Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 17 years of road riding, track days and much more powerful bikes, I had a nasty tank slap on a bad road at about 90kmh and was tossed off and busted my collar bone, a rib and got some road rash between my Dainese jacket and jeans. Thankful I had on a proper jacket, boots,gloves and helmet. I'm in a lot of pain and as a competitive road cyclist (master a) as well as an enthusiast car racer, I have ruined a good portion of my summer. :(
Bike is not too bad; right side needs a few parts but all in all not so bad.
Was loving the bike right up until it tried to kill me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It must have been something you said for her to toss you off like that :)
Hope you heal fast so that the whole summer is not shot sitting out poolside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was probably because I was riding with a buddy with a Victory eight ball. The duc could not stand riding with a Harley wannabe and tried to off us both!
I guess the flat black IS evil!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad luck, thankfully you were geared for it:D

It happens though, new bikes always take a little getting used to and it's not just the horsepower......puny bikes can hurt ya too!

Heal fast, and get your parts ordered right away.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Heal fast brother.. i am also recovering from a painful low side that i had in March on my 1098F, when i broke my leg in two places, with no road rash thanks God!!

The bike is all fixed up and i had a first (after crash) ride last Saturday. Enjoyed every minute of it!

God bless Alpinestars, Dainese, Rev'it, Arai, Teknic, and everything else that saves our asses when we get on the wrong end of it!

Amen!

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Sorry to hear this Chris. Steering dampener once you are ready to ride again! I just about binned my new then ZX-7 the day I got it doing the freakiest tank slapper.

·
Registered
223 Posts
could you describe more as of the conditions of the tank slap.. if you remember..

I feel it quite planted at any speed and until now don't see the need for a damper.. even in cross winds and on/off cross winds I find it very stable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bummer!! I bet you were more concerned about the bike than yourself when you put it down. Glad you were able to walk away from it. Heal up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
does the 848 have a damper.
this is one of the reasons alot of us have thrown away the standard damper and got better ones, much more stable.
when work calms down i'll find out about getting a better bracket made up, will see if we can do a big group buy or something.

sorry to have gone off topic. sorry to hear of ya bin, heal fast :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
does the 848 have a damper.
this is one of the reasons alot of us have thrown away the standard damper and got better ones, much more stable.
Nope, no damper on the SF848. Guess this an example of when even the stock damper would've helped.

OP, did you have DTC on at all?

·
1,766 Posts
Nope, no damper on the SF848. Guess this an example of when even the stock damper would've helped.

OP, did you have DTC on at all?
I don't see any possible scenario when DTC would help to reduce or to avoid a tank slapper. His bike should be equipped with a steering dumper. Too bad 848 doesn't come with one. What a real commuter bike!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't see any possible scenario when DTC would help to reduce or to avoid a tank slapper. His bike should be equipped with a steering dumper. Too bad 848 doesn't come with one. What a real commuter bike!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I don't think it would, I was curious, however. The more I learn about DTC I realize it is a very limited system compared to some other manufacturers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's terrible. Hope you heal fast. I also hope we don't see a bunch more of these - didn't know the 848 doesn't come with a damper. Maybe it needs one?

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Geeze sorry to hear that...
Our riding season is short enuff as it is , heal fast and well...

Hope the insurance pays up...

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Glad you are - Healing ! Ride on !!

·
Registered
702 Posts
So after 17 years of road riding, track days and much more powerful bikes, I had a nasty tank slap on a bad road at about 90kmh and was tossed off and busted my collar bone, a rib and got some road rash between my Dainese jacket and jeans. Thankful I had on a proper jacket, boots,gloves and helmet. I'm in a lot of pain and as a competitive road cyclist (master a) as well as an enthusiast car racer, I have ruined a good portion of my summer. :(
Bike is not too bad; right side needs a few parts but all in all not so bad.
Was loving the bike right up until it tried to kill me!
Busted my collarbone in 2 places end of last summer on some stupid gravel.... Needless to say don't get surgery unless you absolutely have to.
I'm glad that I did but the recovery is long... You will have full mobility and strength within 8 weeks and the pain will get manageable after just a few days but you'll still feel pressure pain months after. I'm still hoping that it'll go away... 10months later and I'm still pretty screwed (8 to be precise).

Good luck with the recovery and fixing up the bike.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
could you describe more as of the conditions of the tank slap.. if you remember..

I feel it quite planted at any speed and until now don't see the need for a damper.. even in cross winds and on/off cross winds I find it very stable.
If you meant me... well that was back in '89 so I will describe it as best as I can. I was transitioning from an exit that was going downhill that joined the streetwhich went uphill. I had crappy body position and whacked the throtle in first over some somewhat uneven pavement and around 50mph it went for shit. Hands came off the barsafter just a few oscillations and luckily it didn't toss me. Never happened again. The bike usually felt very well planted. the combination of the uneven surface, the unweighted front wheel, a very slight turn. and lack of a steering dampener all lead to the near miss.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts