Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Good to know on the belts. We will just go ahead and do them while we're in there, not worth the risk.

Any recommended threads/guides/kits for stud replacement? I wasn't planning on taking the heads off, can it be done with them on?
There is a bunch of threads here about replacing the studs - just search 'replacing studs'. It's a popular subject... :rolleyes: But it's also one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" cases, because it's a curse of a job to do.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/647457-dreaded-early-900ss-head-bolt-breakage.html

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/609769-part-out-fix-4.html#post6063073 - has links to 3 other threads on replacing studs.

One of the things to check with the studs is whether they have a letter stamped on the end - my OEM (now replaced) studs had a 'M' (or a 'W' depending on orientation) stamped on them.

One consideration for your front end upgrades - a heavier linear spring will make the front of the bike ride significantly higher, which will make it steer like a barge... The cheap fix is a SSie rear shock, which is a bit longer than the carbie one - or else the afore mentioned Ohlins (which has a ride height adjuster), or any other ride height adjustable unit, to raise the rear height, and bring the turn-in back to what it should be.

One thing you may want to consider is upgrading the silly filament dash lights to LED - so you can see them in the daylight... This thread will help - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/482265-wanted-led-bulb-list-95-900ss.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
There is a bunch of threads here about replacing the studs - just search 'replacing studs'. It's a popular subject... :rolleyes: But it's also one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" cases, because it's a curse of a job to do.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/647457-dreaded-early-900ss-head-bolt-breakage.html

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/609769-part-out-fix-4.html#post6063073 - has links to 3 other threads on replacing studs.

One of the things to check with the studs is whether they have a letter stamped on the end - my OEM (now replaced) studs had a 'M' (or a 'W' depending on orientation) stamped on them.

One consideration for your front end upgrades - a heavier linear spring will make the front of the bike ride significantly higher, which will make it steer like a barge... The cheap fix is a SSie rear shock, which is a bit longer than the carbie one - or else the afore mentioned Ohlins (which has a ride height adjuster), or any other ride height adjustable unit, to raise the rear height, and bring the turn-in back to what it should be.

One thing you may want to consider is upgrading the silly filament dash lights to LED - so you can see them in the daylight... This thread will help - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/482265-wanted-led-bulb-list-95-900ss.html
We will check the studs, but I'm not in a huge rush on it. If I don't have to remove the heads I'm not going to. Thanks for the links, I will definitely check out the LED dash upgrades.

As for work on the bike; We pretty much have the shop completely re-done. I've started working on restoring the carbon fiber cans because I have the materials on hand already to do that. I cracked the lid on the carbs and immediately closed them back up. I'll need new diaphragms for both carbs unfortunately, along with complete gasket rebuild kits. It was expected, but it's still disappointing.

I expect we'll be stalled out for a bit on the 900 while we wait for funds. We're still waiting on the car to sell. In the mean time, we've just been cleaning it repeatedly. Some parts of the bike are just caked in grime and grease that's been there for years it seems. We'll get there eventually, we're focusing more on a resto and less on mods for the most part.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Some progress

Ok, so I've gotten a few things done. The shop is finally usable again. We had just remodeled our living room and it was an absolute disaster. My daily now has a nice spot and the 900 is enshrined in it's own little maintenance spot right beside the beer tap!

As far as bike progress I finished restoring one of the carbon fiber cans. I went with a satin finish exhaust clear coat, I like the finish a lot more in person than on camera. I though I would share some pics. I wasn't super concerned about the banding since the can will go back in the same spot.

In other news I raided the couch cushions and full gasket kits and new diaphragms for the carbs have been ordered. When they show up I'll clean & rebuild the carbs. Then I'll probably fit them and rig up an aux tank for a test fire. I haven't gotten a straight answer on when he last cranked and ran it. We'll see how it goes and I'll shoot some video!

·
Registered
415 Posts
This all looks GREAT mate. Youll probably get back to putting the carbs on before I do......if you could post some pics of the hose setup that would be a great service to the 900ss carby community. I don't know why, but I haven't been able to find a single diagram that shows every hose in and out of the carbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The cans look good. What prep did you do to them before painting? What brand of paint and where did you pick it up? Much thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The cans look good. What prep did you do to them before painting? What brand of paint and where did you pick it up? Much thanks.
So, work on the cans is as follows:
  • De grease and clean
  • Sand down can with 400 grit sandpaper - focus on any pitting or blems, but make absolutely sure not to penetrate the clearcoat
  • Filled pitting with Duralco™ 4460 epoxy
  • Sand epoxied area's until they match with the surrounding clearcoat (ie are smooth and indistinguishable when running your hand over it)

Code:
    Repeat 4-5x:
    Clean any dust/residue
    Spray with high temp clear coat - light coat
    Bake on per instructions
    Sand with 1200-1500 grit in between coats to remove any pooling or runs
    Return to repeat
  • Finishing sand with 1200 grit then 1500 grit
  • Use a buffer and rubbing compound to remove any fine scratches and marks left by sanding
  • Use polishing compound to finish the can off
  • wipe any lasting residue off and you're done!
Install cans!

The clearcoat I'm using is the high temp satin finish from Autozone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Carb parts are here

The carb parts showed up today. I'm going to start working on them tonight. I'm more excited than I expected to be honestly.

The wife has Ok'd a number of future projects and plans involving Ducati's, but I'm not sure if I want to delve into all of those plans just yet. I just wanted to take a moment and mention her impact on this project.

I was not a Ducati fan before I bought my multi, I wanted a Triumph Tiger. She talked me into the multi and after riding the bike, I can honestly say I'm a fan. I've ridden this 900 before but never as my own bike. Having put a few thousand miles down on the Multi I'm sold. I've ridden every make of bike from Aprilia to Yamaha and the Multi just puts this stupid grin on my face I can't explain. My wife and I are in agreement that we need more of that in our lives.

I'm off to help my wonderful wife dye her hair blue now...:nerd:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Not dead yet

I'm not dead yet and neither is the build. It has not been a pleasant couple weeks. My wife and I both got the flu and then I broke a wisdom tooth which I'm still recovering from. However, Nyquil is amazing and should be used more responsibly... I have all the front end suspension parts ordered and on their way.

My wife and I have an agreement that we are not half-assing anything on this project. So as a result things are taking a little longer. I don't really go out to the shop unless I'm willing to put in the effort and take my time.

Carbs are being rebuilt this weekend. I chose to go all the way and have ordered a synchronization tool and stripped the carbs entirely. I'll return everything to the same measurements from before I disassembled it and tune it from there. The carbs were in worse shape than I expected. I think it's likely I was the last person to rebuild them almost a decade ago...

So here's a couple shots of the progress:

Nasty dirty road grime all over them.

Debris in the bowl, this concerns me more than a little bit.

Dirty on the left clean on the right.

I do need a hand finding a gasket. There are little rubber gaskets that fit in between a plastic shared rail. It's the rail that holds the retainer for the floats. They are completely and totally shot.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I do need a hand finding a gasket. There are little rubber gaskets that fit in between a plastic shared rail. It's the rail that holds the retainer for the floats. They are completely and totally shot.
Suzuki part #13673-44B00. Used on almost all the old carbureted GSXRs. I have one so I had a complete set on hand for rebuilding the rack of 4 on it. You can still get them from Suzuki or you can try Ron Ayer's online. Not sure who was more expensive though. They were around $3 each IIRC but that was a while back.......sean

edited to add: I just remembered...my local Suzuki shop would not sell me just the 4 that I needed. They would only order them in a box of 10 so I got 10 rather than just the 4 I needed. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably just measure the o-ring and see if I could find one elsewhere. Honestly, it should cost around 10 cents rather than $3.

·
Registered
123 Posts
to be clear, the lower T fitting between carbs is called the fuel rail or fuel inlet rail. Their seals are barrel shaped....the Suzuki part # Iwannaduc posted is correct. Yamaha used them too....but more $$$.

Pic shows why they should be replaced. Yup, thats them under all that poop.

2 traditional orings are used on the upper (vent) rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Suzuki part #13673-44B00. Used on almost all the old carbureted GSXRs. I have one so I had a complete set on hand for rebuilding the rack of 4 on it. You can still get them from Suzuki or you can try Ron Ayer's online. Not sure who was more expensive though. They were around $3 each IIRC but that was a while back.......sean

edited to add: I just remembered...my local Suzuki shop would not sell me just the 4 that I needed. They would only order them in a box of 10 so I got 10 rather than just the 4 I needed. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably just measure the o-ring and see if I could find one elsewhere. Honestly, it should cost around 10 cents rather than $3.
Fantastic, parts are ordered! Found some on Fleabay for under $10 shipped. That saved me a couple hours of research, thank you very much!

to be clear, the lower T fitting between carbs is called the fuel rail or fuel inlet rail. Their seals are barrel shaped....the Suzuki part # Iwannaduc posted is correct. Yamaha used them too....but more $$$.

Pic shows why they should be replaced. Yup, thats them under all that poop.

2 traditional orings are used on the upper (vent) rail.
Mine were also cruddy like that, but they just completely disintegrated when I tried to remove them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Coincidentally, ran across same just this morning on a spare SS carbset in my possession ....hardened and cracked rail seals

I believe those seals I pictured were original mid 90's. Fully justifies splitting and replacing, left undone downright dangerous. If never been done...these now 25 year old carbs require FULL servicing, replacement of all consumables.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Coincidentally, ran across same just this morning on a spare SS carbset in my possession ....hardened and cracked rail seals

I believe those seals I pictured were original mid 90's. Fully justifies splitting and replacing, left undone downright dangerous. If never been done...these now 25 year old carbs require FULL servicing, replacement of all consumables.
Yeah, I completely agree and am rebuilding them completely.

In other news I assembled an engine hoist I bought 5+ years ago and never put together. I'll be using that to remove the rear swingarm and pick the front end up to do the forks. We picked up some fork oil today as well. I still need to order fork seals but that's the only part we're missing to completely rebuild the forks with new springs and gold valves.

The list is getting shorter, off the top of my head:
Tires
Brakes - I will probably rebuild the calipers, but that will wait until it's running and rideable. I'll just flush and bleed them for now.
SS Brake lines
Belts
Valve job (will do when I do the belts.
Clutch plates
Possibly a slave cylinder, if so should I go aftermarket? I've heard these are temperamental on this bike.
Seat refurb
Finish exhaust refurb
Fairing & tank paint touch up
Possibly a new fuel sock in the tank
chain & sprockets
remove, inspect swingarm & re-grease
Plugs
Some hoses
more cleanup of the frame & motor

Now that I've typed it out it feels like a lot more to do!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
We finished the second of the carbon fiber pipes and recorded a how to in case anyone else would like to do the same. We used to part bikes out under the breakneck moto monniker and thought it would be cool to do some informational videos. Check it out!

In other news everything but the springs have shown up for the front forks. Those should be here tomorrow so we will try and tackle those this week. I can't wait to get those gold valves in!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the vid. 2 gold stars for you! And a pint of beer if you are in the San Diego area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks for the vid. 2 gold stars for you! And a pint of beer if you are in the San Diego area.
I'm a bit further north up in San Luis Obispo. Thanks for the feedback! We'll have another video out later this week, probably part 1 of the front suspension refresh.

Quick question since I'm sure someone knows this. Where can I get new steering bearings? We'd like to pull and replace those as part of the front end rebuild.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm a bit further north up in San Luis Obispo. Thanks for the feedback! We'll have another video out later this week, probably part 1 of the front suspension refresh.

Quick question since I'm sure someone knows this. Where can I get new steering bearings? We'd like to pull and replace those as part of the front end rebuild.
I'm sure any good bearing house would have them, just get the exact number on the bearings and call your local bearing house if they dont have them in stock they can probably get them in within 2 days--Stick with a good quality bearing-yes pay the extra $$$--go with Timken, SKF, F.A.G. they are all good quality--If they are Chinese bearings run the hell away

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looks like readily available from All Balls Racing.
I will check them out, thanks!

I'm sure any good bearing house would have them, just get the exact number on the bearings and call your local bearing house if they dont have them in stock they can probably get them in within 2 days--Stick with a good quality bearing-yes pay the extra $$$--go with Timken, SKF, F.A.G. they are all good quality--If they are Chinese bearings run the hell away
Definitely no Chinese bearings! I don't cheap out on hard parts, brakes or suspension haha. I usually aim to get the highest quality parts I can and just save money by fixing or repairing anything that's salvageable. Elbow grease is cheap! :wink2::grin2::wink2:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts