Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently had a longtime friend decide to sell me his 900SS for a song. I have a bit of history with this bike as I've done some routine maintenance on it for him. He's always kept it garaged and clean, but it has sat for quite a long time. It needs some work, and a good cleaning. I just joined the Ducati family back in October after riding for 20+ years and am looking forward to taking this on as a bit of a resto project. My wife is an absolutely rabid Ducati nut and also my right hand in the shop. She's already shopping for parts and the few tools we don't have.

So far my known issues are:
Fork seals are shot
Clutch needs to be replaced
Belts need to be replaced
It should probably get a valve job
Complete fluid flush
New tires
Anything else I find
Tank will need to be flushed
Carbs may need to be rebuilt (he said he drained them)
Seat is completely thrashed
Preventative headlight re-wiring (from what I'm reading here)

Cosmetically I think it's a solid 6, but I remember a damaged windscreen and a small crack on the tail fairing. I'm not in any rush and will be slowly restoring it and riding alongside my Multi with the wife. I've been reading about the issues that are common and will keep an eye out once it's in my shop.

Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated! we'll try to remember and take pictures.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Congrats and good luck with it. You might want to consider an upgrade on the starter and battery wires to help cranking. Be careful not to turn the starter post and damage it. Clean all the electrical connectors and grounds ( one is by the brake pedal ) . Idle circuit in the carbs is prone to plugging, so if it runs use some carb cleaner on it.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Congrats, and good luck with it!

Depending on how long it sat, you could have more than just the fork seals to need replacing. You won't know until you start exercising everything that has sat unmoving, unlubricated and stiffened up. Fork seals, clutch slave seal. clutch/brake master seals some to mind. I wouldn't hurt to give the wheel bearings a look, just in case, and give the steering head bearings a check for looseness or ratcheting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats. Hope its on the road and up the 1 soon.

I'd recommend digging into the carbs. A rebuild kit with various o-rings and gaskets is readily available but the BDST38 diaphragms seem to be harder to come by. I believe emulsion tubes and needles also wear out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just sold mine and before I take the money I'm having the carbs redone. Means taking them off and shipping them as I'm not going to attempt it here. Took an alarm clock apart once as still remember springs and gears going everywhere. I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats. Hope its on the road and up the 1 soon.

I'd recommend digging into the carbs. A rebuild kit with various o-rings and gaskets is readily available but the BDST38 diaphragms seem to be harder to come by. I believe emulsion tubes and needles also wear out.
I think he had them rebuilt not long before it was parked so I'm hoping they won't be to bad.

Just sold mine and before I take the money I'm having the carbs redone. Means taking them off and shipping them as I'm not going to attempt it here. Took an alarm clock apart once as still remember springs and gears going everywhere. I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!

Haha, I know how that is. Rebuilding the carbs shouldn't be an issue. Good to know if something is up I can have them serviced though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!
You will not be disappointed with custom carb services. He did up my carbs for my project bike and they look brand new now. If you saw what they looked like when he received them compared to what I got back, you'd think a minor miracle had ocurred....sean

·
Registered
143 Posts
Carb diaphragms are available new from dellortoshop.com in the Netherlands. They ship everywhere. If the original parts are in any way stiff, or difficult to keep in place when you put the plastic lids on them, get some new ones. My stock carbs didn't work right until I did. Of course a year later I got some FCRs anyway....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And...........let the peer pressure begin..........>:)
Oh god I forgot about the farkles. I haven't done much with bikes over the last 5 years, I got hit on my Concours and took a break for 3-4 years after. The multi doesn't need anything but basic maintenance yet. Feels good to have a project, but I'm thinking I might try to keep the bike mostly stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have any experience re-springing the bike for heavier riders? I'm about 240lbs and my wife is 150ish, I'm concerned I may be a bit to heavy for the stock springs riding 2 up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's got stock fork springs they will be waayyy too soft. They're soft for a 160lbs rider.

I'd consult the race tech website and their spring calculator, they'll sell you some new springs as well.

The rear is too hard for most people, not sure how it would fare with you though.

Anyways once you change those fork springs of course now it'll be underdamped... And so it begins

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's got stock fork springs they will be waayyy too soft. They're soft for a 160lbs rider.

I'd consult the race tech website and their spring calculator, they'll sell you some new springs as well.

The rear is too hard for most people, not sure how it would fare with you though.

Anyways once you change those fork springs of course now it'll be underdamped... And so it begins
Ain't that the truth. Know if anybody has played with swapping out the rear shock or sending it in for a rebuild? I'm open to options haha.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Both Penske and Ohlins make shocks for the SS. I sent my Showa shock to Cogent Dynamics and had Rick rebuild it with better internals, an adjustable length shaft and sprung for my weight. Cheaper than the high end replacements with the same performance. Looks stock except for a red spring. He rebuilt my Showa forks with his own cartridge internals as well.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The joke back in the day was the bike was set up for a 100lb guy with his 300lb wife on the back.

Front springs are too soft and progressive, front high speed compression valves are too restrictive.

Rear shock if showa has a crap restrictive valve.
Rear shock if a sachs/boge is very good\
Rear springs on both are progressive.

The sachs rear shock is better than the showa in every way except you can not get replacement parts, it can be freshened.
The showa takes a large diameter spring which race tech sells, sachs use ohlins or penske.

By the time you revalve and spring the stock showa you will have about $300 in parts plus labor. If you buy a used Ohlins/penske you will have a better design and spare parts availability plus resale of the same as what you spent. If you want original look then revalve the showa, best bang for the buck is the sach's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Post pics or it didn't happen.
Hold my beer!

She's finally home! She's been sitting and really needs to be cleaned up so I can assess the situation. Forks are definitely shot. No clue what the cans are and he didn't remember. I'm supposed to be getting more info at work tomorrow. For $800 I'll take it.

Did I get the pic resize right? I have a very large display and it can be challenging when re-sizing pics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know what cans those are? There's no markings and I don't know enough about the bike to tell if it's a full system or just cans.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts