Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Sport 1000. I'm curious as to what other years will fit this bike, as it seems that I've only seen the bike listed up to 2007 when searching for things like brake lines, pads, sprockets, etc. Is there a "generation change" I should know about, or has the bike gone relatively unchanged since it's introduction?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fairly unchanged, if you get brake lines, that will depend on you handle bars, might be different lengths. Very universal bikes! It is the 1000S right?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairly unchanged, if you get brake lines, that will depend on you handle bars, might be different lengths. Very universal bikes! It is the 1000S right?
Um... Sport 1000 on the tail. I have clipons.

Isn't the 1000S the one with the front fairing? :confused: I have no fairing.

Forgive me for my ignorance... I used to own a Suzuki. :p

I guess if I couldn't find specific fitting parts, for something like brake lines, I could order the universal lines cut to lenght?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What is it that you need to replace with the brake lines? They're already braided steel with a black sleeve. There shouldn't be very significant expansion there even under VERY heavy braking.

If you want better braking I'd suggest replacing the calipers and master with a 4p4p or at least a 4p2p set up.

If it helps to differentiate between them: The Biposto (2007 onwards) has two shocks, can have a passenger and an exhaust on each side. The clip ons are higher than the 2006 mono model and it has a wet clutch . The Mono (2006 only) has a single shock on the left and the exhaust on the right and no passenger, and has a dry clutch.

I'm purposely excluding the PS, GT and S out of this.

Have fun on the bike.

Um... Sport 1000 on the tail. I have clipons.

Isn't the 1000S the one with the front fairing? :confused: I have no fairing.

Forgive me for my ignorance... I used to own a Suzuki. :p

I guess if I couldn't find specific fitting parts, for something like brake lines, I could order the universal lines cut to lenght?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yeah, no "generation change" at all, except for the swingarm and clutch issues mentioned by Dave.

I have found that many on-line parts suppliers fail to update their sites so that this issue comes up a lot, especially on models that change little or not at all. They seem to concentrate on getting the updates done to their sites for the bikes that have changed a lot, and then fail to do the simple little updates for the machines that have not changed.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is it that you need to replace with the brake lines? They're already braided steel with a black sleeve. There shouldn't be very significant expansion there even under VERY heavy braking.
Yeah, I know they're already braided, after doing a little investigated... but you can't see that they're braided. Essentially, I want them to look better. I'm not looking for better performance... just a better look. But it's only gotten as far as looking so far. Asthetics improvement... nothing more. :eek:

And since someone brought up wet clutch/dry clutch... is it possible to put a dry clutch in the S1k Biposto? Big PITA, or is it relatively easy? On a scale of 1-10 with mechanical skills, I figure I'm about a 6.

·
Registered
309 Posts
And since someone brought up wet clutch/dry clutch... is it possible to put a dry clutch in the S1k Biposto? Big PITA, or is it relatively easy? On a scale of 1-10 with mechanical skills, I figure I'm about a 6.
I have no real idea, I'm probably a 2 on that scale (10 in good intentions though ...). I just heard this put so nicely:

"An easy way to do this is to swap engines."

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no real idea, I'm probably a 2 on that scale (10 in good intentions though ...). I just heard this put so nicely:

"An easy way to do this is to swap engines."

Hmm.... that doesn't sound promising. :p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It's actually quite straightforward.

All you need is the dry clutch (natch), outer protective cover of course and the engine case that surrounds the clutch (this one has the oil ways blocked off) and a clutch push rod and bushings.

I bought all the pieces and then had to change my mind on the project.

The engine will have to come out, split the cases to put in the different clutch parts swap the case and drop in the dry clutch.

Pick up the workshop manual and you've got a great winter project.

Here's my thread about it:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=53989&highlight=clutch

let us know what you end up deciding...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm... does sound quite involved. Maybe down the road a ways... but not right now. Oh well.

Currently I'm loooking through the pic thread, making a list of stuff I like.

Also trying to figure out why my odometer is on 662 miles, and the service light still hasn't come on. :confused:

Oh, and do you have a link of where I can buy (or maybe even download) the service manual?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That light is not tied to mileage, it is tied to the diagnostic system. If it comes on, it means you have a problem, not that you have reached a scheduled service point.

Don't think of it like a "service" light on your car, think of it like the "check engine" light on your car.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DOH! :p

So I was informed by the shop that when it's time for service, MAINT comes up on the dash when I start the bike. No light.

Idiot.

Anyway, bike is serviced. They even cleaned the mud off the swingarm from this morning's ride, which I was going to do when I got back. They probably think I'm going to mistreat this bike or something. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts