peel off those unsightly frame stickers and stick them to the sides of the "glove box" under your seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was there just after you. July 12th I think. From Washington DC to Vegas, up and around seeing everything on the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts