Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need pics of the internals of a surflex slipper [part of a little project I'm working on]

I searched the old gallery [I know there were some pics there..] with no luck.

As many, and as detailed as possible....if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks vduc. I thought they were yours, but just couldn't seem to find them and I didn't want to scroll back through endless pages.
I built a dry clutch conversion kit for wet clutch supersports [sent one down to Donnie Unger at Ducpond for testing] I am almost done converting a slipper using a yoyodyne unit. I'm thinking I should work on a surflex too.
I just wanted to look at the unit a bit, to get things going in my head. I may end up just buying one if I decide to pursue it, as it requires a fair bit of measuring to determine the extent of machinework involved.

I like the look of the internals, especially the hubnut configuration. Does the hub sit on the stock spacer [at the primary gear] or does surflex supply one of a different length. Do you have any other shots of the "allen" hub nut and washer, or shots of each individual component [I know I'm reaching here...]? You already have a great bunch of photos, and they have already given me some things to ponder.
I'd love to get my hands on one of these units.

You don't have a spare one lying around, do you? ;)

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Actually I have the unit out of the 749. I was planning on selling the 749 and was going to put it into my Multistrada. The dry clutch conversion though sound interesting since I have a `93 750ss with a wet clutch too. CMRA has added a clubman class and I was thinking about pulling the bike out of moth balls to race it again, and dry slipper clutch would kick butt.

I'll pull the clutch today to take some more pictures. Maybe we can work some thing out...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
converting your 750 clutch will certainly be a different animal, as I think yours doesn't operate on a clutch pushrod/ left side slave..[does it?]

I'm not familiar with the '93 SS, but that doesn't mean it can't be figured out.

The std. conversion I did was on a '99 motor, which has a "new style" [for lack of a better term] clutch hub and pressure plate [pre-'99 had a different config.]
I'm pretty sure the conversion will work on many of the pre-'99's by changing to the newer hub and P.plate [after the machine work has been done to them],or in another case, a "worked on" slipper unit.

Your early cases may not be suitable [no bore for pushrod, etc.]......I honestly don't know. I'd imagine they are pretty different than the later cases. I'd have to see one of those bikes to get a better picture. Or ask one of the Guru's a lot of questions.

I also need to give props and credit to Stuart at www.flightcycles.com
He is a whiz, and provided a ton of info. [he converted his monster first]

I have just refined it a bit [and started the slipper conversion process]

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
You're right, I didn't even think about that. The slave is over the clutch on the right side.

I didn't get to take any pics today. I was at the bike shop most of the day getting my STM slipper clutch installed on my Aprilia RSV, can't wait to try it out...I'll have to wait a while since it's not street legal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts