Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

8601 - 8620 of 8692 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OoohKay. :ROFLMAO:

Went for a ride today. Took off my boots when I got home and found this nasty on the floor.
Snapped the pic then buried it at sea. Yay for heavy duty leather.

View attachment 985970
I'm sure this has happened in some form or another to most of us, the 'ol wasp in the riding gear business.
My most memorable must have been quite amusing to observe. I wish someone had taken a video, but it was in'06 I believe, just before camera with video capability in a phone became ubiquitous.
I was about two blocks from home after a long, hot day in the saddle of my 996. I had my full leathers unzipped part way due to the heat and riding slowly at this point in the urban environment. With the forward lean required by the 996 ergos it was perfect suction for a flying critter and sure enough a wasp flew straight into the tight confines of my leathers and starts stinging and buzzing angrily about. First I have to pull the bike off to the side of the road in as controlled a manner as I can manage, then get off the bike and put the kick stand down, all the while angry waspy is doing his thing in my leathers. Then the amusing part starts for any bystanders who might have been around. Up to this point nothing would have appeared amiss, other than how quickly I veered off the road.
Now I start this crazy dance trying to get my back pack off and get my tight leathers off my sweaty body. You know how difficult full leathers can be to take off under normal, controlled circumstances, but add in tiredness from many hours of summer riding and an angry wasp having his way with your torso..., well, I imagine I looked like quite the crazed dancing, madman
picotte888955.jpg

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
if the engine showed up in a frame, sure, agreed. Restore it. If it was found in a barn, no frame etc, Shinya's work would be its highest and best use. Dude's a wizard.

Its less about bleeding edge, more about heart and soul.
Shimura is famous for taking expensive rare bikes and shitting on them with disrespect, turning them into his own brand of ratbike. I have been a restorer for most of my life and have a love and respect of the history of the worlds masterpieces. From my vantage point what Shimura does is nothing more than a rich kid's disrespectful cry for attention. Oh, in case you're wondering, I see his talent and art, but I'd rather see him make sculptures
I had to go find a Pinterest page someone made with over 100 of Shimuras bikes on it to see if he had done anything I might like. Found an old MV Agusta I kinda liked, but the original is prettier.

I rank Shimura right up there with WCC and OCC*....builders of unrideables that people like to stand around and gawk at.

I guess the easiest way to say this is....Shinya is like a cook, but his palate is different from mine. Nothing he cooks tastes good to me. He has a talent for metal work , but his lines are wrong for me. Very wrong.

As I used to tell customers who were thinking of getting a custom paint job on their bike...be very careful, the further you get away from stock, the smaller your fan base becomes. Not everyone is going to like it, and it becomes harder to unload when you want to sell it and move on. But, do something classy and you might get a good buck out of it.

Many times I've looked at a "custom" paint job on a bike and thought to myself, "I hope the owner really likes it, because he's married to that one. He'll never be able to sell it for the price of a good, stock one..."

* (This is sarcasm..WCC and OCC are clowns of the highest order IMHO)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm sure this has happened in some form or another to most of us, the 'ol wasp in the riding gear business.
My most memorable must have been quite amusing to observe. I wish someone had taken a video, but it was in'06 I believe, just before camera with video capability in a phone became ubiquitous.
I was about two blocks from home after a long, hot day in the saddle of my 996. I had my full leathers unzipped part way due to the heat and riding slowly at this point in the urban environment. With the forward lean required by the 996 ergos it was perfect suction for a flying critter and sure enough a wasp flew straight into the tight confines of my leathers and starts stinging and buzzing angrily about. First I have to pull the bike off to the side of the road in as controlled a manner as I can manage, then get off the bike and put the kick stand down, all the while angry waspy is doing his thing in my leathers. Then the amusing part starts for any bystanders who might have been around. Up to this point nothing would have appeared amiss, other than how quickly I veered off the road.
Now I start this crazy dance trying to get my back pack off and get my tight leathers off my sweaty body. You know how difficult full leathers can be to take off under normal, controlled circumstances, but add in tiredness from many hours of summer riding and an angry wasp having his way with your torso..., well, I imagine I looked like quite the crazed dancing, madman View attachment 985973

... at an ama district 38 desert race i was in (200 miles long) i ran into a swarm of bees at 75mph. i didn't even see them until i was right in the middle of the swarm. i began being stung all over my torso and neck, they had got under my chest protector and jersey and were stinging the hell out of me. i hauled ass to get as far away from the swarm as i could before pulled off the course and started stripping frantically. i was already feeling ~weird~ from all of the bee venom, i could feel it inside me. by the time i got my jersey off and brushed off all of the bees that i could reach, i could see at least two dozen stings, some still had little stingers in them, the stingers still pumping venom even though the bee was no longer attached to his stinger (they then die). they sting, then "eject" the stinger and it's venom pump so it stays in the victim even if the bee is brushed away .... little bastards! hive-survival thing i guess, sacrifice themselves to protect the hive. anyhow, another racer came by, saw me and stopped ... he helped me brush off more bees, he was very concerned about the number of stings, and those were just what we could see!

i kept telling that guy i was "fine" (he clearly wasn't buying it though), put my stuff back on, got back on the banshee and finished 2nd. i got sick on the race course (puked, but luckily NOT in my helmet, i got it off before i ralphed), and the bee sting venom was really making me feel these cold chills even though it was July and 110f degrees out and i was wrestling a 400 pound 85hp machine at an average speed of about 50mph. 1988 i think ...

it was this race ..... pic shot by one of those trackside photographers that sold you pictures of you at your last race when you saw him at the next race. i was looking down at my checkpoint chart ... being a bit airborne was the only real chance you have to take a moment to look down at the chart. i was clocked on the dry lake portion at 104mph (radar gun) and 107mph at the following race a few weeks later. how those atv tires survived those speeds is beyond me. full-on Toomey RD400 engine, full Toomey exhuast ... stock engine is a 350cc twin. and a few more little ... uh ... tricks. ... wink wink.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had to go find a Pinterest page someone made with over 100 of Shimuras bikes on it to see if he had done anything I might like. Found an old MV Agusta I kinda liked, but the original is prettier.

I rank Shimura right up there with WCC and OCC*....builders of unrideables that people like to stand around and gawk at.

I guess the easiest way to say this is....Shinya is like a cook, but his palate is different from mine. Nothing he cooks tastes good to me. He has a talent for metal work , but his lines are wrong for me. Very wrong...

* (This is sarcasm..WCC and OCC are clowns of the highest order IMHO)

A fair perspective. I'd hope/assume that for any old, complete bike handed over to him, that he'd hand back the undamaged original parts to the owner.

I guess what I find compelling about his work is his visual story-telling. His expression of hand-hammered/liquid metal forms that start in a familiar place - board racer or cafe racer quarter fairing, tail, tank - but twists and pulls and hammers them in buck rogers directions, then makes sure to leave a dusty patina to kill off any sense of the object being so precious that one is afraid to actually use it, or even sit on it. The bikes pull a yarn about being a futuristic artifact from the 1940s or 50's, complete with antique shop dents and dust.

By expressing his craft process in the finished form, he's the opposite of an OEM factory designer, or an Arlen Ness where perfect, mirror-polished form is the be-all/end-all. There is a centuries-old Japanese Zen aesthetic philosophy around valuing forms, materials & surfaces with natural qualities and hand-hewn markings of the maker, which would be called defects in the West. A knot becomes a valued focal point of character in an otherwise clear grain piece of pine. In the West, that knot downgrades the wood. It has a handsome quality like an old war plane whose scars have some stories to tell. The bullet holes, dented panels and patina'd rivets make it cooler. It has a dignity in its imperfections because there is no attempt to hide them.

This is not an un-retouched photograph.. someone worked hard to get that feel and surface quality:

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
10,742 Posts
This is not an un-retouched photograph.. someone worked hard to get that feel and surface quality:
View attachment 986012

Bullshit! thats an HDR photo - a stitch of 5 to 9 frames taken at different exposures and layered to create that effect. Your whole premise is utter fluff. You can romanticize lazy craftsmanship and a half finished job if you want but perfection takes hard work, patience and skill, to me all of this patina crap is an unfinished half-assed job. An excuse for shitty work.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,867 Posts
The photo of the B17 is way more than a simple HDR photo. It’s a complete and total Photoshop fabrication. The real plane “looked” nothing like that photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
791 Posts
Bullshit! thats an HDR photo - a stitch of 5 to 9 frames taken at different exposures and layered to create that effect.

Your whole premise is utter fluff. You can romanticize lazy craftsmanship and a half finished job if you want but perfection takes hard work, patience and skill, to me all of this patina crap is an unfinished half-assed job. An excuse for shitty work.
Regarding the photo, Do you understand English? ..perhaps re-read my sentence.

Your whole post reflects the blinders you have put on regarding aesthetics, and apparently, logical discussion around this subject at least. It ironically places you directly in the same court as the Orange County Choppers clown show wherein only smooth, shiny bits, spit polished to concourse level aren't "lazy, half-finished, patina crap, half-assed jobs."

Anyone who's visually literate, understands craft, and has studied the careful visual arrangement and craft of Shinya's work can appreciate it as it is - even if they then would say they prefer a more polished design aesthetic. To call it lazy, though is just ignorant - there's a lot of work in metalsmithing like this, or even in his minimalist works. Sometimes, less really is more.

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
dude definitely has a muse
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/131022633" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">Shinya Kimura &quot;Form becomes Function&quot;</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user1202424">Nic Restrepo Sus</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
and rides his bikes in more than a straight line to Starbuck's. He reportedly did a Cannonball run on a 1916 something or other.

To me the idea that a guy can have a life and career building one-off bikes by hand, not just bolting up parts and calling it a "Build," is a total inspiration.

·
Bon Vivant
10,742 Posts
Why is it so important to convince me (or anyone else) - or is it just that you have to be right? I dont like what shinya does, I dont like that his bikes start to be works of art but stop short of a quality finish so as to achieve a level of grunge. I dont like OCC bikes or other choppers either but at least they do finish their work. You dont have to convince me and I really dont care what you think about it.

To me - this is art:

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all. This is stunning ....

...the bike’s all right too I guess, I mean how many 100 point restos does the world need?
I agree with both points of view, typical Canadian eh, lol.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all. This is stunning ....

...the bike’s all right too I guess, I mean how many 100 point restos does the world need?
I agree with both points of view, typical Canadian eh, lol.
Agreed. I love it. But if he damaged the original bike's parts, I'll be the first to sick the Italian grandmas with rolling pins on him.

8601 - 8620 of 8692 Posts