Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm still trying to sort out a few problems to get the old girl running well. She has been getting hard to start and I'd blamed this on not having the FCRs tuned in properly yet, but today it was very clear she was only running on one cylinder when cold - the horizontal was just not firing. This symptom is pretty similar to some of the things I've been chasing blaming the carbs. Anyway it definitely ran on only one cylinder for quite a while, until it appeared to "warm up" and ran really well. It was easy to see that it was only running on one cylinder as I had the timing light fitted to the horizontal cylinder and it just wasn't lighting. Swapped the timing light back onto the vertical cylinder and the light was firing well. Swapped it back to the horizontal cylinder and no light again. Gave the bikes a few revs slowly and after a bit of coaching the horizontal cylinder seemed to catch and started to fire. It seems to settle down and run OK.

Now that I look back on things, it has been a bit dicky like this for a while and I've been blaming the carbs.

So question is - where do I start? I guess swapping the coils around is the easiest/first step to see if that moves the problem to the vertical cylinder? In reality is there any one of the spark components that is likely to fail any more than the others?

Did I read somewhere that the Nology coils are not suitable for use with the Kokusan igniters?

Any input most welcome.

Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just had another look and what I thought were Kokusan ignition modules appear to be Pederzini AL-9000 units. A bit of reading seems to indicate these are aftermarket alternatives for the Kokusan units but don't allow the spark to advance as far. Is this correct?

Can I use these the Pederzini modules with Nology coils?

Thanks.

Muddy

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Having just gone through this -- suspect everything. Forget about what you are going to buy until you know you are buying it. Systematically swap individual items between cylinders until the problem actually moves. Make no assumptions because something "tests good" on a multimeter.

Plugs
Plug caps (they unscrew from the wires)
Plug Wires
Coils
Igniters

If the problem goes away, continue to test - you may have more than one issue concurrently.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm - the voice of experience is most welcome, thanks.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Hmm - the voice of experience is most welcome, thanks.
You're welcome. :) My post came off a little harsher, or snobbier, than I meant. My apologies. Just be methodical and take good notes as you go.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem - really appreciate your input - I read your topic with great interest and see it was coil related - that is probably where I'll start. I have a set of Nology coils here and just hope they are compatible with the Pederzini control units.

Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would start by swapping the Pederzini boxes. The symptoms are not that of a bad box but aftermarket items are almost always suspect #1 and it is a very easy test to do.
Thanks ducvet, that does make sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting your findings. Not that mine would be the same problem for sure but I have the same issue with no spark at the horizontal cylinder. The bike ran perfect when I parked it in the fall, when I started it a few weeks ago it was obviously running on one cylinder. After a few checks I determined there was no spark at one cylinder. I swapped coils and there was no change, same cylinder dead. I am suspecting a pickup but I am not familiar with how they function and there is an individual pickup for each cylinder. Any idea if a Haynes manual is detailed enough to offer any assistance?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hey Door_Guy:
Did you double check the SPWire? If it's tie-wrapped to the frame at any point, it may leak "blindly" to the frame. Just a thought. These beasts are over 20 years young now!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting your findings. Not that mine would be the same problem for sure but I have the same issue with no spark at the horizontal cylinder. The bike ran perfect when I parked it in the fall, when I started it a few weeks ago it was obviously running on one cylinder. After a few checks I determined there was no spark at one cylinder. I swapped coils and there was no change, same cylinder dead. I am suspecting a pickup but I am not familiar with how they function and there is an individual pickup for each cylinder. Any idea if a Haynes manual is detailed enough to offer any assistance?
It is detailed enough. But first, go through everything else before you go for the pick-up coils. As mentioned, swap plugs, plug caps, wires and igniters to see if the condition follows one of these. Try all of the low hanging fruit first, you might just find you get lucky.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Muddy
Don't I recall you bought an Ignitech system like mine?
Cheers
Rob
G'day Rob

Been off-line for a couple of days - computer failure. Yes I did buy the Ignitech system, but was determined to get the old girl going again before fitting the Ignitech.

One thing I found out is that the Pederzini ignition controllers get very hot after a very short time firing the Nology coils - not sure how hot is normal though?

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after a couple of days offline, I'm pleased to report that I have not made much headway. I checked all the units that I could - pickups are as per manual, ditto for old coils. I swapped the Pederzini ignition units from one side to the other and got absolutely nothin - no spark anywhere. Swapped them back and the same thing - nothin. I spent a lot of time making a nice new stainless steel bracket to mount the igniters onto plus some brand new Nology coils I had. I pushed the starter button and it fired straight up, but then started to splutter and miss. I put the timing light onto the system and noticed it was very much like hunting - except it was spark related. Turned it off and noticed the Pederzini units were very, very hot - could hardly touch them - is this normal?

By this time it was dark and I called it quits - obviously more work required. :crying:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not an expert but I think I remember reading a thread here about compatibility issues with Nology coils. Very low impedance. Try a search on Nology and you should find it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you checked the resistance on the flywheel pickups? They should be around 110 Ohms each.
Thanks motroutman, I did check these and they look fine with a multimeter test.

Not an expert but I think I remember reading a thread here about compatibility issues with Nology coils. Very low impedance. Try a search on Nology and you should find it.
Bloody hell - don't you hate it when you've stuffed up the simplest things. :frown2: You're exactly right spacey - and more so I knew that too. The 2 Nology coils I had here came courtesy of a kind poster here from the USA. I didn't check them - I just assumed they were the higher impedance units suitable for the system ignition control units. My bad! Just checked now and see they are the 0.6 ohm impedance units which will probably explain why the Pederzini units got hot quickly. Another fine mess I've gotten myself into! :grin2:

As Rob In Oz said, looks like I need to step up and fit the Ignitech now rather than later. :wink2:

Thanks for all the input everyone

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Want to learn bike mechanics/electrics? Buy a Ducati!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ain't that true. No wonder Ducati owners are called "passionate" - you have to be to stick at it. Speaking of which, that sounds like the Ducati workshop calling again!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts