Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don't keep twisting the throttle my PS1000LE stalls. Won't idle at all. Ridable but EXTREEMLY annoying and sometimes embarrassing! I am 2.5 to 3 hours away from the nearest dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried fresh gas but no luck.

Or if anyone knows of someone in N.E. Indiana U.S.A. that can assist I would GREATLY appreciate it.

THANKS!!!

Kevin

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mine did the same and was tuned well at the 6k service. Was a real pain stalling in town before that. I think you do need the shops computer to tune it well.

John

·
Registered
642 Posts
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showpost.php?p=464876&postcount=11

I can't see the above solution fixing something that just started though...

Maybe a little more details as to whether this just started happening, history with the motorbike, etc. You could at least pull a spark plug to make sure they don't look carbon fouled for some reason.

Some other gurus here should have better ideas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Even after warmed up. THANKS!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the bike used a few months ago. The problem with idling kind of came and went. Last Saturday I went on a VERY short ride (about 5 miles) and all seemed well. I stopped for about 1.5 hours. Got back on and the problem was back....for good it seems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How's it start? Have you checked battery voltage? A weak battery will do this, as it draws voltage to charge and at low RPMS the charging system throws lower voltage. However, it would probably turn pretty slowly at start so you'd likely notice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does seem to start a bit sluggish. I will check the battery. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just might be the battery voltage. I just hooked a battery tender up and it started right up and idled fine. I then removed the tender and it started and stalled. Is the Ducati battery propriatary or can I get one not at a dealer?
THANKS!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It just might be the battery voltage. I just hooked a battery tender up and it started right up and idled fine. I then removed the tender and it started and stalled. Is the Ducati battery propriatary or can I get one not at a dealer?
THANKS!!
I got a replacement battery from Interstate Batteries. Just make sure the specs are the same and you're good to go (take the old battery there and let them match it).

I, too, have found that a fresh, charged battery solves some issues, including idle and startup characteristics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
THANKS!!
Yep, sounds like that's the culprit. As mentioned above, batteries are generic, just head to your nearest dedicated battery store (Batteries Plus, Interstate, etc).

Alex

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just for grins, after you get your new battery, you might check the voltage with the motorbike running to make sure the rectifier/regulator is doing its job (something like +13.5-14.0 volts). It's the aluminum finned box under your seat. And, yes it does get toasty, but it should not be smoking hot.

The rectifiers are marginal and when they are overworked and get too hot they can fail in a spectacular way. Also check the three wire connector to make sure it is tight and not arcing.

Jeez, I give this warning a lot, but better safe then a smoking rectifier melting through your seat tray. Yes, I speak from experience!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again to all for your help. WHAT A GREAT FORUM!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still stalling!

Well, I put the new battery in today. It started fine and idled fine. Rode about 1 mile and was able to remove hand from throttle without stalling when I returned from the neighborhood ride. Went for another ride about 1/2 hour later and stalls again every time I let go of the throttle. I'll look into the other suggestions above and also take any other input. Thanks again to all who have and might respond.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts