Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I installed my Termi slipons my wife can't ride with me cause she says she is inhaling all the fumes from the exhaust.
Some might see this as a blessing :) but I personnaly I am looking to fix this.
The smoke is worst when we are moving, when on the stop it becomes less specially if the wind direction is favorable. I am guessing that on the move the low pressure caused behind us is making the smoke keep up with us instead of just leaving......
Anybody has had this problem? any idea how to fix this? ( other than loosing the wife )

thx

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Since I installed my Termi slipons my wife can't ride with me cause she says she is inhaling all the fumes from the exhaust.
The smoke is worst when we are moving, when on the stop it becomes less specially if the wind direction is favorable. I am guessing that on the move the low pressure caused behind us is making the smoke keep up with us instead of just leaving......
Anybody has had this problem? any idea how to fix this? ( other than loosing the wife )

thx
Reinstall the cat. Mine smells like fumes as wel after decat, I don't really mind.

·
Registered
307 Posts

thx
There is no reason to expect the fueling to be correct with Termi slip ons...[or any exhaust mod} unless you changed the fuel map. If you are seeing SMOKE and can smell gas....then it's really realy rich. Your MPG's must be way lower too. If you got a reflash...then the map doesn't match the mods. If you have the Ducati race ECU that came with the slip ons....i suspect that map doesn't match the exact mods on your bike. If the Ducati race map is for a full system exhaust ...and all you dis was use the slip ons....that's why it's rich and smells bad.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no reason to expect the fueling to be correct with Termi slip ons...[or any exhaust mod} unless you changed the fuel map. If you are seeing SMOKE and can smell gas....then it's really realy rich. Your MPG's must be way lower too. If you got a reflash...then the map doesn't match the mods. If you have the Ducati race ECU that came with the slip ons....i suspect that map doesn't match the exact mods on your bike. If the Ducati race map is for a full system exhaust ...and all you dis was use the slip ons....that's why it's rich and smells bad.
You are right, I am smelling gas and seeing a bit of smoke, my MPG is way lower, but the only mods i have are the termi slip-ons and the race ecu, i thought they should work fine. What are my options at fixing my map?
Locally we have a guy selling and setting up power comanders, that is it.
Cheers

·
Registered
307 Posts
You are right, I am smelling gas and seeing a bit of smoke, my MPG is way lower, but the only mods i have are the termi slip-ons and the race ecu, i thought they should work fine. What are my options at fixing my map?
Cheers
Is the ECU set up for JUST the slip ons....or is it set up for a FULL exhaust system?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you could have a exhaust leak. I just did this same mod, dealer install with the DP chip, and neither my wife or I have noticed this. I have picked up a gas leak somewhere though as now I can smell raw gas for the first half tank of gas. I'm assuming you mean exhaust fumes and not gas fumes though.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is the ECU set up for JUST the slip ons....or is it set up for a FULL exhaust system?
Shouldn't matter, they both add 8% more fuel. The older model ECU for the slip-ons used to give a CEL warning if you removed the flapper motor, the new one for the slip-ons doesn't ( and is effectively the same as the one for full system).

The Performance cam ECU adds 18% more fuel to the setup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My wife complained about the fumes from the 2 into 1 exhaust, and I have a friend who's girlfriend was complaining about the same thing with slip-ons. I think it's a pretty common problem, but has less to do with fueling, and more to do with the way the turbulences behaves for the Hyper with a passenger. Like a pickup truck bed, the pocket of air actually blows in the opposite direction of travel. I wonder if an open face helmet would alleviate some of the problem.

Ted

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i always noticed fume smell from any bike you add pc and delete cat/full exhaust...but then a few weeks ago i noticed it really bad where it was making my eyes water..and came across this! zard quality!..had to take it off and tig it back together with penetration this time...those fricken zard guys dont even know how to weld! no penetration in any of their welds...:think:

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cheers
Did you install the airbox cover that came with the slip-ons? Did you install it correctly by removing or trimming the baffle blanket that fits between the top of the airbox and the tank? Failing to do so would cause your bike to run rich.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Are you sure your wife was not smelling the brown fumes from the taxis around you?
:-b

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you install the airbox cover that came with the slip-ons? Did you install it correctly by removing or trimming the baffle blanket that fits between the top of the airbox and the tank? Failing to do so would cause your bike to run rich.
Yep I did... I will recheck though cause the bike has been down since maybe the blanket moved or something is blocking the air box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts