Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PG's Dam Magical Mystery Tour

On our way back from the ST Madness rally in Donnelly, Idaho, Paul Geller wanted to see Mill Pond Dam on Sullivan Creek east of Metaline Falls, WA. The dam has been approved for removal, so who knows how much longer it will be there.

#1-4: The dam over Sullivan Creek which creates Sullivan Lake east of Metaline Falls, WA.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Down stream on Sullivan Creek is Mill Pond Dam which created a log pond. This dam is going to be removed. The dam was built to create a pond to feed a flume. The flume transported the water down to a power plant which generated electricty for a cement plant in Metaline Falls, WA. If a landside took out a section of the flume, the cement plant and Metaline Falls shut down for lack of electricty until the flume was repaired.

#5-8: Spillway.

#9-10: There was no floating barrier upstream of the dam to guard against rafters or kayakers. If you get close enough in the water to read this sign, it is already too late to avoid going over the falls.

#11: Our bikes.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is a short trail from the dam which leads to remnants of the flume. Back in the old days, employees of the cement plant and their families used the flume as an easy walkway up the mountain to the log pond for picnics.

#12-13: PG examines remnants of the old flume.

#14-15: The old power plant downstream.

#17: Box Canyon Dam is south of Metaline Falls on the Pend d'Oreille River.

#18: I like the railroad bridge behind the dam. The railroad is a branch line of the old Milwaukee Road which was built north from Newport, WA up the Pend d'Oreille Valley to serve the large cement plant at Metaline Falls. The cement plant is out of business and large hydro-electric dams in the area made the old Sullivan Creek flume and power plant obsolete.

I want to return to photograph one more dam in the area. Boundary Dam is the last dam on the north-flowing Pend d'Oreille River before it enters Canada north of Metaline Falls. The confluence of the Pend d'Oreille and Columbia Rivers is just across the border from one of the roads we like to ride out of Colville, WA.

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Someday I've got to find a way to talk my riding frens into going on a BIG ride and make it to that part of the world. Someday.

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someday I've got to find a way to talk my riding frens into going on a BIG ride and make it to that part of the world. Someday.
Come to Madness/2013. I know what summers in Houston are like. Our low humidity should be enough to get you guys out here for several weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts