Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how I might build a solid, removable...something...to allow my Blackberry Storm to sit on the triples for GPS, which is absolutely useless in my pocket?

Glue velcro to a case for the BB, then strap a velcro homemade thing to the triples, is all I can think, but that doesn't sound too stable and I don't want my phone to catch wind and split LOL...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
A bit confused...I get just this and the triple clamp replacement from the other link, yes?

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...65077045072079076045085078051085/Default.aspx
Yep. The triple mount ram/billet center replacement from desmotimes then the appropriate "other mounting hardware" from the ram-mount guys. I'd recommend giving them a call Monday to ensure you get everything you "need" for your specific phone.

Here's where I actually got my stuff with the short adaptor I'm talking about.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-short-length-dual-1.0-inch-socket-arm/ramb201a.htm
Everything should be for a 1" ball/ram.
I just installed a second GPS mount on my ZX14 and other than the triple tree ram, I needed 2-3 "other" parts to make the "kit" complete. Works like a dream. :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Yeah I'll just order from them directly on Monday to make sure I get the right stuff...

Thanks very much:) Now I'll just have to resist the urge to look for text messages every five seconds LOL...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pulling top triple

OK everything has arrived, including this:

http://www.desmotimes.com/product89.htm

He says to remove to top triple. Is there anything I need to know here, other than the obvious fact that I need to find the right torque of the bolts and re-apply? Bike doesn't have to be set up on anything, does it? I have front and rear stands, but nothing else.

Will anything have to be done here other than remove a few bolts (and the damper it seems) and pull the top triple off? I got his tool for the center section, so that's obvious.

I don't like touching suspension but it would drive me nuts to take this tiny job to the dealer.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
OK everything has arrived, including this:

http://www.desmotimes.com/product89.htm

He says to remove to top triple. Is there anything I need to know here, other than the obvious fact that I need to find the right torque of the bolts and re-apply? Bike doesn't have to be set up on anything, does it? I have front and rear stands, but nothing else.

Will anything have to be done here other than remove a few bolts (and the damper it seems) and pull the top triple off? I got his tool for the center section, so that's obvious.

I don't like touching suspension but it would drive me nuts to take this tiny job to the dealer.

Shawn
Nope. Top triple comes right off after what you stated. Has no impact on the bike just sitting there. As long as you leave the lower triple clamped to the fork tubes nothing will/should move. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did something similar using a Techmount Fork Mount (Euro), Techmount Quick Change Adapter and RAM Holder. Tucker Rocky is a distributor for Techmount, so just about any MC shop can order one for ya.' As for the RAM Holder I found it on Ebay. It's worked out very well. The mounting system is sturdy and doesn't obstruct my view of the instrument cluster when sitting upright. It also stays out of the way in a full tuck behind the windscreen. There's plenty of space between the chin section of my helmet and the GPS. Anyway, this is what the whole set-up looks like......

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. Top triple comes right off after what you stated. Has no impact on the bike just sitting there. As long as you leave the lower triple clamped to the fork tubes nothing will/should move. :)
Awesome thanks! In that case, I'm off to the garage since it's tundrn lightnin here today...

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done, thanks guys:

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Hmmm very nice. The one reason I have not purchased a set of Rizoma clip-ons on my Monster was because I was unsure how I could mount my GPS (a must have in my case).

Looks like I'll get my clip-ons after all.

What a great site.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Well done! Nice and clean as designed. Enjoy! I know I certainly have for a while now.
Since you JUST did it, you may want to post up the entire parts list while it's still fresh in your mind. Just a thought.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done! Nice and clean as designed. Enjoy! I know I certainly have for a while now.
Since you JUST did it, you may want to post up the entire parts list while it's still fresh in your mind. Just a thought.
Parts...what you see is exactly from the link above. The actual mount for my phone, well, Im not 100% on it; its big, but more importantly since I have a Storm, it seems the clasps want to interfere with my phones performance...as in it seems to lock up when being grasped from the edges.

I really like the Storm but it never seems to work, so I may have to go back to something that isnt touch...

Stuff like that bums me out, but oh well LOL

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm very nice. The one reason I have not purchased a set of Rizoma clip-ons on my Monster was because I was unsure how I could mount my GPS (a must have in my case).

Looks like I'll get my clip-ons after all.

What a great site.
Honestly...this was effort for something I might not like in the end...so dont necessarily go by the picture. It looks HUGE on the bike when I put the Storm there with all the mounting stuff.

Why do you need clip-ons though to install this...oh handlebars...right!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts

Why do you need clip-ons though to install this...oh handlebars...right!
I currently have handlebars with the GPS mount bolted on the center handlebar mounting. If I install a Rizoma clip-on set, there's no longer a place to install the mounting (unless I drill the Rizoma top-triple, uh-uh).

I'm gonna look at this more closely. The GPS is a must have whatever I do.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I currently have handlebars with the GPS mount bolted on the center handlebar mounting. If I install a Rizoma clip-on set, there's no longer a place to install the mounting (unless I drill the Rizoma top-triple, uh-uh).

I'm gonna look at this more closely. The GPS is a must have whatever I do.
Tried it today, works great, but absolutely positively need to find some way to hook phone up to USB via the Ducati's battery for charging, it died 4/5s way there and I had to ask for directions all the way back LOL.

It doesn't need the 2 big ugly end pieces, will help the look a lot to remove them:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts