Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am a 1098 Streetfighter S rider. I have zero association with the company referred to below and I receive zero compensation of any kind for writing the following. I am writing this solely because the tour was more incredible that anything I could have expected. I have been on over a dozen motorcycle trips in Europe and many more in Canada and the western US and I've seen my share of great roads. I have never before done a group tour - previously it has been my friend and I doing research, renting bikes and just riding with nothing booked in advance.

I just got back from a 2 week Peru trip called the Machu Picchu Express organized by PeruMotors.com. There were 8 riders (including one two-up (man/wife)), the guide and a support vehicle. The bikes were beemers (700GS, 800GS, 1200GS) and one Honda TransAlp

I'll try to describe:

2700km of which ~2400km was perfect pavement with essentially no traffic. Think of the best motorcycle road you know and make it 2400km long ranging from sea level to over 16000ft through desert, jungle, high plains, deep valleys and much more - more continuous curves than you ever thought possible. No jittery animals (lots of animals but not the type that suddenly jump in front of you), no rain (we were lucky in this regard), and best of all ZERO police interference - they exhibit a 100% hands-off approach to motorcyclists - effectively there are no speed limits and no rules. Short of dragging a corpse through a school zone whilst crossing a double solid, you will not be stopped. Without a doubt the best motorcycle trip I've ever had - maybe the best trip I've had period. The guide said the group I was with was the fastest he had ever had and we all got along great. In a short sentence:

www.perumotors.com, Machu Picchu Express route, guided or bike only - you will NOT be disappointed!! (our guide's name was Geert and he is a true pro with a great pace)

I'm in the process of making a video and will post a link once it's done - it'll be a while now that Christmas is upon us.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Well that sucks.

Thought that I would never care about riding outside the states, riding with a group, paying a guide, riding a beeeeemer, and particularly not in SA. Well done sir! I may just have to give this a go. Glad you found that you still have something left in those legs.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, please post this in the ride section.

And , BTW, the guide said his dream bike is a Multi...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Peruvian Tour

Thanks so much for the trip video. I did a trip to Peru in August. Started in Lima and went south. I stayed in the same hotel outside Nazca ! I couldn't believe it when I saw you standing in the courtyard between the buildings near the restaurant building. Remember the pheasants?
The mountain roads were great! the KTM 1090 Adventure pretty nice, though I missed my ST4S and Multi. I might encourage alittle care on the mountain roads. I found oncoming truckers driving racing lines through the hairpins that put them where I wanted to be more than once. I won't even mention the randomly placed statue cows or llamas. They don't see many fast motorcycles.
I completely agree about these being invaluable experiences. I too, am not done, either.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! Yes I remember the birds at the hotel - peacocks I think. And an agressive turkey. I found the trucks were usually going so slow that they were easy to deal with. That said, sometimes they do cut corners. And though there are thousands of animals, they are not the type that jump on the road in front of you (like the deer do where I live). Rubber side down,

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts