Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all enjoy photos of our own bikes. This is what I was able to get done with my new camera. This is a composite of four shots using light painting with an LED flashlight in my pitch black garage and a home made diffuser.

Canon 80D 30-second exposure, ISO 100, f9, 18-55 stock Canon lens

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not easy, but practice is needed. I think I shot 30 bad shots before I got to understand how to operate the light. Keep in mind that my finished shot is sampled from 4 good shots that each was good for one particular area. There's one shot for the wheels, one for the top of the background, one for the tank and fenders, and one for the engine. Once blended, it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice night shot. I've tried this here in L.A., but there's so much light pollution...
Where were you camping? I camped there in June with my son, near Bellevue, up at 10,000 feet.

You could stack a sky shot with lighting the bike and get a bitchin' result. I will try that too soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can also try using a colored gel or filter on your flashlight to add some colored highlights- usually the subtler the better-maybe on the edges... but you can get crazy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Very nice night shot. I've tried this here in L.A., but there's so much light pollution...
Where were you camping? I camped there in June with my son, near Bellevue, up at 10,000 feet.

You could stack a sky shot with lighting the bike and get a bitchin' result. I will try that too soon.
San Isabel N.F. Not too far from Blanca Peak and Great Sand Dunes.

That whole area is very OTG. It is on N.F. land and we didn't see anyone for days. The only time I've been up the Fort Collins area was on the COBDR, which goes through the Medicine Bow N.F. I tend to gravitate to the south of Colorado. There's just so much there. I can camp up to 12k, but one more foot gives me a headache.

There's a lot of light polute here, not much elevation, and the humidity makes astro work a lot more difficult. I've spent some time in Redondo Beach. The thing about Cali is that the desert and out door places are much closer than coming from N.C.

I haven't tried the combined image work yet, but I am very interested in that branch. I imagine that Light Room would work very nice with that idea because the bike would be in silhouette, making the job easy for the software. I need to find a good, dark mountaintop to work on that set up. Again, thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool camping rig.
I had no problems from L.A. to 10.000 feet. My son is planning on taking me to a 14k. We'll see how I fare then, ah ah!

As long as you have a solid tripod, you should be able to stack the night sky and light-painted bike from several shots. I don't see why not.
I've never used LR. I have an old version of Photoshop that works for me, but I'm told LR is amazing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts