Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read numerous posts of people modifying their airboxes for various ST models but have not seen a lot of photo evidence. I'm looking to butcher the cover on my '02 ST4s and would like to see some samples of other people's work before I get started.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your a mindreader BCBud as I was about to ask the same question. I also belive that there is a Ducati Corse drawring showing orientation and hole size. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I don't have a picture handy, but the DP supplied air box lid is just the regular lid with the top cut completely off. What you have left is a simple frame that is about 1.5" in height and does nothing more than hold the filter to the lower box. It is cut just above where the spring clips attach. No hole size, or number of holes, or particular orientation of the holes to worry about. WFO!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a picture handy, but the DP supplied air box lid is just the regular lid with the top cut completely off. What you have left is a simple frame that is about 1.5" in height and does nothing more than hold the filter to the lower box. It is cut just above where the spring clips attach. No hole size, or number of holes, or particular orientation of the holes to worry about. WFO!
Thanks for that. Do you think that a completely cut off top would be any noisier than one with holes drilled in it?

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Most folks remove the snorkels and cut a couple of 1 1/2" holes near the rear of the air box. I tried cutting mine off completely but thought is was too loud IMHO. I sold mine on ebay and purchased another and put the 2 holes back in it.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Mine looks like swiss cheese, with numerous 3/4" holes (guessing at the size). The intake noise is pretty loud too, not that I'm complaining.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Thanks for that. Do you think that a completely cut off top would be any noisier than one with holes drilled in it?
I suspect that it is, but I don’t know. I've only run the stock box and the DP open kit. It is pretty loud with the DP kit. In fact, wide open it feels like it wants to suck your face right off. Awesome!

I wear ear plugs anyway, so no real issues as far as the noise goes for me.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I went one further......

I chopped the whole top off of the lid and mounted my voltage regulator to the top of the airbox...

My OEM regulator lasted 11k miles. The second one lasted 4k miles. This relocated regulator has been on the bike for about 35k miles without any issues.....so far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is what is on mine, since I have the chip and StainTunes, it's not more audible than the pipes, at least with the pipe restrictor inserts removed (even at that the pipes are not that loud, but you can hear them over the intake when you get on it). When you really open it up there is some intake "honk", but it's not an annoying or unappealing sound.

If you're going to modify your airbox may I suggest you start by cutting some holes? If you're satisfied with the sound then cut them larger or add more, once it gets to swiss cheese if it works for you, then cut the rest of the top off as described.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
If you have the ability to alter the fueling to compensate, just uncork the whole lid. I've had the open air-box and pipes from day one on my '04, and it's never been too loud for me.

The droning of the exhaust is more an issue for me on long rides. I do wear earplugs then. But, it's a toss up as to which is worse, the droning or the wind noise. At least with the earplugs, I get a good reduction, but the exhaust note and air-box sound still come through nicely.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Desmo D, any problems with that in wet weather?

BTW, mine had a bunch of 1" holes all in it when I got it.
I taped some of them up back when I was having the leaning out issue
with the air pressure sensor. Guess I'll have to untape them now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've heard of people having trouble with wet air filter when the whole top is cut so knowing that there was a good chance of getting caught in the rain when touring I cut two 2" square holes in the back of the box. Love the whooshing and clickity-clack of the valves I can hear now and noticed a gain in power with this mod.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Desmo D, any problems with that in wet weather?
None what-so-ever...and this bike has seen a lot of wet weather riding.

I imagine the filter may probably get wet, but I've not noticed any performance issues when riding in the rain. The filter doesn't have the deterioration that you would expect if it got wet, but it may be the type of paper that is used for the filter. I have a K&N, but haven't convinced myself to install it (I had two but sold one).

My wife's ST2 has the same arrangement (but not the regulator relocation) and her bike doesn't seem to have any issues related to the airbox, either, but we haven't had the bike very long or ridden it a whole lot. BTW, I have a FBF eprom and my wife's ST2 has one of those Triton eproms. They both seem to run pretty good. ;)

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
thanks DD, air box mods on the way. I have the DP eprom.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
My options booklet showed the DP airbox to have only the back cut out which is easilly achieved with electric jigsaw.
The finished article is as per the attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My options booklet showed the DP airbox to have only the back cut out
I believe there are a couple versions of the DP airbox lid. I remember one that was completely chopped, but the 2003 accessory catalog showed they left the front about 1"-2" higher than the back.

Part #96011AAA (three "A" mean third version?)

I'll see if I can find a way to make the accessory catalog available (a PDF at 2.0+ MB).

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I believe there are a couple versions of the DP airbox lid. I remember one that was completely chopped, but the 2003 accessory catelog showed they left the front about 1"-2" higher than the back.

Part #96011AAA (three "A" mean third version?)

I'll see if I can find a way to make the accessory catelog available (a PDF at 2.0+ MB).
This is the picture of the cover from the DP catalog.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts