Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been quietly looking around the Monster section for a few months trying to convince myself that I need a commuter bike. I have a 998 but I don't really want to use that for commuting. In any case, I'm picking up a Monster this weekend from Arizona (I live in San Jose, CA) and riding it back on Sunday.

I'm pretty pumped about it but it's going to be a long and boring ride back. Does anyone have any interesting Monster "tips or quirks" that I should be aware of? I'm hoping for a nice, easy, uneventful ride back but I plan on stopping here and there and riding around the LA area as well. I'll take some pictures as I go along so I hope I see something more interesting than flat lands.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to gettig it and then being more active in this forum.

Have a fun, safe weekend everyone.

Aleks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm picking up a 2000 Monster 900. I wanted a Yellow one but this one is red with about 5300 miles and it looks pretty clean. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out well and I have a fun trip back.

I have a feeling it won't be all that comfortable though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducman851 said:
Remember, lift with your legs :D

Enjoy!!
Just remember that modding is an incureable disease.
Hahaha... okay so I'm slow. It took me a few seconds to get that one....lift with your legs he says... How about "I'm taking delivery on a used Monster"? With regards to the modding, I hear ya. I don't want to buy anything for the bike but I never buy a bike and do nothing to it. There's always something and I think there are so many things to do to a Monster that I'll be infected quickly. I'm already looking at what people have done to theirs.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
streetsquid said:
Hahaha... okay so I'm slow. It took me a few seconds to get that one....lift with your legs he says... How about "I'm taking delivery on a used Monster"? With regards to the modding, I hear ya. I don't want to buy anything for the bike but I never buy a bike and do nothing to it. There's always something and I think there are so many things to do to a Monster that I'll be infected quickly. I'm already looking at what people have done to theirs.

Congratulations on the new to you monster. There are plenty you can mod on the monster. Be sure to stay away from the carbon fiber, it doesn't hold up to well when it comes in contact with anything solid!;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Good luck w/ your new monster. Keep us posted and upload some pics when you find the opportunity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aleks,

You probably don't need the advice, but I was gonna suggest doing a very careful "preflight" and systematically checking everything you can think of before starting out. But, I see that your ride was yesterday! Hope you had a good trip.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone,

I made it back home and the Monster performed FLAWLESSLY the entire trip. I did a quick pre-flight check while I was out in Arizona and everything I looked at appeared to be in top shape. I'm actually surprised at how fun (for a mostly boring route) the ride was overall.

I left Phoenix at 7am on Sunday and went across 10 and got a room in Pasadena. I got a room at a Super 8 and then hung out with friends at the Yardhouse (i didn't ride there) for drinks. I slept fairly well that night and headed out around 8am on Monday morning.

The trip was nice and uneventful which was good. However....on the way in to work this morning I was introduced to Ducati ownership. The nut that holds the bolt for the shift rod and shift lever backed out and the two seperated. I went to shift and all of a sudden I couldn't even find the shifter. It was amusing but I was less than a mile from home so I limped back (in 3rd) and after 20 minutes I found a bolt and nut that would fit. Once I reattached the rod and shift lever I was on my way to work.

I'm glad it happened this morning and not during the trip but that didn't change anything for me. I LOVE THIS BIKE! It doesn't have the "full bodied sound" that my 998 has but it's a much better commuter and it feels more agile and quick steering - which I like. The biggest PLUS for me is that I can put both feet on the ground (I'm vertically challenged).

I took some pics at home and I'll post them when I get back home but here is a picture of the bike I got from the P.O.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ducman851 said:
Just havin fun :D

How much you wanna spend?

That is too sweet it gives me cavities just looking at it....and I hope I don't spend anywhere as much on mine. I *want* it to by my commuter bike and leave it at that. But you know how that goes....

·
Registered
105 Posts
streetsquid said:
That is too sweet it gives me cavities just looking at it....and I hope I don't spend anywhere as much on mine. I *want* it to by my commuter bike and leave it at that. But you know how that goes....
Much luck with that. Even my commuter bike (an 01 M900) hasnt escaped the Mod Fairy. Its got an STM slipper, High Mount Arrows, DP Rearsets, FIM Reflashed ECU, Open Airbox. Well you get the idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations, glad you had a good ride home.

Monster ownership is a blast, I've had my little frustrations with the bike, but they are outnumbered hundreds of times over with the fun I've had with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad you made it home!! Check for oil leaks at this point. No joke. I had mine for a week and noticed oil on the frame on the left side of the bike. Tightened some stuff down and have not had a problem since. Just hated seeing that oil everywhere.

You must have had to make many gas stops. That is my one and only complaint about our bikes. Small tank!!! Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, it was definitely a fun trip. Now I just have to deal with CA DMV and get it registered here. It shouldn't be a problem but I've run into issues before with the local DMV office. Since all Ducati bikes are CA emissions legal I should be good to go....but I just hate going there.

Hmm... I *did* see an oil spot or something like that near where the bike was parked but it didn't look like it came from the bike as it was in an odd spot. I will be washing her tonight and rechecking what I can.

Let the fun begin!!! <throws wallet in other room to save myself>

·
Registered
923 Posts
streetsquid said:
However....on the way in to work this morning I was introduced to Ducati ownership. The nut that holds the bolt for the shift rod and shift lever backed out and the two seperated. I went to shift and all of a sudden I couldn't even find the shifter.
A little blue LocTite will help that - just make sure to only get it on the threads. I had a similar thing happen to me - except it was the pivot bolt that backed out, in a corner, exiting a traffic circle. 3rd gear topped out, looking for fourth and ... swish ... airball! I'm thinking WTF?! in my helmet. Somehow, luckily, I didn't actually lose any pieces on the roadway, so I put it all back together and carried on until I hit a parts store for some LocTite ... :)

Glad to hear it was a good trip all in all; sounds like a blast! :) Congrats on the new ride, too. Looks awesome!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsquid
However....on the way in to work this morning I was introduced to Ducati ownership. The nut that holds the bolt for the shift rod and shift lever backed out and the two seperated. I went to shift and all of a sudden I couldn't even find the shifter.
fasterdammit said:
A little blue LocTite will help that - just make sure to only get it on the threads. I had a similar thing happen to me - except it was the pivot bolt that backed out, in a corner, exiting a traffic circle. 3rd gear topped out, looking for fourth and ... swish ... airball! I'm thinking WTF?! in my helmet. Somehow, luckily, I didn't actually lose any pieces on the roadway, so I put it all back together and carried on until I hit a parts store for some LocTite ... :)

Glad to hear it was a good trip all in all; sounds like a blast! :) Congrats on the new ride, too. Looks awesome!
Sadly what you both describe isnt a Ducati trait, its a trait of $10/hr setup people at the dealership. The idea is to just move em out the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts