Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the newer bikes EVO modells 2010- If changing til Termi or other full system. You keep the closed loop with o2 sensors in the exhaust and use a PCV with o2 optimizer wich optimizes up to 4000rpm and than you can set your own map. My question is have any one compared this to a reflash of the ECU removing of the o2 sensors and a full custom map?

I rund my bike withe the closed loop and o2 optimizer and I think the bike is running really good comparing to original... but can it run even better? :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
On the newer bikes EVO modells 2010- If changing til Termi or other full system. You keep the closed loop with o2 sensors in the exhaust and use a PCV with o2 optimizer wich optimizes up to 4000rpm and than you can set your own map. My question is have any one compared this to a reflash of the ECU removing of the o2 sensors and a full custom map?

I rund my bike withe the closed loop and o2 optimizer and I think the bike is running really good comparing to original... but can it run even better? :)
I have the HM 796 and I also run the closed loop with the sensors and the Optimizer. However i also run the Autotune because i don't want to be stuck with a particular tuners idea of the correct map. Any reflash is nothing more than a different map. Who's the tuner? Where is he? What is his altitude? Does he tune for max power or does he tune for rideability? Is his reflash a map from Ducati or did he actually make the map himself? No one knows the answer and there is no way to find out.

To answer your question is a matter of great debate on this forum. Does somebody actually make a good reflash map where the closed loop is supposed to be? They swear they do....but i have my doubts. My opinion isn't worth much....but i tend to believe all that rough running under 3k can't be fixed by anybody. It's a Ducati and that's what they do. Huge throttle bodies...big cams.... = rough running under 3k. That's what Ducati's do.

I've never seen a Ducati that can do a steady and smooth 10mph in first gear. Most can't do a smooth and steady 20mph without bucking and jerking. No HM 796 can pulll off from a dead stop without a lot of clutch lever and throttle expertise. If you say this fact on this forum.....the snobby Ducatista will say...why the hell do you ride at 10mph? Or 20mph? You should have bought a Honda.

Ducati says your idle speed should be set to 1350 to 1400 rpm. Hondas and any other Jap bike since the 60's idle at 900 to 1100 rpm.

So my conclusion is ...you're stuck with a 12k bike that runs like shit under 3k no matter what you do. It's a Ducati. :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have the HM 796 and I also run the closed loop with the sensors and the Optimizer. However i also run the Autotune because i don't want to be stuck with a particular tuners idea of the correct map. Any reflash is nothing more than a different map. Who's the tuner? Where is he? What is his altitude? Does he tune for max power or does he tune for rideability? Is his reflash a map from Ducati or did he actually make the map himself? No one knows the answer and there is no way to find out.
The Autotune is a patch for people with restricted access to a dyno.
Any dyno made map is better than the autotune. Do you often ride your Hyper all the way to the redline so that your autotune learn and gather enough data to make a decent map for all your rpm range ?
Unless you switch your PCV on learning mode while you're on a track, an Autotune on the road will most likely create you an incomplete map.

To answer your question is a matter of great debate on this forum. Does somebody actually make a good reflash map where the closed loop is supposed to be? They swear they do....but i have my doubts. My opinion isn't worth much....but i tend to believe all that rough running under 3k can't be fixed by anybody. It's a Ducati and that's what they do. Huge throttle bodies...big cams.... = rough running under 3k. That's what Ducati's do.
The main point of a reflash is not to get the perfect air/fuel ratio with a custom map, but rather getting rid of the closed loop and use that freshly reflashed ECU as a starting point.
Most of the time the new map is a copy paste of the DP ECU profle, without the o2 sensors in the case of the Siemens electronics. Nothing more.

I've never seen a Ducati that can do a steady and smooth 10mph in first gear. Most can't do a smooth and steady 20mph without bucking and jerking. No HM 796 can pulll off from a dead stop without a lot of clutch lever and throttle expertise. If you say this fact on this forum.....the snobby Ducatista will say...why the hell do you ride at 10mph? Or 20mph? You should have bought a Honda.

Ducati says your idle speed should be set to 1350 to 1400 rpm. Hondas and any other Jap bike since the 60's idle at 900 to 1100 rpm.

So my conclusion is ...you're stuck with a 12k bike that runs like shit under 3k no matter what you do. It's a Ducati. :D
I rode many Ducs that were smooth under 3k and totally ridable at low speed in traffic.
If yours isnt with a reflashed ECU and a PCV, you have a problem with your map.

That said, for the price of a reflashed ECU + PC + map or autotune, I would seriously consider a Microtec.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Your exactly correct chouch !! My Duc runs very smooth at 2500 rpm . U can even just put in 1st , let out clutch , and just idle with no jerking ......custom map with open loop is the way to go period.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Most of the time the new map is a copy paste of the DP ECU profle, without the o2 sensors in the case of the Siemens electronics. Nothing more.
Chouch, do you think the one motowheels uses is just a copy of the DP ECU—which version of the DP you think—DP Termi full? DP cam?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What Do I Do?

My bike also runs poorly below 3500rpm.
I already have a DP ECU (Slipon 8% more fuel). I am weary about having it reflashed to some generic map that may be exactly the same as what I have.

Who has the perfect map for my bike, my mods, my location?

Is it possible to have the stumble eliminated with just fuel trim adjustments via Ducatidiag or VDST or the like?

Thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
i'm also running the DP ECU from the slip-ons so i'm a bit anxious if the new reflashed stock ECU will improve my closed loop performance. i'm hoping that having that removed will indeed smooth it out and make the bike more responsive as i have read many post in this forum. when i get mine installed i will post my experience as well. if that will help anyone.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm pretty sure the reflash is a dp ecu bit without 02's so the low end is tweaked a little . My reflash also raised rev limiter to 9500

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok to sort tjis up. I'm not ner to ducati and I know how ducats Ducati runs on lower rpm.. And I'm very happy how my bike is running now with closed loop and o2 optimizer. The questions was/is simply anyone think or know the bike runs better with an open loop and custom mapp all the way on the Pcv. I have the opportunity to make a dyno for free and make a custom map. But is it worth the extra trouble to remove sensors plug the exhaust reflash the ecu and make the map from 0 rpm and up. Or is it just waist of time and money. Will theno2 optimizer make the job as good. As I said the bike is running very good as it is.. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts