Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am heading to Phoenix the 9th -15th of Oct and instead of renting a car, I figured I would rent a bike and do some riding. I've been searching the net and found a place that rents ducs and they have a streetfighter. I was planning on running up through Sedona onto the GC and maybe up 163. I am looking at every bike available and was wondering what you guys would think. I get a little tired riding my SFS around here and didnt want to get stuck riding one for a ton of miles. I will have a passenger, but fortunetly for me she is pretty petite and have no issues with hauling her at home.

I was thinking of just "cough, cough" renting a HD electra glide or maybe a Goldwing. I really need some storage as we would like to do some lite camping for a few nites if at all possible. I contacted some of the rental companies, but wanted to know what maybe some of you locals though of the terrain and maybe nicer roads to ride. I've done this trip 4 years ago in a econobox rental and all I remember thinking is I wish I had my bike or nicer car as it was beautiful.

tia...and sorry so long...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions, these are my thoughts (it's where I'm from).

Sadly there isn't very much in the immediate Phoenix Metro area. Perhaps Cave Creek/Carefree, but traffic is miserable anymore.

If you're thinking of a weekend, avoid Sedona. It's a tourist trap and you'll just sit in lines of cars not going anywhere.

The Verde Valley area has some great roads, up towards Payson, Strawberry, Pine, etc.

The ride through the Salt River Canyon is also quite pleasant.

If you're doing the big cruiser thing, much of the ride is boring, but heading up to the Grand Canyon yields unparalled scenery...once you get there. :)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Will you be based in Phoenix and trying to do day trips? How many miles is a comfortable day for you? I could recommend several loops out of Phoenix from 100 - 700 miles long. All fantastic. If you get out early, I mean REALLY early (leave the valley around 6am), you'll miss the traffic, which hasn't been bad at all IMHO. One issue is that to get to the really fun and scenic roads you need to get up to 100 miles out of town in any direction.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am flying into Phoenix and getting a rental there on Saturday, then return the rental there on weds morning and catch a flight back home weds eveing. So 4 days of riding and stopping each day. I was thinking of phoenix to Sedona day one. Then sedona to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park on the 2nd day. 3rd day down to the Grand Caynon, then 4th day back down to Phoenix to return the bike and catch a flight home. I've been to Sedona before and if there is somewhere else that is nice, I would try it. I really want to get up to the northern part and see some of that. 4hours a day would be enough to leave time to enjoy the location, but if you guys think there is more that I should see, I am game.

·
Registered
998 Posts
In this order[I think], Phx., Wickenburg,Congress Junc., Yarnell, Prescott, Sedona, Jerome, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon[long way from anywhere], Flagstaff, Monument Valley[another long way], Holbrook/St. Johns, then down the east side of Az. to Henigans Meadow and the Salt River Canyon into Scotsdale, or west on I40 to Winslow[Rt. 66] and down 89 to Strawberry/Pine and Payson, Sunflower, Fountain Hills, Scotts.
Not all of these are real towns, just old stage stops when 60 miles in a day was a long way. Just along the way.
Jerome to Cottonwood/Clarkdale, Camp Verde, Strawberry/Pine[via Gen Cook Trail/Zane grey Hwy],Payson,Showlow and eastern Az. Cuts out northern Az. but a real nice ride. Still pretty warm in the valley through Oct.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In this order[I think], Phx., Wickenburg,Congress Junc., Yarnell, Prescott, Sedona, Jerome, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon[long way from anywhere], Flagstaff, Monument Valley[another long way], Holbrook/St. Johns, then down the east side of Az. to Henigans Meadow and the Salt River Canyon into Scotsdale, or west on I40 to Winslow[Rt. 66] and down 89 to Strawberry/Pine and Payson, Sunflower, Fountain Hills, Scotts.
Not all of these are real towns, just old stage stops when 60 miles in a day was a long way. Just along the way.
Jerome to Cottonwood/Clarkdale, Camp Verde, Strawberry/Pine[via Gen Cook Trail/Zane grey Hwy],Payson,Showlow and eastern Az. Cuts out northern Az. but a real nice ride. Still pretty warm in the valley through Oct.
I did almost that ride on the Friday of Labor Day weekend (here), with a ride out to Meteor Crater thrown in. Was not happy with the rain south of Jerome runing that road (see pic).

Southbound, I defnitely have to recommend making your way through Show Low and then down the 60/77 through Globe, if you've got the time to pull a loop that large. Like Uzziah said, there isn't much within the Phoenix area that leads to anywhere. Just the Barlett lake and Old Mine roads out in the Carefree area, HEAVILY patrolled by the Sheriffs on weekends. And be prepared to overheat your bike if you're rolling through Sedona on a weekend.

BTW, I've got friends in Flagstaff who said they're already seeing lows below freezing overnight this week. Bring plenty of clothes for this trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am flying into Phoenix and getting a rental there on Saturday, then return the rental there on weds morning and catch a flight back home weds eveing. So 4 days of riding and stopping each day. I was thinking of phoenix to Sedona day one. Then sedona to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park on the 2nd day. 3rd day down to the Grand Caynon, then 4th day back down to Phoenix to return the bike and catch a flight home. I've been to Sedona before and if there is somewhere else that is nice, I would try it. I really want to get up to the northern part and see some of that. 4hours a day would be enough to leave time to enjoy the location, but if you guys think there is more that I should see, I am game.
I would do that northern loop backwards, so you go through Sedona on a weekday. Weekends up there are miserable, nothing but long lines of cars and people walking across the road everywhere. It used to be such a nice little town, too.

I don't know your riding habits but be careful splitting lanes there. I believe it is still legal if reasonable, but cops watch it more closely, and the drivers are pretty clueless (well, that's just like most places I suppose).

·
27,525 Posts
Whatever route you take, go with the Harley rental. A sport, or any version of sporty-ish bike is a total waste of hardware in Arizona, save for about three special roads. Click back and cruise.

I did 18 years there...:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts