Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Termi half system on my 04 999. I installed the DP ECU that came with the kit and then installed a PCIII and had a custom map developed on a dyno.

My questions are:

1. When I take the bike in for service, do I need to diconnect the PCIII for the Mathesis Computer to properly view data from the ECU?

2. Prior to the DP ECU and PCIII, I had adjusted the TPS and synchronized the throttle bodies to alleviate the stalling problem at idle. After the DP ECU and PCIII, the problem is back. Can I adjust the TPS without affecting the PCIII tuning?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"Can I adjust the TPS without affecting the PCIII tuning?"

No, the PCIII uses the voltage signal from the TPC to the ECU to determine throttle position for the map fueling offset. If you adjust the TPS, you are sending a different voltage signal for the same actual throttle position, and thus affecting the position on the map matrix on the TPS scale. There will be a slight effect, wherever you have a variance in the fuel offset percentage from one TPS position on the grid to another, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's more important to get the TPS referenced properly (for the ECU), and fine-tune the map (if necessary) afterwards.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Get the bike as good as you can get it WITHOUT the PCIII. Even though you installed the DP ECU that came with the exhaust, I can tell you that odds are very much against the mixture being correct. Disconnect the PCIII (although a zero map may be good enough) and get the TPS and the mixture especially set as good as they can get it like that. THEN hook up the PC and try your map. My recommendations also for a custom map!!

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I put a 57mm Termi system on my 999r and didn't use the DP ECU. The shop adjusted the mixture just fine. Went to 5% or so they said. Man, the bike runs great. No stalling, just a small burp at 3.5K to 4K. Nothing real noticeable. I MIGHT get a PCIII. Not sure why I should since the bike runs nice

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the TPS was set up correctly prior to any of the changes, would the installation of the DP ECU have affected the TPS?

The stalling issue on this bike is one (only) of the most vexxing and perplexing concerns that I have with this bike. How does a company that manages to build such a spectacular machine not send out a ECU software patch to mend this problem? :mad:

Thanks for your replies. I'll disconnect the PCIII, have the DP ECU fine-tuned and then adjust my custom PCIII map on the dyno again... $$$

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fly999 said:
If the TPS was set up correctly prior to any of the changes, would the installation of the DP ECU have affected the TPS?

The stalling issue on this bike is one (only) of the most vexxing and perplexing concerns that I have with this bike. How does a company that manages to build such a spectacular machine not send out a ECU software patch to mend this problem? :mad:

Thanks for your replies. I'll disconnect the PCIII, have the DP ECU fine-tuned and then adjust my custom PCIII map on the dyno again... $$$

80 out of 100 times it's the cam timing, not the ECU that causes the stalling problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the 'book' cam timing for the 999? Anyone set it up different from the factory settings to see a bit better performance? Any and all info would be helpful so that I can try and resolve this stalling thing and then get my custom map tweaked for the last time.

My bike has 5000kms on it and had the full 1000km service done at an authorized dealer. I saw the timing belt adjustments and the timing was bang-on. I don't ride the bike hard at all, could the belts have stretched already?

The stalling issue doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the bike, I've got the "slightly blip the throttle as I shift into neutral" down to a T, but I want to eliminate it for good.

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm in a similar situation I think with my 04 749S. It's stalling was cured by fixing cam timing and then swapping the 04 ECU for an 05. Now I've put a 54mm system stalling has returned but due to TPS. Plus I've got a PC111 on order. Having followed this thread I see that I need to set the TPS before I put the PC111 on. Excuse my ignorance but is the Mathesis the only way to go for resetting the TPS and is that only found at a Ducati dealer. I can't stand to wait weeks for the dealer to book me in for what must be a tiny job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.