Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

8561 - 8580 of 8747 Posts

·
Administrator
12,249 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good lord I had to do several double takes to comprehend what was going on there.

Jessica took the Jeep out this weekend and I made my first attempt at a drone video.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Think how many times Ducati's been saved/sold. MV Agusta? HD's story's not done yet. At the time of Reagan's foreign bike tariff, Harleys were't popular - it was the Disco days when youngsters were especially vapid and dressed like Sundayschool idiots.. Not HD times, for sure. The AMF leveraged takeover didn't help, the Japanese bikes were well made & marketed, and super cheap when Japan was still a developing economy. Seasons change. I hope every bike marque does well. They are collectively our cultural legacy as well as different flavors of the life we call motorcycling.

BTW that narrator seems a little butt-hurt to be an objective reporter. Maybe he felt a little insecure in a HD setting at some point.. back on your scooter, boy!

·
Bon Vivant
10,749 Posts
Think how many times Ducati's been saved/sold. MV Agusta? HD's story's not done yet. At the time of Reagan's foreign bike tariff, Harleys were't popular - it was the Disco days when youngsters were especially vapid and dressed like Sundayschool idiots.. Not HD times, for sure. The AMF leveraged takeover didn't help, the Japanese bikes were well made & marketed, and super cheap when Japan was still a developing economy. Seasons change. I hope every bike marque does well. They are collectively our cultural legacy as well as different flavors of the life we call motorcycling.

BTW that narrator seems a little butt-hurt to be an objective reporter. Maybe he felt a little insecure in a HD setting at some point.. back on your scooter, boy!
like a murdering virus, denying it may manipulate some weak minds but it doesnt change the facts...

·
Registered
805 Posts
like a murdering virus, denying it may manipulate some weak minds but it doesnt change the facts...
Like your polyester disco suit when you were a kid, motorcycling is in large part not a rational pursuit. The bike manufacturer ecosystem of the 60's and 70's was really happening, from nicest people Hondas to widow maker Kawis, a multitude of Britbikes, Spanish bikes, Bevels, Moto Morinis, Benellis, Cagivas, Münch FFS! The space was alive!

By comparison, the early 80's disco slickness was not a time for the HD vibe, the same as the 200+ HP plastic-wrapped Hyperbike vibe appears to be waning as we dinosaurs watch. For everything there is a time. HD is in a hard place. If Audi tires of its toy, will Ducati be next to feel the squeeze if racing budgets get slashed and podium finishes disappear? Sure, we love em, and that's all that matters. Same for HD. Its not about facts.

Shinya Kimura's rebirth of a stone-age 1914 Excelsior engine:

Great showcase for Kimura's amazing masterworks

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
A good video by fortnine on the future and past of HD
Interesting video, but I disagree with two main tenets of his analysis:
  • Buying back your own stock isn't necessarily an evil thing designed to boost EPS, it actually protects their shareholder value
  • He ends by stating Harley should not even attempt to attract new riders w/ new products and marketing b/c of some shit they pulled w/ tariffs in the early 80, that's stupid. I don't even know how they correlate
I have no vested interest in HD, but he certainly seems like he has an axe to grind

8561 - 8580 of 8747 Posts