Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I just upgraded my 2010 Multi 1200 S with a new 2018 1260 S Touring ... wow ... nice difference. a little less "beast mode" (I have the termi full exhaust and rDP race ECU, along with the Ohlins SCU) ... and the new 1260 is so much more civil. I am going to like it a lot for the long road trips ahead, as it seems it will not be so agro as my 2010.

so, here is a question for the multi collective ... is it possible to pair apple Powerbeat 3 bluetooth wireless headphones with the bluetooth on the newer Multis? I already paired my iPhone ... easy peasy ... but cannot figure out how to pair the Powerbeat 3s. I will RTFM this evening, but thought I would ask, as sometimes there are secrets not in the manual.

ciao,
John

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the 1260 club! I'm loving mine previously had a 2012 1200S, definitely a more civilized ride. I'm about to ride my 1260 on a 5k mile trip to Colorado, Utah, etc..

Post a pic of the new machine

Cheers

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I don't bother to try to connect to the bike, except for the Link App. I have it set to off for media and contacts. I then just listen to my music, etc. through my phone. I can't see the point in having the bike as a middleman. Maybe there are benefits I don't understand?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't bother to try to connect to the bike, except for the Link App. I have it set to off for media and contacts. I then just listen to my music, etc. through my phone. I can't see the point in having the bike as a middleman. Maybe there are benefits I don't understand?
firstly, really like your avatar "I am the liquor" ... ;-) I should change my avatar to Bubbles, eh.

secondly, I might be asking you questions on the Ducati Link app (like, how the hell does one change the measuring units from Kilometers to Miles?).

I RTFM'ed, and found out how to get the Powerbeats paired to the bike ... but found out that the volume control through the bike controls does not work ... so, I'll end up getting a Schuberth SRC again, and pairing that to the bike for music, phone and GPS use.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no doubt its more civil, but once run in I would be surprised if it was actually slower ???
in my observational comment, I was not implying that the 1260 is going to be any slower than my 2010 1200 ... I believe it will end up being faster/quicker overall, after break-in period is done. what I was referring to was the delivery of power, the suspension feel, and the controls of the 1260 vs. the 1200. I liken it to the differences between my old first gen 1100 hypermotard and the second gen hypermotards. the first gen was IMHO, a much more "rough" hooligan bike, in its power delivery ... and, again, IMHO, a more fun bike to terrorize the local mountain roads with ;-)

the older I get, the more I realize pretty much every bike has its pros and cons ... and they are all to be enjoyed/suffered ;-)

really glad I upgraded ... this one is gonna get some serious miles on her over the next few years.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. One of the first things I noticed about the 1260, is how linear the power delivery is. It's not like a traditional Ducati L-twin at all, there is no sudden surge of acceleration around 6-7k RPM, it's there from about 3k RPM onward. This can make a vehicle feel slow, because humans are better at discerning accelerative rate of change, rather than raw acceleration. It's deceptive, and dangerous if you're not prepared for it.

The DMS (Ducati Multimedia System) is something people have different degrees of success with, depending on their equipment. I know Apple at one point had an issue where they tweaked the Bluetooth profile of some of their stuff; it made pairing apple to apple easier, but wasn't technically 100% compliant with Bluetooth specs. Dunno if they still do stuff like that, the example I'm thinking of was close to a decade ago. If they are, it could cause problems.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats!

How many miles were on your 2010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up my 2010 1200 S touring in 2013 with 406 miles on it ... and it now has just under 47,000 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The guy that plays Mr. Lahey is the best drunk actor ever in my opinion!

Currently, the Link App does not show Miles, only Kilometers; they tell me that functionality is coming soon.

Yeah, I don't know if the 1260 is faster or not (I'd be surprised if it was, because it is also noticeably heavier than my single spark was), but it is definitely calmer.

It does not have the crazy feel of the single sparks. There are also no accidental wheelies like I had with the single spark (and yes I have all the aides shut off in sport mode). If you want a wheelie, you have to really work for it.

So, in one way, it is less fun, not nearly the hooligan bike the single spark is.

All the advantages are in refinement. It is smoother, you can put larger enduro bags on it, you don't need to mess with Tuneboy to get a decent map and cruise control, you don't need to get a new windscreen immediately, etc. So, I do miss my single spark sometimes, but the reality is I don't do a lot of hooliganism, I'm more of a touring rider. And it's still more exciting than an R1200RT!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agree eleventy billion percent with your assessment/comments ... with exception of the 1260 not being a wheelie machine. to that, I say ""hold my beer ... watch this"!

;-)

The guy that plays Mr. Lahey is the best drunk actor ever in my opinion!

Currently, the Link App does not show Miles, only Kilometers; they tell me that functionality is coming soon.

Yeah, I don't know if the 1260 is faster or not (I'd be surprised if it was, because it is also noticeably heavier than my single spark was), but it is definitely calmer.

It does not have the crazy feel of the single sparks. There are also no accidental wheelies like I had with the single spark (and yes I have all the aides shut off in sport mode). If you want a wheelie, you have to really work for it.

So, in one way, it is less fun, not nearly the hooligan bike the single spark is.

All the advantages are in refinement. It is smoother, you can put larger enduro bags on it, you don't need to mess with Tuneboy to get a decent map and cruise control, you don't need to get a new windscreen immediately, etc. So, I do miss my single spark sometimes, but the reality is I don't do a lot of hooliganism, I'm more of a touring rider. And it's still more exciting than an R1200RT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts