Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
5,451 Posts
I use the x-grip type RAM mount for my iPhone. No troubles...yet. How many wheelies are you doing per ride?

;)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Seems odd a little bike vibration would kill it. Most even survive falls on hard surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Seems odd a little bike vibration would kill it. Most even survive falls on hard surfaces.

Yea, true. But, constant vibration at constant frequencies can damage solder joints and electronic components. A fall from a table is a single trauma event. Vibration from a motorcycle is constant and often times sortof ~stuck~ at a single frequency for long periods of time (think freeway riding). Internal components of the dumb phone are taking repeated "falls" (if you will) perhaps hundreds of times per second with each vibratory pulse.

Just sayin' .. :)

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, true. But, constant vibration at constant frequencies can damage solder joints and electronic components. A fall from a table is a single trauma event. Vibration from a motorcycle is constant and often times sortof ~stuck~ at a single frequency for long periods of time (think freeway riding). Internal components of the dumb phone are taking repeated "falls" (if you will) perhaps hundreds of times per second with each vibratory pulse.

Just sayin' .. :)

For sure, electronics generally don't like vibration. They are pretty good at handling shock. I was just seeing if this is a common thing. @DuckMan , that Walden Pond photo was the last picture that phone worked. At the end of the ride I wanted to get another picture w/ Dad & Dolemite but it was gone :-(

·
Registered
321 Posts
a friend of mine went through this a while ago on the KTM 390, a single cyl where vibrations are plentiful. he ended up using this nd hasnt had any problems since:

**I feel like I have to say i have no affiliation the that company, I personally use a Ram ball/Quadlock combo with my Pixel 3

EDIT: Spelling

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,255 Posts
You won’t have any problems if you use your phone for maps or phone calls.
But you shouldn’t use your phone camera while it is fixed to the bike. When the camera is on, the micro-mechanics components in it performing the auto-focusing task will get damaged if they are forced to work under vibration.
Use a Gopro instead.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a friend of mine went through this a while ago on the KTM 390, a single cyl where vibrations are plentiful. he ended up using this nd hasnt had any problems since:
I was on a single cylinder KTM 690 ... hmm.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I was on a single cylinder KTM 690 ... hmm.
Lol! :) Now he truth comes out. My 690 will shake the filling out of your teeth. :)

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
Reactions: Slowdive and Xyst

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a GREAT mount for motorcycles that helps with that specific problem if needed. Best phone mount I have ever used, love it! @Richardrka at RKA sells them.
Here is the mount: Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount
And the accessory to ward off camera damage: Buzz-Kill Vibration Isolator
Has anyone worked with these guys (Hondo Garage) recently? I placed an order 10 days ago. No word. I sent an email inquiry end of last week. They are not responding to email, not answering the phone & voice mailbox full? Not good signs.

ETA: Some Google-fu and it looks like this just might be their MO. People having the same complaint for years.

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
Has anyone worked with these guys (Hondo Garage) recently? I placed an order 10 days ago. No word. I sent an email inquiry end of last week. They are not responding to email, not answering the phone & voice mailbox full? Not good signs.

ETA: Some Google-fu and it looks like this just might be their MO. People having the same complaint for years.
Well shoot. Sorry about that, they did ship quickly to me. You might check with Rich and Kathy at RKA, they are a vendor for them and may have what you need in stock or answers for you:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use the Scoshe mag mount. One on the Wing, one on the Ducati.
Rubber is holding the phone and seems to reduce the vibration transmitted to the phone. I have the plain low profile mag mount in my cars, so everything is common.
Nothing to hit the buttons. The rubber is sculpted around the shape of the phone, so it limits the amount of screen interference. And because of the magnetic backing, I can take the phone in or out with one hand.

Amazon.com: Scosche PSM11024 Magicmount Quick Release Universal Mount for Tubes up to 1.75” Motorcycles, ATV's and Side X Sides

Amazon.com: Scosche PSM11018 TerraClamp Magic Pro Magnetic Phone Mount for Motorcycles, ATVs x Sides: Automotive

Here's the unit mounted on the MTS:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well shoot. Sorry about that, they did ship quickly to me. You might check with Rich and Kathy at RKA, they are a vendor for them and may have what you need in stock or answers for you:
Ah, no worries how could you have known? I'll just have to be patient. TBH I did check out the RKA website but couldn't find the mount. In full disclosure I never called though.

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
Ah, no worries how could you have known? I'll just have to be patient. TBH I did check out the RKA website but couldn't find the mount. In full disclosure I never called though.
I just called them this morning and got through to the owner Adrian, she said they have never been so busy and she is SUPER sorry. Maybe try and give another call so you can get status but she said they are working hard to get the orders out. It is just her and a machinist that do everything and she is having a hard time keeping up on the emails. She is hiring another employee to help keep up, I told her this is a good problem to have.

Reactions: Slowdive

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just called them this morning ...
Nice to have friends in high places ;-). Thanks for the heads up!

In the meantime I rigged up my RAM X mount to my old phone so it can't come out and it can't rotate. I can at least use it for nav & route tracking.

·
Super Moderator
5,451 Posts
You have a RAM ball mounted on your hip so you can use the phone off the bike?

;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Id like to add I made an order from Hondo Garage on May 12th and got a text saying it was shipped today. I didn't have to call or email, but I was about to. The owner/founder is really active on ADVrider and there's a coupon code somewhere in the thread on there too

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
On a side note, she said the company that makes the charging units is way behind on shipping so if you ordered that, it too could be part of the problem however I do think some communication on Hondo's part would be helpful.

Reactions: Xyst
1 - 20 of 24 Posts