Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any advice regarding a good mounting location for a PowerCommander on a ST3? The directions call for mounting on the battery but the PCIII applicable to a ST3 was originally designed for a S4 with battery mounted under the tank (I believe). Seems like mounting the unit in the battery area of an ST would subject it to a fair amount of heat. Appreciate your thoughts...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any idea how long the leads are, but it seems to me the cubby behind the gas tank would be the best place. That general location is where my R1's is, and where my FJRs' were. You want it accessible to plugging in a laptop to calibrate and swap maps, too.

:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing. I believe the PC leads will make the stretch but an extension of the the lead to the negative terminal of the battery will be in order (no big deal there). As far as swapping out maps goes... once the bike in tune, there really shouldn't be a need to fool around with that (barring performance mods of course).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, but it's better to be able to get at it.

I used to swap maps on the FJRs for hot and cold weather, and it was nice.

:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mounted mine in the left rear quarter panel. There is a nice bubble 'pocket' there to mount it in...and a small bottle of water fits nicely on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
If you want to get "at" the unit often.. you could plug in a USB extension cable and simply run that to where you want to plug in yur laptop. It´s not like your going to be removing the PC every time you mess around with the map (which isn´t that often.. really..)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the one side of the coin how much heat can the unit see if it is mounted by the battery? Especially considering that, that's where the bike's computer is located. If I do locate it there, I do like the USB extension cable idea. On the other side of the coin... I also like the idea of mounting it beneath the rear panel. No doubt it will be cooler there and a bit more accessible. Oh well... I'll get this all sorted out. Many thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just installed the USB model and want to have access but the cable was to short to locate the unit in the rear storage under the rear part of the seat, soooo i mounted it in the smaller front pocket under the front part of the seat.

Not really super satisfied with the mounting location. But wanted to have access till i get er all tuned up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts