Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from Crash.net

Dani Pedrosa will leave Honda at the end of the 2018 season 'by mutual agreement', ending a partnership that began in the 125cc class in 2002 and includes 13 consecutive seasons at the factory's official MotoGP team.

The Spaniard, a 125cc and double 250cc world champion before joining Repsol Honda in 2006, is the most successful rider without a premier-class title.

Pedrosa has claimed 31 victories and finished as world championship runner-up in 2007, 2010 and again in 2012 - when he took seven wins, one more than champion Jorge Lorenzo.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems today that there is a strong rumor that Lorenzo is headed to Honda... on Sunday Jack Miller was linked to the Repsol team... though I suspect Morebidelli makes the most sense.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd love to see Lorenzo get Pedrosa's ride. That way I'd have all the people I hate in Motogp on the same team. :)

funny you should say that, I love both MM and JL
I find that this move by JL will only enhance the Honda

when JL left the Yamaha team it was the best bike in the paddock
when he leaves the Ducati team at the end of this year it will be the best bike in the paddock
By 2020, Honda will be the best bike in the paddock

everyone was saying that JL would have to change his riding style to be able to ride the Ducati
what a load of BS
JL has changed the Ducati so he can ride it as smooth as silk
JL will change the Honda and it will become easier to ride, just like the Ducati

Jorge Lorenzo, the best developmental rider in the paddock :wink2:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sucks that Lorenzo and Ducati finally started working well together right as he's getting ready to leave, would have really loved to see JLO win a title on the Duc :(

However, seeing him on the Repsol next year should be interesting!

All that being said, I would love to see the rumors of Pedrosa on a Petronas Factory Yamaha come true :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks like Pedrosa has said he'll make an announcement regarding his future this coming weekend at the Sachsenring..

Doesn't sound very optimistic, and I won't be surprised if he decides to hang it up after this year :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
I can understand him being a bit down but even if he signs a 1 year contract and sees how it goes. I guess hard to step down from the Honda factory though.
I know it's all just talk at this point, but everything I've read so far seems to indicate that the new Yamaha team would be running current spec M1s just like the Factory Yamaha team. If that's the case, it might not be a step down so much as a lateral move. There seemed to be a lot of people that think Dani's riding style would suit the Yamaha better than the Honda.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,378 Posts
If the deal is anything like what Tech3 had then maybe they will get current spec bikes but they won't get any in season upgrades and that's the kicker.
One of the reasons Herve dumped Yamaha.
For mine I'd rather see Pedro retire now before his career goes any further downhill.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
It would be fun to see Dani ride the M1, but only if he really was an alien-level rider. MM is so hot on the Factory Honda, that it seems like even if his teammate was not as good, he should still be fighting in the top 5. I don't think Dani is in the top 5 riders anymore. I'm happy to be wrong. I don't see why, just because he gets a good bike, he's going to be in the top 10. he still wouldn't get factory support.

It does "seem" like a good time to retire, but if he wants to race and ride, then more power to him.

I still think the Yamaha sucks, but that the big problems are slowly sorting out (maybe as referenced by Zarco and Mav both running well last race) so it possible that by the end of the season, Pedrosa could be given a very decent motorcycle.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If the deal is anything like what Tech3 had then maybe they will get current spec bikes but they won't get any in season upgrades and that's the kicker.
For mine I'd rather see Pedro retire now before his career goes any further downhill.
Again, all speculation, but it does seem like this potential Petronas Yamaha would be closer to the Factory team in terms of support and upgrades than the Tech3 squad was. I would love for that to be true, but I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

It would be fun to see Dani ride the M1, but only if he really was an alien-level rider. MM is so hot on the Factory Honda, that it seems like even if his teammate was not as good, he should still be fighting in the top 5. I don't think Dani is in the top 5 riders anymore. I'm happy to be wrong. I don't see why, just because he gets a good bike, he's going to be in the top 10. he still wouldn't get factory support.

It does "seem" like a good time to retire, but if he wants to race and ride, then more power to him.

I still think the Yamaha sucks, but that the big problems are slowly sorting out (maybe as referenced by Zarco and Mav both running well last race) so it possible that by the end of the season, Pedrosa could be given a very decent motorcycle.
If Pedrosa feels he can't ride at this level any more (which I don't think is true), I would LOVE to see him try his hand at something like WSBK or even come Stateside and race in Moto America! Not that he will, just something I would really enjoy watching.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If Pedrosa feels he can't ride at this level any more (which I don't think is true), I would LOVE to see him try his hand at something like WSBK or even come Stateside and race in Moto America! Not that he will, just something I would really enjoy watching.
That's interesting, and would be really fun for us. My guess is that he has a lot of money. So to give such a huge commitment for ... 100K a year? I don't know the salaries, let's just say I think he would really have to want to keep racing to do that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's interesting, and would be really fun for us. My guess is that he has a lot of money. So to give such a huge commitment for ... 100K a year? I don't know the salaries, let's just say I think he would really have to want to keep racing to do that.
Yeah I can't really imagine him switching careers vs retiring, just wishful thinking :)

I wish the folks running our American series could find a way to infuse enough cash to lure some guys like Scott Redding over here. We need some big personality/high skill riders, and I think with those traits we could see a resurgence in popularity.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts

This reminds me of the interview I saw with Cal Crutchlow on MotoGp.com. Apparently, Cal's bike was getting pretty close to the level of the HRC bikes and the interviewer knew this and asked Cal what was the difference between his team/bike and the Factory bikes. He looked at the guy and said, "About 60 people." Not only will the Factory get the upgrades, but they basically have unlimited staff to put it all together and get the best out of the equipment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts